Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 4, May 6/7 ("Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Week)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home this week?
David Cook
2.74%
Syesha Mercado
5.48%
Jason Castro
84.93%
"Giggles" Archuleta
6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Top 4, May 6/7 ("Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Week)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 12:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David Cook should have flipped the arrangement styles of those two songs. As it was they were both kind of dull, in my opinion. Now, if he had made 'Hungry Like a Wolf' into an aching emo ballad and kept 'Bab O'Reilly' as a rockin' uptempo number he might have done quite well.

Syesha's 'Proud Mary' was just missing something for me... it wanted to be fun but was missing the spark she had in Andrew Lloyd Weber week. The second song was much better.

Castro's weird mainstream-hippy choices... not sure what to say. I hate when Idol contestants let the backup singers handle the main hook of the chorus as he did in 'I Shot the Sheriff'. And he seemed to be trying a faint Dylan impersonation with 'Mr. Tamborine Man'... I know Dylan wrote the song but it was just a strange thing to do.

David A's 'Stand By Me' was nicely done. The Sean Kingston nod was a good touch. 'Love Me Tender' was actually a very good arrangement as well. He was 2/2 tonight, but I'm still not as wowed by his voice as everyone else seems to be. It's not bad, but it's just missing that extra *something* that some of the past runaway favorites had.
Old 05-07-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRG
David Cook should have flipped the arrangement styles of those two songs. As it was they were both kind of dull, in my opinion. Now, if he had made 'Hungry Like a Wolf' into an aching emo ballad and kept 'Bab O'Reilly' as a rockin' uptempo number he might have done quite well.
I thought the exact thing.
Old 05-07-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm only still watching because I've seen the whole season. I did give up on Season 3, but I hated everyone left. I still like Syesha and am warming to Cook, as cocky as he is.
Old 05-07-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On yesterday's Ellen (in Chicago) she had on Carly and Michael Johns.. for a performance "you won't see anywhere else" I only heard one of the two songs they sang, U2's "One." Granted, they were outside and it was freezing..but to me, it sounded like they were trying to out scream each other.
Old 05-07-08, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Cook could sell an album I'd guess but really who would Archuleta's audience be?
Well, speaking from personal observation, the good folks at Sunnydale Retirement Home would eat it up.

On second thought, maybe the clients from Six Feet Under.
Old 05-07-08, 01:16 PM

The wheels have come off this show so bad that it's not funny. Castro had never forgetten his words. . .until now, a week after the Paula's Two Songs for the Price of One debacle. He threw his performances. He wants out in the worst possible way.

Cook sounded exhausted. Both of his songs were just kind of there.

Archie was pretty good, but smashing the competition? Come on, Simon! He must have been drinking from Paula's special Coke cup.

Syesha was the best. She wasn't great, but firmly solid on both songs. And she's the only one who actually cares about winning at this point. Archie cares, but only so he can keep his stage dad off his case.

What a terrible season. It's becoming worse than last year.
Old 05-07-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jason was just BEGGING to be sent home! "Mr Tambourine Man" was OK ("OK" for what he usually does), but that "I Shot the Sheriff" was... oh, I don't even have the word. Nobody mentioned that it was Eric Clapton's arrangement (according to TMZ, anyway), but still -- ugh! The thing I fear is that Simon gave him the "kiss of life" by making the "pack your bags" comment.

Syesha should stay. It's taken a long time to warm up to her and not that I'd buy her album, but she deserves to stay after last night.

David Cook is in danger if the voting block went for Jason to save him. David Cook is the most likely to be "forgotten" by the voters.

Archuleta was flawless and I hate that. I think I'm resigned to him winning and I look forward to reveling in his awkwardness and discomfort with the title.

So, I guess I'm going with Jason going home even though the audience analyst in me says Syesha and the "this is the SHOCKING elimination week" historian in me says David Cook. I can still HOPE it will be Archie.

I'm not voting.
Old 05-07-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As someone who really likes Castro, I think he has to go home this week. The only other person in jeopardy (not based on performance) would be Sayesha and there is no way in hell she should go home this week.
Old 05-07-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Apologies if it has been mentioned before, but the thing about Archuleta that bugs me is that he'll sing a little bit of the verse and then repeat the chorus several times with minor changes. I bet his dad is behind this so he's least likely to forget the words again.
Old 05-07-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't like how he sucks in air like Darth Vader between each line.
Old 05-07-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes!
Old 05-07-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bye bye Towelie

Last edited by Jadzia; 05-07-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, that was a happiest boot-off in AI history.
Old 05-07-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bo Bice's performance was the first one all season that I watched without ffwding.
Old 05-07-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Bye bye Towelie

Awwwww.
Old 05-07-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Bo Bice's performance was the first one all season that I watched without ffwding.
I leaned HARD on the FF.
Old 05-07-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
I leaned HARD on the FF.

Good thing we were not in the same room, there would have been a remote rumble...
Old 05-08-08, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I shot the Tambourine Man!!

C'ya dreadlocks. Go enjoy Harold & Kumar.
Old 05-08-08, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Archie cares, but only so he can keep his stage dad off his case.

ARCHIE'S LIVING NIGHTMARE:

Old 05-08-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I thought Jason was a decent (not great) singer early on in the competition. It's weird but the last few weeks have erased all that. Or maybe I was smoking what he was smoking.

I don't know.... I think Jason knew he couldn't win and was just glad to make top 10 so he can do the tour. He didn't seem too unhappy about being voted off.
Old 05-08-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jason didn't want to be bothered with learning 3 songs for next week's episode.
Old 05-08-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue

What a terrible season. It's becoming worse than last year.
I think this is becoming my least favorite ever.. and that is saying somethin gafter the Fantasia v Degarmo season.

The show is in a free fall. I am interested in seeing how they will adjust the show for next season. I really think Simon needs some new partners.. he is really bored and the edge of him arguing with these two other judges has subsided. They need some judges who can really irritate him that he won't feel bad about picking on like he does with Paual. She has to go.

They also have to steer the show away from these seasoned perfromers like Cook and Archuleta, let's get back to some raw talent.

I liked Bo Bice last night though, thought he was pretty solid.
Old 05-08-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't crazy about Bo Bice's song, the lyrics were a little iffy but the chorus / hook was OK. But his performance was good, he's back into his element (Southern rock).
Old 05-08-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is the lack of remaining talent available from this 'pool'. And its becoming a joke. More people are standing in line just to get their mug on TV and have no desire whatsoever to be recording artists. That or they are just mentally unstable freaks shows. 99% of the talent is worthless and Simon knows it. Its tedious now and something needs to change or the show is doomed.

Sanjaya is the real reason tho. And I am completely serious here. Many people were ticked off this guy was allowed to remain and mock not only himself but the talent that remained. He ruined any legitimacy the show had left.
Old 05-08-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a sobering thought: there were more American Idol votes cast on Tuesday night than in all the 2008 presidential primaries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.