Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 4, May 6/7 ("Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Week)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home this week?
David Cook
2.74%
Syesha Mercado
5.48%
Jason Castro
84.93%
"Giggles" Archuleta
6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Top 4, May 6/7 ("Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Week)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Just a sobering thought: there were more American Idol votes cast on Tuesday night than in all the 2008 presidential primaries.
Yes, but how many UNIQUE votes?
Old 05-08-08, 04:54 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I shot the Tambourine Man!!
That made me laugh too.
Old 05-08-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bo Bice was channeling Lenny Kravitz. He's always been a pretty good performer. Song itself was kind of bleh.

What did Curly say right before he sang "I shot the Sheriff"? He was mumbling something and I think Randy started laughing.
Old 05-08-08, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
They also have to steer the show away from these seasoned perfromers like Cook and Archuleta, let's get back to some raw talent.
I feel ya, bro, and agree with most of your assessment...but you can't get much rawer than Amanda or Jason.

To use analogies from 60's shows, there's a big difference between Ed Sullivan and Ted Mack.

The trick is in finding the balance. Also, when the show is taken out of the hands of the judges (not that these three have shown themselves to be really accurate judges of performances in many instances), it becomes a popularity contest. Then again, the idea is to pick someone that people "idolize"...not necessarily to reward the best talent. Just think of some of the most incredibly talented musicans you admire most and compare their financial & popular success to the Billboard Top 40.

I guess as long as the public picks the winners, there's always going to be a tendency toward mediocrity even from the people with talent.

Mediocrity sells. Originality doesn't.
Old 05-08-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah! Let's go back to a time when we had raw, unseasoned talent like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood...
Old 05-09-08, 07:53 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Yeah! Let's go back to a time when we had raw, unseasoned talent like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood...
And Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice, Chris Daughty...
Old 05-09-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
And Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice, Chris Daughty...
I hate him, but you have to include Clay Aiken as well.
Old 05-10-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Read all about it.

AP: David Archuleta's dad banned from 'Idol' rehearsal

The Associated Press
Backstage meddling has caught up with American Idol favorite David Archuleta's dad, who's been banned from rehearsals, a person working for the TV talent contest said Friday.
Jeff Archuleta was told this week by producers that he can no longer join his 17-year-old son David as he prepares for the show, the person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. The person wasn't authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

IDOL CHATTER: Comment on the show's latest news
The show's action was first reported Friday by the online website TMZ.

David Archuleta of Murray, Utah, is one of three contestants left as the top-rated Fox show heads toward the May 20-21 finale. The fresh-faced teenager with the big voice has consistently been deemed a front-runner by the judges and been a consistent fan favorite.

Jeff Archuleta's intense backstage involvement had become a source of concern for the series, the person connected with American Idol said — but it was a lyric change on Tuesday's show that pushed producers to act.

Despite a warning, Jeff Archuleta insisted on altering "Stand by Me," one of two songs his son sang on the show Tuesday. By adding a verse from Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls," the father incurred additional costs for American Idol, the person said.

Fox declined comment. Attempts to reach Jeff Archuleta for comment were unsuccessful. A phone number listed under his name in Murray, Utah, was no longer in service, and Fox did not immediately respond to a request Friday evening for help in contacting the family.

Earlier Friday, David Archuleta was honored at a hometown celebration held at his high school in Murray, which Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman declared "David Archuleta Day."

The singer and his family declined to be interviewed at the event, but David Archuleta did speak with the Salt Lake City Fox affiliate, KSTU-TV. "Wow," he exclaimed as he viewed the cheerleading squad outside his stretch limousine.

The other finalists left in competition for the Idol title and a record contract are David Cook and Syesha Mercado.
Old 05-11-08, 06:15 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Saw this on CNN this morning.

I cried a little...

... and they were tears of joy!

Old 05-11-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel sorry for the kid. He's obviously a bundle of nerves on a normal day.. I can't imagine what this is going to do to him.

Of course, there's always the possibility that this is exactly what he needs:
his father not in the audience.
Old 05-12-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I am resigned to the fact that Archie-bot will win, but I have no idea why people are voting for him. This year unlike the Fox hype was the worst year of talent they have ever had.
Old 05-12-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
I hope Archuleta gets kicked off this week so we can watch his father go apeshit.