DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dancing with the Stars - (5/5/08 & 5/6/08) - 5 couples & 100th Episode Special (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/530904-dancing-stars-5-5-08-5-6-08-5-couples-100th-episode-special.html)

Goldberg74 05-05-08 05:20 PM

Dancing with the Stars - (5/5/08 & 5/6/08) - 5 couples & 100th Episode Special

Double the fun!

Episode 608a - Mon May 5 8/7c - 1h30m

The six remaining couples must perform two dances they have never done before. Here are their dances:
  • Cristián & Cheryl - Tango, Mambo
  • Mario & Karina - Viennese Waltz, Jive
  • Jason & Edyta - Tango, Samba
  • Marissa & Tony - Foxtrot, Mambo
  • Kristi & Mark - Quickstep, Samba

Special Episode - Tues May 6 8/7c - 1 Hour
"Dancing with The Stars: Judges' All Time Favorite Dances"

Episode 608b - Tues May 6 9/8c - 1 Hour
The show will celebrate its 100th episode on Tuesday, May 6, 2008. As announced on the show, more than 30 former cast member are scheduled to perform. These include new routines by Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough, Melanie Brown and Maksim Chmerkovskiy, and a special appearance by Mario Lopez who will be doing a number with the cast of A Chorus Line which he is currently starring in on Broadway. Country superstar group Rascal Flatts will also be performing. (Wikipedia)

Old threads and results:

Goldberg74 05-05-08 05:24 PM

Can I get a Mod to edit the poll please?

I accidentally put Priscilla Presley & Louis van Amstel in instead of Cristián de la Fuente & Cheryl Burke.

So can you please make the switch for me?

Thanks in advance.

cmleidi 05-05-08 09:24 PM

Jason and Edyta's second dance was awful. Bruno was right. I had the mute on and I thought they were dancing a rumba. So obvious the judges are playing favorites with giving that dance a 23. If it had been Marissa, she would have gotten 21 or lower.

Goldberg74 05-05-08 09:43 PM

At this point in the competition, Mario needs to go.

I was pleasantly surprised with Cristían tonight. That was some great choreography on Cheryl's part.

Ranger 05-05-08 10:11 PM

Stacy won't be on tomorrow?

onebyone 05-05-08 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I was pleasantly surprised with Cristían tonight. That was some great choreography on Cheryl's part.

I really enjoyed them tonight, especially the Michael Jackson number. He seemed looser that ever. Whatever pain pills he is on really seem to agree with him.

With everyone I liked gone, my vote is up for grabs week by week and he got mine this go around.

Can't wait for tomorrow's show!

Jadzia 05-05-08 11:47 PM

I thought Cristian's dancing was extremely over-scored, especially the first number. He lunged around like he was counting in his head. I was really surprised how much the judges liked it because I said "That was awful" out loud after it was over.

cmleidi 05-06-08 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought Cristian's dancing was extremely over-scored, especially the first number. He lunged around like he was counting in his head. I was really surprised how much the judges liked it because I said "That was awful" out loud after it was over.

It was definitely overscored, but then Kristi and Jason have been overscored for weeks now so it's nice to see someone else benefiting from the practice. How many times has Jason received tens for dances where he's stumbled and/or slipped?

das Monkey 05-06-08 01:32 AM

Edyta's outfit showed just how terrible she thought their Samba would be.

das

Patman 05-06-08 01:36 AM

I also thought the judges over-scored Cristian and Cheryl, but they did bring the heat, the energy, and the snap to both of their dances, much moreso than any other couple, so I'm okay with them finishing in the lead for the night. Cristian definitely danced looser and with attitude.

Marissa is probably a goner.

Mario and Karina had the best looking lift in their first dance.

Hitman was on point for his first dance, but did look pretty mediocre in his second dance.

Kristi's outfit in the second dance was ridiculous, but the degree of difficulty for the second dance was much higher than any other dance in the 2nd round.

DWilson 05-06-08 01:42 AM

It would not surprise me to see Kristi in the bottom two tomorrow night, since she doesn't have the emotional tug of Christrian or Marissa, who are now both cast as underdogs fighting to stay in the game.

I must admit it was nice to see Len Goodman's "man-crush" Jason get scolded a little.

big whoppa 05-06-08 03:03 AM

Mario and Karina had the best (first) dance of the night. Very romantic. Karina was floating throughout.

Cristian and Cheryl were definitely overscored. The first one looked horrible. It definitely did not flow with "Billy Jean." Like us the judges seemed focus on whether Cristian's arm would screw things up and missed other parts of the dance. IMO. Second one was just OK. Cristian has an official "handicap" now.

Kristi looked goofy with the thing on her head.

That's all. PS. Marissa's time is up.

cmleidi 05-06-08 03:56 AM

It was typical to see Marissa called out for dropping her foot while Jason gets high scores for a dance where he slipped at least twice that I saw. The judges can't let their golden athlete slip too far down. If the judges had been honest in their marks, he would have been in last place. The judges concoct their scores around what story they want to tell. They got tired of Kristi being number one so they had to knock her down while building Jason up. Cristian injures his arm so the comeback story will be the plot and they overscore him. Marissa and Mario are expendable so they are underscored.

Red Dog 05-06-08 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Edyta's outfit showed just how terrible she thought their Samba would be.

das

:lol: That was a great outfit, but then she always 'dresses' well.

I say the winner of the night was Mario; for getting to play with a bikini-clad Karina in the pool. I did think their ballroom was the best one.

That judging was all over the place last night, particularly from Carrie-Ann. So what's new. Then again, I was all ready to -rolleyes- at another undeserved score (I didn't think their ballroom was that good) for Cristian/Cheryl but they did rock that latin dance.

Clearly, Tubby is in a gots to go situation.

Red Dog 05-06-08 10:39 AM

Should be interesting to see which dances make their all-time top-10. I know the first 6 I would put in there (I didn't see S1):

Stacy/Tony - Samba
Stacy/Tony - Jive
Mario I/Karina - Tango
Mario I/Karina - Freestyle
Drew/Cheryl - Paso
Apolo/Jullianne - Paso

big whoppa 05-06-08 11:15 AM

Helio/Julianne's Quick Step (The Mask) seems like a shoe-in. I also loved their foxtrot to Bewitched or their dance to City of Angels. I guess they are one of my favorite couples. Mario I and Karina dances definitely. Maybe even John O'Hurley's Waltz from season 1 to be all-inclusive.

Burgundy LaRue 05-06-08 11:21 AM

Mario/Karina were the best for me. Their waltz was fantastic and the lift was perfectly done. Mario got a bit off in the jive, but managed to catch up by the end. Again, they had a good lift and Karina's dress for the jive was pretty. I just don't get why Len has such a burr in his boot when it comes to Mario. He's the best male celeb dancer they've got. He works hard and has clearly improved his posture. He's one of the few male celebs that has actually led his dances over the seasons. And he seems like a decent and well-adjusted guy. So what gives with comparing him to Britney Spears' cooter and calling his feet ugly while turning up his nose?

It makes no sense, unless Len is working some reverse psychology and trying to keep what happened to Sabrina last season from happening to Mario--where a talented, if a bit rough around the edges celeb leaves before other who aren't nearly as gifted.

Cristian/Cheryl were overscored big time. Though I give Cheryl credit for coming up with a decent tango to "Beat It." The musicians really need to come up with better songs than that. At least match the song to the dance, you idiots!

Kristi's samba dress look like two of the Fraggle Rock puppets had a death match and it was declared a draw. Butt-ugly was that thing.

Jason's samba was cuss-out-loud bad.

Marissa is in over her head. She should go this week and Cristian can schedule his surgery next week. A Jason/Kristi/Mario final would work for me.

magiccmom 05-06-08 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Should be interesting to see which dances make their all-time top-10. I know the first 6 I would put in there (I didn't see S1):

Stacy/Tony - Samba
Stacy/Tony - Jive
Mario I/Karina - Tango
Mario I/Karina - Freestyle
Drew/Cheryl - Paso
Apolo/Jullianne - Paso

Was Cheryl and Drews Paso with the cape? That was awesome, but I think their Thriller dance would be right up there.

Red Dog 05-06-08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Was Cheryl and Drews Paso with the cape? That was awesome, but I think their Thriller dance would be right up there.

The Thriller dance (complete with cape) was their Paso.

big whoppa 05-06-08 11:44 AM

Someone voted for Priscilla Presley. :lol:

magiccmom 05-06-08 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The Thriller dance (complete with cape) was their Paso.

aha! You are right!
Here is a refresher! That was a great dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L35FD9UZCQ

and here is another great performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L35FD9UZCQ

Cheryl was really on her game back then.

Red Dog 05-06-08 09:12 PM

I can see how Kelly and her outfit earned a 30 in S1. ;)

I had forgotten about Cheetohs Girl and her Paso last season. That was an excellent dance.

Red Dog 05-06-08 09:26 PM

Helio deserved to win S5, but when you look at those same best dances with the same girl compared to Apolo, you realize just how good Apolo was in S4. I can't understand how they rated Helio's higher than Apolo's in this top-10.

Red Dog 05-06-08 09:36 PM

Strange choice at #2.

I also guess they didn't want to double-dip on any one team. :down:

Red Dog 05-06-08 09:41 PM

I had forgotten that the first time Mario I and Karina did the tango that Len gave them a 6. :lol: Just goes to show how hard they graded Mario and Karina and how generous the scoring has gotten since S3.