Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Should Congress fund PBS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Would like to hear some examples of how PBS is so far left.
Bert and Ernie's nefarious scheme to entice children into choosing the gay lifestyle, for one.
Old 05-06-08, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Would like to hear some examples of how PBS is so far left.
Check out the PBS Ombudsman last week (source)

excerpt
On the other hand, as ombudsmen often say, this came across to me more as a conversation among theologians than it did as a truly probing interview with a truly controversial person who had said some truly inflammatory things and had become deeply inserted into a tight, hard-fought and historic race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

While I don’t endorse the language or the broader criticisms below, I do feel that there were not enough questions asked and some that were asked came across as too reserved and too soft, considering the volatility of the charges. For example, after replaying at length a Wright sermon delivered the first Sunday after 9/11— in which Wright invoked America’s role in slavery, taking the country from the Indians, bombing Grenada, Panama, Libyan leader Gaddafi’s house, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Iraq, plus state terrorism against Palestinians and black South Africans to conclude that the 9/11 attacks were “America’s chickens are coming home to roost” — Moyers asked: “When people saw the sound bites from it this year, they were upset because you seemed to be blaming America. Did you somehow fail to communicate?” As Howard Kurtz wrote in The Washington Post afterwards: “Thought he was blaming America? Where did anyone get that idea?” It would be hard to formulate a more delicate way to put a question to Wright about that sermon without challenging any of its content.

Moyers did seek to draw Wright out about his “God damn America” statement, and he called Wright to task, still rather gently, about Louis Farrakhan. But others of those inflammatory, and inaccurate, statements that Moyers himself laid out at the top of the program went largely unchallenged and those that did come up didn’t really get addressed until well into the hour-long program. Some comments, such as the HIV accusation, didn’t get addressed at all, nor were other questions asked about whether, for example, the U.S. should have invaded mainland Japan at the cost of countless lives, American and Japanese, rather than dropping two atomic weapons.

Last edited by auntiewinnie; 05-06-08 at 09:06 AM. Reason: forget to close parenthesis
Old 05-06-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
Bert and Ernie's nefarious scheme to entice children into choosing the gay lifestyle, for one.
Don't forget about snuffulupagus' ambiguous sexuality.
Old 05-06-08, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I would have absolutely no problem with the government paying for it outright, if I didn't see some Elmo toy selling a bagillion pieces every 3rd christmas or the Thomas the Tank Engine section of an aisle being 16 feet long. That rubs me the wrong way, but then I'm sure there is something here that I don't understand that would explain why things are this way.
I see your point, but that's on the head of the show's creators, not PBS. PBS doesn't own the licensing rights for these products. Now if PBS can get a small percentage of that money, then they're good to go.

As far as PBS being too left, didn't Tucker Carlson have a show on there once? I know he may not be classically right-wing, but I don't think PBS is nearly as steadfastly leftist as some make them to be.

I've got no problem with the government giving PBS any money. As mentioned, it just isn't enough to whine about.
Old 05-06-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine with it. PBS has received less and less from the govt. over the years anyway. I don't think the short commercials they have on now are a big deal. They should have more to get rid of the annoying pledge drives altogether. In truth, I haven't watch PBS since I was a kid. They do produce some mighty fine stuff on HDTV though.
Old 05-06-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Yeah, I feel sort of the same way. I would have absolutely no problem with the government paying for it outright, if I didn't see some Elmo toy selling a bagillion pieces every 3rd christmas or the Thomas the Tank Engine section of an aisle being 16 feet long. That rubs me the wrong way, but then I'm sure there is something here that I don't understand that would explain why things are this way.
From what I have read - Sesame Street is entirely self-sufficient because of their merchandising. I would assume most of their other kids shows are the same way.
Old 05-06-08, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
PBS has received less and less from the govt. over the years anyway.
Not true.

CPB appropritations (in millions)

2000 $300
2001 $340
2002 $350
2003 $362.8
2004 $377.8
2005 $386.8
2006 $396
2007 $400
2008 $393
2009 $400
2010 $420
Old 05-06-08, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
From what I have read - Sesame Street is entirely self-sufficient because of their merchandising.

Also not true (source ). For 2007, $52.3 million from licensing vs $99.5 million program expenses.
Old 05-06-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
Also not true (source ). For 2007, $52.3 million from licensing vs $99.5 million program expenses.
Interesting - Maybe the production costs were covered by licensing?
Old 05-06-08, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Does a majority in a poll on Parade's website translate into "an overwhelming majority of Americans"?
Well, I said it "looked" like a majority of Americans. Even with a given that Parade website goers are skewed demographically, the fact that it was a 3 to 1 difference, gave me that opinion.

Has anyone ever studied the history of Public Television? I did in college and I guess I feel it is still an important part of our society.

When we talk about educational television, and some people bring up Discovery and National Geographic, do we forget those are all cable stations. Some people think we need some help in this country with education. Doesn't educational television seem like the least we could do?
Old 05-06-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not true.

CPB appropritations (in millions)

2000 $300
2001 $340
2002 $350
2003 $362.8
2004 $377.8
2005 $386.8
2006 $396
2007 $400
2008 $393
2009 $400
2010 $420
My bad. Maybe adjusted for inflation. It's always been PBS' line during pledge drives.
Old 05-06-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doughboy
In theory, I have no problem with federal funding for PBS. But their politics are skewed so far to the left that I have a serious problem with my tax dollars going to them.

Get them to clean up their act and then I'd be for it.
i watch Frontline and some of the news shows once in a while. where is this left wing agenda?

the specials Frontline did on going to war in Iraq and how the US screwed things up in the first year were right on. i'd say PBS is more fair on political issues than CNN and their idiotic specials with Andersen Cooper

the educational shows on PBS seem to be a lot better researched than Discovery, Science or History Channels which pass of theories and hypotheses that aren't proven as accepted science. and PBS was one of the first stations to start HD broadcasts

Last edited by al_bundy; 05-06-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
My bad. Maybe adjusted for inflation. It's always been PBS' line during pledge drives.
I think the pitch that public broadcasting likes to use is something along the lines that the Federal funding they receive as a percentage of their overall funding is decreasing. But that does not mean (as the numbers show) that the level of CPB funding from Congress has been decreasing.
Old 05-06-08, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
where is this left wing agenda?
See post #27.
Old 05-06-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See post #27.
I was gonna reference the Bill Moyers lovefest with Rev. Wright, but you beat me to it. Honestly, anything involving Bill Moyers is a good example of PBS's left wing tendencies.
Old 05-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so he interviewed someone with crazy views? every news person does this. on msnbc they used to let some guy named savage talk

on frontline they did good interviews with administration officials and post 9/11 security without going into simple accusations that people's rights or privacy was violated. they explained things in detail including naming the silicon valley manufacturer of the network security hardware that the NSA uses to scan traffic
Old 05-06-08, 02:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
There is no need to fund PBS, as the market will determine which shows are worthy of being on another network. You don't think someone will pickup Frontline? That is a great show that I enjoy very much. Other shows like Sesame Street will be picked up too, so I just can't understand why the government needs to fund a Television station, when there are hundreds of channels out there? Is just makes no sense.
Old 05-06-08, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
so he interviewed someone with crazy views?
No, you missed the point.

To quote the ombudsman (again):
I do feel that there were not enough questions asked and some that were asked came across as too reserved and too soft, considering the volatility of the charges
and
It would be hard to formulate a more delicate way to put a question to Wright about that sermon without challenging any of its content
In other words, the interviewer failed to pursue the interviewee with the vigour one would have hoped for given the circumstances. Which leads one to wonder why.
Old 05-06-08, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by coli
There is no need to fund PBS, as the market will determine which shows are worthy of being on another network. You don't think someone will pickup Frontline? That is a great show that I enjoy very much. Other shows like Sesame Street will be picked up too, so I just can't understand why the government needs to fund a Television station, when there are hundreds of channels out there? Is just makes no sense.
Because, Public Television was created for the masses. Not everyone can spend $30 - $100 a month for cable television. I like the idea that a family with no money, can at least get some interesting education entertainment for free.

Don't you think it's a mistake to let all of our societal needs be determined by free enterprise?

I think there is a left leaning bent to Public Televison. One of the main reasons being that it pays less than network, or hell even cable television. Most of the producers with television experience willing to work for less money, usually have more altruistic, less right-wing mentalities. That may be a generalization, but I've worked in it, and it seems to be the case.
Old 05-06-08, 02:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Because, Public Television was created for the masses. Not everyone can spend $30 - $100 a month for cable television.

Don't you think it's a mistake to let all of our societal needs be determined by free enterprise?

I think there is a left leaning bent to Public Televison. One of the main reasons being that it pays less than network, or hell even cable television. Most of the producers with television experience willing to work for less money, usually have more altruistic, less right-wing mentalities. That may be a generalization, but I've worked in it, and it seems to be the case.

Yes, but PBS was created when there was only a handful of TV stations, and it was a niche that served its purpose, now 90% of homes have some sort of cable tv in their house, so times have definitely changed. You're saying it was created for the masses, I am saying it is really only funded anymore for a small minority, as Nickelodeon would definitely pick up Sesame Street and other kids shows, and CBS, Fox, ABC, or NBC would pick a show like Frontline.

Yes, everything should be determined by free enterprise, because it works. It may swing back and forth, like the housing market, but when something booms, and also corrects itself somewhere along the line.
Old 05-06-08, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by coli
Yes, everything should be determined by free enterprise, because it works.
Wow. I guess you really do feel that way.

And while I am not going to try to change your mind, I would like to think about that 10% who do not have cable television.
Old 05-06-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
I would like to think about that 10% who do not have cable television.
[keith olberman]And I would like you, SIR, to think about those US Americans who don't even have televsions.[/keith olberman]
Old 05-06-08, 03:46 PM

[keith olberman]And I would like you, SIR, to think about those US Americans who don't even have televsions.[/keith olberman]
I do, every damned day... and I cry until my bleeding heart is dry for those poor wretches.
Old 05-06-08, 03:58 PM

I've posted this before, it seems appropriate

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a41lJIhW7fA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a41lJIhW7fA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think the real value of public television comes from a children's programming perspective. I have far more sources of information as an adult, I could care less if some people at PBS aren't completely neutral.
Old 05-06-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, you missed the point.

To quote the ombudsman (again):
and

In other words, the interviewer failed to pursue the interviewee with the vigour one would have hoped for given the circumstances. Which leads one to wonder why.
nothing different than the big three networks and they got free wireless spectrum from the FCC

a lot of times people come on TV with the questions already agreed on

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.