TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of Horror Season 3: Fear Itself on NBC

Old 04-28-08, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masters of Horror Season 3: Fear Itself on NBC

Its stars in June..I guess no more nudity or bad language

Fear Itself Directors, Writers & Episodes
Source:NBC

NBC announced today official details for its upcoming summer horror series Fear Itself which is currently lensing in Canada. Thirteen episodes are being produced under a partnership between Industry Entertainment and Lionsgate.

The current list of directors contributing to the series are John Landis, Darren Bousman, Ronny Yu, Brad Anderson, Breck Eisner, Mary Harron, Stuary Gordon and Ernest Dickerson. On writing duties, you've got Joe Gangemi, Steve Niles, Dan Knauf, Lem Dobbs, Matt Venne, Richard Chizmar and Johnathan Schaech, Victor Sava, Drew McWeeny & Scott Swan, Mick Garris, Kelly Kennember and Max Landis.

Here is a breakdown of some of the episodes in the works:

"Eater," is directed by Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, "Masters of Horror") and written by Cemetery Dance Magazine publisher and editor Richard Chizmar ("From a Buick 8") & actor Johnathon Schaech ("Masters of Horror," Prom Night). A rookie cop (Elisabeth Moss) must spend her first night in the precinct watching over a serial killer, coined "The Eater" (Stephen R. Hart, "Shoot 'Em Up"). When her fellow cops start acting bizarre, she quickly learns that no one is who they seem. Russell Hornsby ("Lincoln Heights"), Pablo Schreiber ("The Wire") and Stephen Lee ("Boston Legal") also star.

"Spooked," is directed by Brad Anderson (The Machinist) and written by Matt Venne (White Noise 2: The Light). While on a stake out in a haunted house, a private eye (Eric Roberts) is made to confront the demons of his past. Jack Noseworthy ("Judging Amy"), Cynthia Watros ("Lost") and Larry Gilliard Jr. ("The Wire") also star.

"Community" is directed by Mary Harron (American Psycho) and written by Kelly Kennemer ("The Music Within"). When a young married couple, played by Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) and Shiri Appleby, find the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood, their lives seem...well...perfect. But as the dark underbelly of their neighborhood creeps to the surface, they soon realize that their neighbors will go to any extreme - even murder - to make sure that they comply with their twisted sense of conformity. John Billingsley ("Star Trek: Enterprise") also stars.

"Red Snow" has a screenplay written by Mick Garris (Riding the Bullet), from a story by Del Howison ("Dark Delicacies"). Breck Eisner (Creature from the Black Lagoon) will direct. When four criminals find themselves stranded in an old, snow-covered fort, they slowly discover both the fort and the seductive trio of sirens who reside there are filled with deadly secrets.

"Chance" is written by Lem Dobbs (The Score), with a director to be announced later. In the vein of such classic doppelganger stories as "Jekyll & Hyde" and Poe's "William Wilson," the episode explores a dreadful, classic battle that ensues when a man is confronted by his evil self.

"New Year's Day" will be directed by Darren Bousman (Saw II, III and IV), and is written by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) from a story by Paul Kane. A young woman wakes up in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by horrifying zombies.

"Family Man" will be directed by Ronny Yu (Freddy vs. Jason) and is written by Dan Knauf ("Carnivale," "Supernatural"). This action-charged, psychological thriller focuses on a likeable family man who switches bodies with a serial killer after a near-death experience. Now, he must fight from behind bars to keep the murderer from adding his family to the long list of victims.

"Skin & Bones" is written by Drew McWeeny & Scott Swan ("Masters of Horror") with a director to be announced later. When a cattle herder returns home to his family after being lost in the woods for days, he just doesn't seem the same. Soon, a terrible mortal struggle ensues against the terrifying monster possessing him.

"Something With Bite" is a reinvention of the classic werewolf story from writer Max Landis ("Masters of Horror"), the son of John Landis. Ernest Dickerson (NBC's "Heroes") will direct.

In "Nightmare in Lace," John Landis (An American Werewolf in London) will direct an episode written by Victor Salva (Jeepers Creepers). On her wedding day, a beautiful bride receives a mysterious note that reads: "The person you are marrying is a serial killer."

About the series Teri Weinberg, Executive Vice President, NBC Entertainment states in a press release: "We've teamed up with some of the most illustrious writers, actors and directors to create a distinctive, scare-filled series that will push the boundaries of this classic genre," said Weinberg. "'Fear Itself' will deliver memorable and horrifying moments that will keep fans on the edge of their seats, begging for more on this fun-filled ride of terror."

Stay tuned for more episode info as it comes in!
Old 04-28-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sigh. Toned down Masters of Horror? Wonderful.
Old 04-28-08, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up -- glad I don't have to renew Showtime.
Old 04-29-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I'll just wait to see what they'll do with the DVD release.
Old 04-29-08, 09:06 AM

When was the last time an anthology series on network television wasn't a massive ratings disaster? I guess lack of original content post writer's strike will hopefully prevent NBC from killing this after 2 episodes.
Old 04-29-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't get why Showtime dropped this series considering it was their #2 rated program of the year. Whatever. I'm sure this'll be watered-down crap on TV, hopefully beefed up a bit on DVD. I'll probably watch it, but I'm not banking on it being any good.
Old 04-30-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Pretty horrible. Show goes from being conceptualized as a "pull no punches" series for horror directors (though they still let Showtime banish Miike from the airwaves) to kneejerk censoring, network tv. So much for unbridled creativity

I have no interest in the current wave of PG-13 skewed horror films, and Fear Itself cannot help but pander to those same standards.

I'm sure I'll watch the Gordon and Yu segments just because I'm a fan but probably wont go out of my way for the other segments unless I hear they are exceptionally good.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-30-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
No Mick Garris at the helm + Network censorship =

I'll consider renting the uncensored versions when they're released.
Old 04-30-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll record a couple and see. But my expectations are not too high for this.
Old 04-30-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the minority, I guess; I welcome this network change.

One of the biggest problems for me with the Showtime run, the gore and especially the nudity was incredibly forced at times, so that the channel could have some sort of hook to bait viewers with, and they succeeded, but it was often at the expense of minor things like good writing, directing, acting, or even effective scenes (with a few exceptions).

NBC dropping Garris as a general overseer was a smart, promising move (seriously, what has this guy done to gain such a reputation in the horror field?), and perhaps the fact that they can't rely on massive gore anymore will force the writers to actually write up something decent and do a "show nothing, suggest everything" approach to the material, which, if done properly, can be very effective.
Old 04-30-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
could be the change needed to make the show watchable.
Old 04-30-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Fear Itself Directors, Writers & Episodes
Source:NBC

...[blah blah blah]...
Where in this press release does it say that "Fear Itself" is a continuation of "Masters Of Horror"? If I had read this in the trades, I would have assumed that it is a rip off of MoH (with the participation of some former contributers).
Old 04-30-08, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peep
Where in this press release does it say that "Fear Itself" is a continuation of "Masters Of Horror"? If I had read this in the trades, I would have assumed that it is a rip off of MoH (with the participation of some former contributers).
I think its a combination of a continuation and a rip-off.
Old 05-03-08, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Peep

Here is the Trailers...would that help establish it?

Fear Itself
Old 05-03-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I couldn't get that player to work, so I'll have to take your word on it. I'm assuming that they actually say that it's the third season of "Masters Of Horror" because the press release definately did not.
Old 05-04-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I got the player to work fine. The "trailer" never mentions "Masters of Horrors". It just mentions the segments are directed by the directors of... and it runs off some horror movie titles.

Looks like it might be interesting... but I'm more worried about the pacing since it'll be filmed with commercial interruption in mind. Yes, one can DVR it but the pacing is still off. "Eater" looks good and I'll probably check it out.