DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dancing with the Stars - (4/28/08 & 04/29/08) - 6 couples, 2 dances (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/530483-dancing-stars-4-28-08-04-29-08-6-couples-2-dances.html)

Goldberg74 04-28-08 01:15 PM

Dancing with the Stars - (4/28/08 & 04/29/08) - 6 couples, 2 dances

Double the fun!

Episode 607a - Mon April 28 8/7c - 1h30m

The six remaining couples must perform two dances they have never done before. Here are their dances:
  • Cristián & Cheryl - Viennese Waltz, Samba
  • Shannon & Derek - Tango, Mambo
  • Mario & Karina - Foxtrot, Mambo
  • Jason & Edyta - Quickstep, Paso Doble
  • Marissa & Tony - Tango, Rumba
  • Kristi & Mark - Viennese Waltz, Cha-Cha-Cha

Episode 607b - Tues April 29 9/8c - 1 Hour
The Results Show... and one couple goes home!

Old threads and results:

GuessWho 04-28-08 01:23 PM

Best part of this week:

http://www.timinganddelivery.com/wp-...007/09/dl1.jpg

DWilson 04-28-08 05:09 PM

Well, let's see... Kristi and Mark should have no trouble with either, -they can pull off elegant (its easier with Kristi than with Mark and his ...fishy...expressions), but I expect the cha cha to be the highlight (a "Fun" dance and there's more to work with).

Normally I'd pick Marissa to go, but Shannon and Derek are coming into the week with a definite disadvantage, -and a big target on their back, -as well as more Latin dances requiring hip-movement. I guess it'll depend if the show is setting them up for a comeback or a smackdown...

Goldberg74 04-28-08 08:43 PM

Weird night all around.

Poor Cristian, that looked like it really hurt. I hope he comes back tomorrow... we really need to see Shannon go.

Her fake butt, boobs, and hair was way too much tonight.

And the MNF Theme as a Paso was really, really strange.

das Monkey 04-28-08 11:11 PM

Len can really be a dick sometimes. Scoring Kristi's Viennese Waltz below Marissa's Tango was absurd. We haven't seen such ridiculous favorite bashing since Season 3. Giving that Cha-Cha-Cha an 8 is inexcusable.

The <i>Star Wars</i> Tango was OK. The <i>Superman</i> Paso was strange, but it somewhat worked. The <i>MNF</i> version was a complete failure.

Tough break for Cristián. I don't think he's that great a dancer, and he certainly wasn't going to win this thing, but it's very unfortunate for something like that to happen during a dance. I hope he gets a chance to leave the show on a better note.

das

DWilson 04-28-08 11:50 PM

Unfortunately, Len's particular pet peeves all alligned tonight and Kristi paid for it. I thought both dances were excellent, both at least deserving a 27. On the other hand, while I thought Jason's quickstep was entertaining, it kinda bugged me that it seemed "heavily inspired" by Julianne's "The Mask" routine with Helio. The MNF thing also seemed like a re-tread of the "Superman" number from last year. At first I was impressed by Jason, but as the weeks have passed he just seems over-ranked by the judges.

Mrissa is probably the most improved dancer. She was actually pretty good tonight, -for once it didn't look like Tony was dancing with his mother. However, I don't think her dances are nearly as challenging as the other contestants.

Shame about Christian. I was expecting more of a sympathy vote from the judges, and I'm wondering if a sympathy vote will save him.

Of course, I'm still getting the vibe that the fan vote will be the end of Shannon and Derek, though I guess they made the best of a bad situation they created, though the "in-jokes" of the last dance weren't as smooth as they intended. Unfortunately, underneath all the glitter and the fake butt and the fake cans, she's just a gangly girl...

I just hope the slightly lower scores for Kristi don't result in a "shocking elimination".

Dubya 04-29-08 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Len can really be a dick sometimes. Scoring Kristi's Viennese Waltz below Marissa's Tango was absurd. We haven't seen such ridiculous favorite bashing since Season 3. Giving that Cha-Cha-Cha an 8 is inexcusable.

A local news crew is covering Kristi while she is out there fliming the show. They said after the show they overheard Len saying he was close to giving her a 7 for it.

Patman 04-29-08 08:02 AM

Marissa - Good on her first dance, but her second dance lacked content and was dull.

Cristian - Oddly enough he's better on ballroom (much more fluid now), and not as good on the latin dances (odd hip action), but that arm twist did look really painful, initially thought he got a muscle spasm because his arms looked a little too pumped up.

Kristi - she's a pleasure to watch, and Len is really out-of-step. She's really loosened up, and just letting it rip.

Mario - the problem with Mario is his frame, which is basically the same for either ballroom or latin dances, so he looks too loose with the ballroom dances, until he gets some discipline, he'll be dancing by the seat of his pants for the remainder of his stay on the show.

Shannon - as long as she doesn't have to raise her arms fully extended, she looks okay during the dance, but as soon as the arms are fully extended, her gawkiness flares up. But I enjoyed the augmented hip action and turns.

Xerxes - his first dance was amazingly light for a man of his size, just a lot of fun and energy. The second dance had some nifty swings/lifts, but didn't flow at all.

Jadzia 04-29-08 09:08 AM

I feel bad for Cristian. While they were dancing, I was thinking "Damn, Cheryl looks like she needs to lay off the craft services table" and then he hurt his arm from swinging her around. Oops.

sptrout 04-29-08 09:25 AM

I did not understand Cristián & Cheryl's scoring. The first thing that Tom asked Mary Ann about how they would judge the dance and she said "up until the injury." However, the judges all scored the dance as a "7," which implies that either they really did not like the first part of the dance, or they did downgrade their scores based on dance after the injury. I am sure that they would have got a much better number than 21 if they had been able to finish their routine as planned.

das Monkey 04-29-08 09:51 AM

They weren't docking for the injury specifically, but the injury prevented them from performing steps and content essential to the dance (compulsories, if you will), which resulted in lower scores. What Carrie Ann meant was that they wouldn't penalize him for standing around on stage grabbing his arm in pain, but they also couldn't give him credit for steps he never performed. 21 seemed a very reasonable score that was fair to the other contestants but didn't knock him down so far that he can't be saved by public vote if they want him to continue.

das

hardcore 04-29-08 10:05 AM

Carrie Ann needs to either just shut up about all the lifts, or at least be consistent about scoring penalties. She told Jason that there was a lift in his Paso, and still gave it a 9. Is she suggesting that she would have given it a 10 otherwise? The whole performance came off as stiff and awkward, and given the comments it wasn't going to get any 10s, even without the lift.

Red Dog 04-29-08 12:49 PM

I think I became a Miami Dolphins fan after seeing Edyta in that outfit. :drool: I always like her creativity and outfits on the Pasos.

I figured that Mario and America's most hated pro dancer had no chance going into the evening. Then Cristian went and got hurt - now with that extra sympathy vote in his corner, Mario and America's most hated pro dancer have less than a zero chance with the carbon blobs.

There are 3 teams I'd send home before Mario - the fat chick, Shannon, and Cristian.

sptrout 04-29-08 12:53 PM

Here is a link to TV Guide's Behind the Scenes Blog page and it sounds like Cristián injury could be serious. Cheryl reported that she heard Cristián's arm "crack" at the very beginning of the routine. It will be interesting to hear how he is tonight, and how they handle the situation going forward.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...Turn/800038546

Slightly different subject: I have never read how American Idol would handle a situation where a contestant was so sick that they could not perform on Tuesday night. It has almost happen several times including this year. Will it be an automatic elimination?

fujishig 04-29-08 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sptrout
Here is a link to TV Guide's Behind the Scenes Blog page and it sounds like Cristián injury could be serious. Cheryl reported that she heard Cristián's arm "crack" at the very beginning of the routine. It will be interesting to hear how he is tonight, and how they handle the situation going forward.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...Turn/800038546

Slightly different subject: I have never read how American Idol would handle a situation where a contestant was so sick that they could not perform on Tuesday night. It has almost happen several times including this year. Will it be an automatic elimination?

On "So You Think You Can Dance," one of the female dancers (Jesse Peralta, I think) couldn't perform. I remember because her partner had to perform their couple's dance with a professional, who while I'm sure was an excellent dancer looked like a bigger version of Bette Midler, and the contrast was jarring. In that show, however, the bottom three dance for their lives the next day, and she went home anyway. If an injury is serious, i think AI or any show would send the contestant home. However, because AI is a vocal competition, they usually just have the sick people sing anyway, and reference it (for the pity votes) later.

Ranger 04-29-08 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think I became a Miami Dolphins fan after seeing Edyta in that outfit. :drool: I always like her creativity and outfits on the Pasos.

I figured that Mario and America's most hated pro dancer had no chance going into the evening. Then Cristian went and got hurt - now with that extra sympathy vote in his corner, Mario and America's most hated pro dancer have less than a zero chance with the carbon blobs.

There are 3 teams I'd send home before Mario - the fat chick, Shannon, and Cristian.

Sure, I'd be fine with Jason, Mario, and Kristi in the top 3. I'm just happy that Shannon made it this far.

I didn't pay attention to every dance, but I remember Cristian getting a pep talk from his daughter for the v waltz, and then we see him dance to the song "Make love to you." Seriously, who picks these songs?

Kristi is simply the best celebrity dance I've ever seen on this show. She still has some nice moves on the ice.

Did Cristian say if it was an old injury? For a second, I thought Cheryl was hurt, too. He looked like he kind of dropped Cheryl. But I think he just didn't want to pick her up.

big whoppa 04-29-08 03:14 PM

High drama for the past couple of weeks. Derek and Shannon's comments after the judging and Cristian's injury on stage live. I knew something was wrong with his arm though he tried to carry on the best he could. Mark had an injury with his arm or shoulder dancing with Sabrina.

I liked both dances with Kristi especially her spins into a drop. A nice touch. To be fair, she and Mark went into hip hop which Len doesn't like. Then they went and decided to use an umbrella and Len also has a thing with props. He's a stickler with overusing chairs in the past. The judges are usually going to judge people who are technically better dancers on a different scale. It happened to at least Mario Lopez.

I agree about the Monday Night Football theme + paso looking like the Superman dance Edyta did with Cameron. It didn't work as well though.

Tough call this week. It might be between Cristian and Shannon (one might get the sympathy vote and the other the hate vote) but I'll go with Cristian.

DWilson 04-29-08 04:30 PM

I hadn't cleared my DVR and I re-watched the Christian and Cheryl keeping in mind the TV Guide account of events. When Cheryl falls back on Christian's arm, she pops back up but she's definetly thrown off for a second, -there's a startled look on her face (she may have also seen a reaction in Christian's face, which was away from the camera) and then she jumps back into her "game face". Then Christian starts to favor the arm and it goes from there...

On Week Three or Four, Kristi badly hurt her ankle the weekend before, but didn't really tell anyone (this was when they were making a big deal about Derek's neck) and just used ice packs and ibuprofen to get over it (an attitude that came from her Olympic training. Mind you, she was dancing in three-inch heels. I gained a lot more respect for her after I heard that.

Burgundy LaRue 04-29-08 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sptrout

In Season 2 of AI, Corey Clark was kicked off because he lied about his jail record. In that case, there was no elimination. The votes carried over for the following week. If Cristian is too injured to continue, then I imagine that everyone else will get a walkover into next week.

Max Bottomtime 04-29-08 06:18 PM

I must be the only person who agreed with Len. The last dance of the finals is for freestyle, not during the middle of the competition. I picked Kristi to win when I first found out about the cast this season, but I felt she knew she was so far ahead that she didn't have to compete last night. Her second dance reminded me of Laila Ali's freestyle. She went into the last dance leading and then did a cheerleader routine.

Goldberg74 04-29-08 08:26 PM

Pour some sugar on me! :rock: :bow: :rock2: :beer2:

Obey The D 04-29-08 08:33 PM

Pour Some Sugar On Me sounded so good I thought for a minute that they just threw in a Hysteria cd and pretended to play along....oh wait

Ranger 04-29-08 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Pour some sugar on me! :rock: :bow: :rock2: :beer2:

Hearing that after an hour of American Idol, it was like... Well, I don't know. It was a great performance.

magiccmom 04-29-08 09:19 PM

Def Leopard Rocks!
And let's hear it for one arm drummers!!:rimshot:
Im gonna miss Shannon and Dereks heating up relationship...
Kenny Mayne with Jerry Rice and Len was some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen! esp. the farting!:fart:

onebyone 04-29-08 09:19 PM

I love Dance Center. Cracks me up every single time. rotfl