Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica "Escape Velocity" 4/25/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of this weeks episode of BSG?
Ugh, horrible stuff.
10.39%
Eh. I didn't care for it.
20.78%
It was OK.
40.26%
I enjoyed it.
19.48%
Fantastic Episode!!!
9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Battlestar Galactica "Escape Velocity" 4/25/08

Old 04-29-08, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heat
I'm not crazy about the course that this show has taken, I miss the space dogfights, exploding ships, the clear-cut lines between good and bad.
Assuming you were being sarcastic, well said!
Old 04-29-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not crazy about the course that this show has taken, I miss the space dogfights, exploding ships, the clear-cut lines between good and bad.
I don't need a dog fight or action ever week but this is just creeping along and these people are painful to watch.
Old 04-29-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
You must have missed pretty much every episode of the show. The main reason I like it is because it's about blurring lines and realistic characters.

Watch Star Trek for clear-cut stuff. I've moved on.
Old 04-29-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it was alright, I liked the "old gods die hard" line. I just wonder if this Baltar thing is going anywhere.

I really didn't care for the "pain" talk with Tigh.

I'm sure this week will be good.
Old 04-30-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with those who think this was a lame episode.

You know the biggest thing I don't like about this show (the show as a whole, not just this ep)? The ponderous speechifying that this show's self-indulgent writers put in their characters' mouths. They want it to seem like they're deep thinkers speaking deep truths when in fact it's all just drivel; it all comes off as inane rambling. Take Baltar's dialog in this ep as a perfect example. Normally, I just ignore this as there's plenty of interesting plot development going on to keep me occupied. But in an ep like this that's boring as all hell to begin with and where ponderous speechifying seems to be the ep's theme, it can't be ignored.

The writers should just stick to plot development and leave the "deep truths" to writers who know what they're talking about.
Old 04-30-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I know you guys are entitled to your opinions and this is a discussion board but, all this negativity, some for the sake of it, is making me not even wanted to read the BSG weekly thread anymore. Maybe I'll go over TV.com.
Old 04-30-08, 01:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I know you guys are entitled to your opinions and this is a discussion board but, all this negativity, some for the sake of it, is making me not even wanted to read the BSG weekly thread anymore. Maybe I'll go over TV.com.
sure, if you want the input of lobotomized yes-men, don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya.
Old 04-30-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
Take Baltar's dialog in this ep as a perfect example. Normally, I just ignore this as there's plenty of interesting plot development going on to keep me occupied. But in an ep like this that's boring as all hell to begin with and where ponderous speechifying seems to be the ep's theme, it can't be ignored.
Would you not consider then that Baltar's speech is ponderous speechifying, and his mindless groupie followers are lapping it up? And maybe that's part of the plot?
Old 04-30-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I really have problems with people who want the forum to be a certain way. Does a consensus of opinion somehow validate yours? If you feel you have to leave a weekly post because the content isn't inline with your opinion, then the problem isn't with the thread.
Old 04-30-08, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flave
I'm with those who think this was a lame episode.

You know the biggest thing I don't like about this show (the show as a whole, not just this ep)? The ponderous speechifying that this show's self-indulgent writers put in their characters' mouths. They want it to seem like they're deep thinkers speaking deep truths when in fact it's all just drivel; it all comes off as inane rambling. Take Baltar's dialog in this ep as a perfect example. Normally, I just ignore this as there's plenty of interesting plot development going on to keep me occupied. But in an ep like this that's boring as all hell to begin with and where ponderous speechifying seems to be the ep's theme, it can't be ignored.

The writers should just stick to plot development and leave the "deep truths" to writers who know what they're talking about.

well, i can't totally disagree with you... but i will say that there have been many episodes where i LIKED what was coming out of their mouths, even though it was preachy and verbose... Baltar has had some great lines over the years.

THIS episode was different for me though. i'm hoping that by the end of this season i'll look back and see it in a different light, be able to appreciate it more in hindsight, but it did strike me the same way.

especially how the episode ended right after that 'love yourself' speech... just seemed like a flat and cliche' place to end it...

another part of this is that (imo) they have set such a high standard that when an episode is just 'good' it seems less than that in comparison to the epic episodes.
Old 04-30-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I can't stand the Baltar-as-messiah subplot. That pap he was spewing at the end was nauseating.
So say we all! This episode gets my vote for worst ever.
Old 05-01-08, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe

For me that still has to be Unfinished Business from last season. I was surprised to learn it was the favorite of the producer (or whoever it is that does the podcasts).
Old 05-01-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
For me that still has to be Unfinished Business from last season. I was surprised to learn it was the favorite of the producer (or whoever it is that does the podcasts).
Have you watched extended version on the S3 DVDs yet? It adds a lot of depth to many scenes, and makes it an even better episode IMHO.

You know, the biggest problem I had with the New Caprical arc, was not that it involved people in a "space show" being on a planet, but that they chickened out and got off the planet in only four episodes at the beginning of S3 and we had to learn about what happened in flashbacks during Unfinished Business.

This is a weird comparison I realize, but all during the prison arc on My Name is Earl, I kept thinking "this is gutsy, skewing the format of your show so much, why couldn't BSG have done this for New Caprica?" It also reminds me of ST Voyager's Year of Hell, which was supposed to have been a full season, but the network didn't want to turn off viewers so it got cut to a two-part episode. It just seemed to me that Ron Moore would have wanted to do it right this time. I can only imagine that, once again, network interference played a hand in getting off the planet so quickly.
Old 05-01-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I sort of disagree about that argument, milo. They settled New Caprica and instantly it was "One Year Later" and the occupation began.

They had already forced everything on NC to be a flashback by then so I don't see how the network muddled with S3 in that regard. You got the Resistance webisodes that didn't do much to fill in the 4 months of the occupation, but it was still there so even that story wasn't terribly important.

There wasn't much story to tell in the life of non-occupied NC that wouldn't have been just about Labor Unions (Dirty Hands) or Racism (The Woman King) or inter-personal relations (Unfinished Business). It would have been the same filler episodes just in a different location.

I thought they handled NC just fine and, if anything, it took long for Adama to jump the Galactica into the stratosphere and crack toasters.
Old 05-01-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think we could have seen the "one year later" flash forward, then at the beginning of the next season go back to the settlement and all the things we saw in Unfinished Business, I think it also would have made better use of the eps Exodus pts 1 and 2 as season enders rather then openers. That was such a crackerjack opening sequence, that even if S3 hadn't suffered from some of the so-called "filler" episodes, nothing else would have measured up.
Old 05-01-08, 09:33 PM

I just want to know one thing:

Where did Laura get a wig?

Aren't they always talking about how the "rag-tag" fleet is short on food, fuel & supplies? So where would one find a wig in such a fleet? Is one of them a boutique ship?
Old 05-01-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Somebody must have missed "The Woman King".
Old 05-01-08, 10:37 PM

Have you watched extended version on the S3 DVDs yet? It adds a lot of depth to many scenes, and makes it an even better episode IMHO.
For me it just dragged it out more. By that time though S3 was starting to feel more like a soap opera in space, in a bad way I'm hoping they can finish off big (and I'll watch it until the end), but the series just doesn't seem to be where it used to be IMHO.
Old 05-02-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Been checking out a new podcast. Well new to me. http://www.galacticawatercooler.com/

They go off the track a lot and they are sometimes hard to follow but I have been digging it.
Old 05-04-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Ugh.

Is anyone now annoyed with Tori? I get that she is the only one of the four that is embracing being a Cylon, but it's agitating.

I can't help but think that this is another "Six" walking around. Where as I love "Six" and thought her character has always been interesting, Tori's is just annoying and a shadow of it.
Old 05-04-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redskull

Aren't they always talking about how the "rag-tag" fleet is short on food, fuel & supplies? So where would one find a wig in such a fleet? Is one of them a boutique ship?
same place where they get all the nice suits and Adama gets all his liquor
Old 05-04-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by redskull

The Beauty Parlor/Wig ship/
Old 05-04-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
same place where they get all the nice suits and Adama gets all his liquor

I think it bears pointing out that the ragtag fleet is not truly a military fleet. Some of them were luxury liners and cargo haulers. It's not unreasonable to think a few things like that survived.

And they are making their own liquor now.