Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox zeroes in on 'Bad Dads' (new show forces deadbeat dads to pay child support)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox zeroes in on 'Bad Dads' (new show forces deadbeat dads to pay child support)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the idea of this show. But I haven't seen the show, so I don't know if the show itself is good or bad.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...58582e5e4c7894

Fox zeroes in on 'Bad Dads'

Unscripted series focuses on making deadbeat fathers pay

By James Hibberd

April 24, 2008

After embracing the dark side of reality television with its marriage-busting hit "The Moment of Truth," Fox's newest project taps the power of its unscripted division for the forces of good.

The network has ordered a pilot from 3Ball Prods. in which an avenger of penniless single mothers hunts down deadbeat dads and forces them to pay child support.

Jim Durham, director of the National Child Support Center, functions as a sort of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" for tracking deadbeats. In the pilot, a financially destitute mom is contrasted with her wealthy ex-husband, who is living the high life. Durham confronts the man at his country club to shake him down in front his friends. It's ambush reality TV -- but for a noble cause.

"(Durham) calls them on the phone and gives them the chance to do the right thing," said executive producer JD Roth ("The Biggest Loser," "Beauty and the Geek"). "Of course, those calls are never met with anything but yelling. Then he goes into their life, finds out what kind of assets they have and makes their lives miserable -- foreclose on their house, repossess their car. He will squeeze them until the women get paid."

Roth sold the idea to Fox with the title "Deadbeat Dads." But Fox president of alternative entertainment Mike Darnell famously concocts his own catchy titles for his shows. ("Nothing but the Truth" became "The Moment of Truth," and "Do You Remember 5th Grade?" morphed into "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?") Darnell has rechristened "Deadbeat Dads" with the very-Fox working title "Bad Dads."

"It's a show that depicts the sacrifice and heartache of incredibly brave women on behalf of their kids and then ends in the most gratifying way possible -- justice for these women," Roth said.

Sluggish government agencies often fail to persuade financially liable fathers to pay child support. As of 2006, the nation's cumulative uncollected child support stood at about $105 billion, according to U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Last year's federal budget cuts could make the problem even worse, potentially adding about $11 billion in uncollected child support over the next 10 years.

Durham's National Child Support Center is one of several collection agencies that serve as a last resort for neglected single mothers. Some critics say such companies do more harm than good. Child support collectors have been accused of charging steep fees and using ultra-aggressive tactics. Durham bills his clients 34% of whatever he collects.

Roth counters that Durham's clients typically feel so abandoned by the court system that they're relieved to get any money at all. Plus, he said Durham is the only collector who extracts interest owed on the outstanding debt, so his clients often receive more money than if the absent dads had simply paid their bills.

As for the aggressive tactics, child support is not considered a debt per se, but an order of the court. Collectors are therefore not subject to following the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which regulates what tactics a collection agency can employ to collect a debt.

"I'm hoping that eventually this show changes how courts see deadbeat dads and how moms have to deal with it," Roth said.

If greenlighted to series, "Bad Dads" will provide Fox a fresh take on the law enforcement reality show, a genre the network pioneered with such Saturday night staples as "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted."

"I've seen 'Cops,' and I want to watch more than a crack addict with his pants around his ankles running away from a police car," Roth said. "These guys owe money, and they should pay."
Old 04-25-08, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting that they're ignoring deadbeat moms (of which there's quite a few, if I understand correctly).
Old 04-25-08, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like trash tv to me
Old 04-25-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
They should pick up Cheaters and make this an hour long block... who's really going to watch this?
Old 04-25-08, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Interesting that they're ignoring deadbeat moms (of which there's quite a few, if I understand correctly).
Yes, good point.
Old 04-25-08, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
who's really going to watch this?

I might watch it to see what it's like.
Old 04-25-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Penniless moms? Sounds like there's a fair share of deadbeat moms, like Groucho said.
Old 04-25-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should pick up Cheaters and make this an hour long block... who's really going to watch this?
The same people who watch Simple Life or Farmer Wants a Wife?
Old 04-25-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Hmmm maybe Lewis Black was wrong...the end of the world isn't where two Starbucks meet. It is where Fox has a show about liars and deadbeats that will bookend American Idol.
Old 04-25-08, 09:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I was just thinking that there aren't enough negative portrayals of fathers on TV and in movies. Thank god this show is coming to fill the gap.
Old 04-25-08, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
Roth sold the idea to Fox with the title "Deadbeat Dads." But Fox president of alternative entertainment Mike Darnell famously concocts his own catchy titles for his shows. ("Nothing but the Truth" became "The Moment of Truth," and "Do You Remember 5th Grade?" morphed into "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?") Darnell has rechristened "Deadbeat Dads" with the very-Fox working title "Bad Dads."
I have zero interest in this show. However, I would tune in every week for a "Let's Beat the Shit out of Mike Darnell" reality show.
Old 04-25-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
I don't know, you get a certain perverse pleasure from watching cheaters, it always makes me think that my girlfriend is cheating on me whenever I get trapped in a Cheaters marathon though.
Old 04-26-08, 09:16 AM

Can we also get a show about mother's who blow all their child support on expensive clothes and stuff?
That'd be nifty.