DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/530237-dexter.html)

orderandlaw 04-24-08 10:00 AM

Dexter

Dexter airs on Showtime, I believe. Plot outline, according to IMDB:

A like-able Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals who he believes have escaped justice.
The first season is based off of Jeff Lindsay's novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Apparently, after the first season, the storyline doesn't follow the rest of the books in the Dexter series. I'm not sure, though, as I haven't read them yet.

Anyone else like/love this show? I am so excited for the third season!

Pointyskull 04-24-08 10:04 AM

I watched S1 on DVD and really liked it a lot.

I don't have Showtime, so I'm waiting for the DVD release of S2

rfduncan 04-24-08 10:25 AM

Where have you been? Edited S1 is currently re-airing on NBC.

macnorton 04-24-08 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Where have you been? Edited S1 is currently re-airing on NBC.

CBS actually.

For those of you new to the show, the first season follows book one pretty close.

Season 2, not so much.

As for three, we will find out in September.

Mr. Salty 04-24-08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Dexter airs on Showtime, I believe.

The first season is based off of Jeff Lindsay's novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Apparently, after the first season, the storyline doesn't follow the rest of the books in the Dexter series. I'm not sure, though, as I haven't read them yet.

Anyone else like/love this show? I am so excited for the third season!

Since the show has been on for two years, there has been a lot of previous discussion here about it. In fact, each episode has its own thread.

So yes, there are people here, including myself, who are fans of the show.

Slumbering Fist 04-24-08 03:04 PM

Despite having Showtime, I only caught this show (both seasons) ONDemand over the past month or two.

My hate for Hollywood Crime Pathology kept me away from it, and Dexter is a serious offender. Basically all the M.O. they concocted for Dexter and The Ice Truck Killer is complete and utter Hollywood serial killer bullshit with no basis in reality whatsoever. However, putting that aside and just enjoying the pulp fun of it, he is a very interesting character, Hall's performance is solid, so I ended up liking it well enough.

Looking forward to the next season. Not quite good enough that I will go out out of my way to watch it, but will catch the eps ONDemand, probably late night, when I have casual time to kill.

CKMorpheus 04-24-08 04:35 PM

Hopefully the 3rd season is NOTHING like the 3rd book.

drak b 04-25-08 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Hopefully the 3rd season is NOTHING like the 3rd book.

Amen to that! I really enjoyed the second book but, oh man, was that third one a disappointment! The supernatural element really weakened the whole idea of Dexter.

I love what they've done with the show and I can't wait to see where they'll go with it in the third season.

Jack Straw 01-25-14 04:24 PM

Re: Dexter

I recently starting binge-watching Dexter and noted that I get the same feelings of tenseness from it that I got from watching Breaking Bad (i.e. will he/won't he get caught from his criminal behavior and actions). I think Dexter even takes it to a higher level given what he does vs. Walter White.

dex14 01-25-14 04:36 PM

Stop after Season 4

RichC2 01-25-14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 11989821)
I recently starting binge-watching Dexter and noted that I get the same feelings of tenseness from it that I got from watching Breaking Bad (i.e. will he/won't he get caught from his criminal behavior and actions). I think Dexter even takes it to a higher level given what he does vs. Walter White.

Breaking Bad is what happens when you have an idea and let the characters grow organically.

Dexter later seasons is what happens when you don't know what the word organically means.

Jack Straw 01-25-14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11989827)
Stop after Season 4

I'll stop buying the used DVD sets, but will probably watch S5 and beyond on Netflix. I will want to see how bad of a train-wreck it sinks to.

zoomgirl 01-26-14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 11990034)
I'll stop buying the used DVD sets, but will probably watch S5 and beyond on Netflix. I will want to see how bad of a train-wreck it sinks to.

Jack, you really don't want that. Stop at Season 4, you can't get that time back!!!

Mike86 01-26-14 10:19 AM

I'll say upon initial viewing I liked season five even though it was less good than what came before it. Season six is predictable and probably one of the show's overall weaker seasons. Season seven kind of seemed like it was trying to get back to where the show was with it's earlier seasons and has some decent moments despite not being perfect. Season eight pretty much made me hate the show. Overall the show isn't the worst ever made or anything but it definitely became a shadow of itself after season four and just wound up being disappointing.

Josh-da-man 01-26-14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11990210)
I'll say upon initial viewing I liked season five even though it was less good than what came before it. Season six is predictable and probably one of the show's overall weaker seasons. Season seven kind of seemed like it was trying to get back to where the show was with it's earlier seasons and has some decent moments despite not being perfect. Season eight pretty much made me hate the show. Overall the show isn't the worst ever made or anything but it definitely became a shadow of itself after season four and just wound up being disappointing.

Yeah Dexter is sort of like that proverbial frog in a pot of water. The water's heating so slowly that he doesn't realize he's being cooked, and by the time it's boiling, he can't get out.

Everyone says to get the fuck out after season four. But you can hang around and watch season five and say to yourself that it wasn't that bad.

Same with season six... and it even has that really awesome cliffhanger where something happens that you've wanted to happen since the show began. So now you HAVE to watch season seven... even though there's a big chink the armor that goes along with it...

And then you're watching season seven, and it's not as bad as everyone claimed it was. And it also had a really strong ending, and you're wondering where it's going to go from there...

And then you watch the eighth and final season. And, from the beginning, the thing is all over the place. There are all of these twists and revelations, and all of the characters are acting like they're either drunk or retarded, and it just gets worse and worse until the final episode... and the final scene of the final episode is just the cherry on top of the big steaming pile of shit.

And then you're that frog in a boiling pot of water, and you understand why everyone told you to get out after you finished the fourth season.

Easy 01-26-14 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11990373)
And then you watch the eighth and final season. And, from the beginning, the thing is all over the place. There are all of these twists and revelations, and all of the characters are acting like they're either drunk or retarded, and it just gets worse and worse until the final episode... and the final scene of the final episode is just the cherry on top of the big steaming pile of shit.

Wow, you make it sound so appealing. How can I resist? :D

Autotelik 01-26-14 02:11 PM

I enjoyed seasons 5-7, obviously 4 being the best. But 8 was a really big wtf?

sleepyhead55 01-26-14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11990210)

I generally agree with this. Season Five wasn't actually that bad. Season Six was pretty awful though, as one of the big problems was that the "Big Bad" that season was very weak. I did notice that to be a trend in season 5-8 where you could tell that some of the actors weren't up to par with the rest of the cast. This becomes painfully apparent in Season 8.

The only good thing about Season 8 is that some of those episodes are so boring and dull they act as a cure for insomnia.

Mike86 01-26-14 03:04 PM

Spoiler:
One thing that really annoyed me in the later seasons was the show tried to create a storyline that focused on the "big bad" of the year and then mixed in some lame side stories for Dexter or one of the supporting characters but lost focus on Dexter's kills. It seemed like it was a rarity in the later seasons to actually see him gather his evidence, stalk his victim, and take them out. I know it's weird to say probably but that aspect made the series unique. It also didn't help that any time a side character was given a storyline it was always the stupidest shit. Deb was especially dumbed down and all her relationship issues/realizing she's in love with Dexter made me want to facepalm constantly.

robin2099 01-26-14 05:46 PM

I actually thought that season 5 was pretty good. I liked the Lumen character and thought the guys were despicable enough that it was great seeing Dexter take them out.

Season 6 was a pretty weak season with a weak big bad and overall story arc. Still had some cool deaths and images from the killer though. The worst part was the stupid Deb and Dexter subplot. Seriously, even when they "explained their reasoning" in an interview whoever thought of that should have been fired on the spot.

Season 7 was IMO the best season since 4. It was neat seeing everything spiral out of control and wondering what would happen to Dexter. Plus I really liked the Hannah character and thought she fit the show well.

Season 8 is just shit in every form and has no positives. People used to say that X-Files wrote the book on how not to end a series but Dexter season 8 makes the last couple X-Files seasons look genius.