Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

LOST -- "the Shape Of Things To Come" -- 04.24.2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's a great musician, but I can't help thinking of Winehouse and not thinking of this:
Old 04-27-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Yeah, I mean Jesus H. Christ, they're practically twins.
I meant the younger, healthier, more attractive Winehouse.

Old 04-27-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
more attractive Winehouse.
does.not.compute.
Old 04-27-08, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Alex? hottie?

butterface, maybe. but hottie?
disagree....

she's foine
Old 04-27-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Aside from the cartoonish shoot-out, that was pretty good.
Old 04-27-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If such a thing ever existed, I've never seen it.
Old 04-28-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched some of this episode again today. Probably not a big deal and not sure if it's been mentioned, but I didn't notice that before Ben entered the cave to activate smokey, his face/clothes were relatively clean. When he came out from the back room, he was covered in soot/dirt.

Looking forward to the rest of this season. Is it 6 post-strike episodes or still 5?
Old 04-28-08, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kind of wondering if Alex, Danielle, or Carl are truly dead. In fact, I'm kind of wondering how many of the people who have "died" are truly dead. The ship doctor just washed up on shore, dead with his neck sliced. But, a call back to the ship shows that he's alive. Yes, you COULD explain it with some time shifting anomaly, in that he's not dead on ship time YET. But, I'm not sure that's necessarily the explanation. The writers have already revealed there's a time anomaly, and yet the way they revealed the morse code message made it seem like this should be a huge clue. It wouldn't be much of a clue if they've already given us an obvious explanation for it.

Regarding the Ben/Charles connection - the only reason I can find that Ben couldn't kill Charles is if his own life depended on it. They've also hinted that Charles cannot kill Ben either - the soldiers and other ship crew members are under strict orders to bring him back alive and unharmed. One reason could be the "constant" thing. But, again, I think there's another reason that they haven't revealed yet. It almost feels like the two are competing members of some secret society of uber-rich and powerful people.
Old 04-28-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How some folk find either of those two attractive on any level is a bigger mystery to me than anything in LOST.

Ok not quite, but really? It surprised the hell outa me last episode with all the "Alex is hot" responses. I would have bet a sizeable sum most people would not have thought she was hot.

Anyway, has anyone determined if the heiroglyphics on the door in the picture on page 6 (I think) mean anything or say something meaningful?
Old 04-28-08, 10:30 AM

Alex is hot.
Old 04-28-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Yeah, I mean Jesus H. Christ, they're practically twins.

Alex is a definite hottie and I for one hope she's not gone for good.
wow, that almost doesn't look real. good god how is she not dead.
doesn't the teardrop mean she killed someone.

anyway alex is hot.

i think ben and widdie have been around for a long, long time and have been
at this for, for just as long.
Old 04-28-08, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hahn
I'm kind of wondering if Alex, Danielle, or Carl are truly dead. In fact, I'm kind of wondering how many of the people who have "died" are truly dead.
nobody ever really DIES on Lost....
Old 04-28-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had wondered if Alex was really dead, also, but the flash forward with Ben seemed to answer that question. If she wasn't dead, I doubt he would be all vengeancy in the future about it.
Old 04-28-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure Carl is dead from the interview linked in a previous thread about the actor getting a gig on Broadway. I'd be very surprised if Rousseau is actually done in though. She's more resilient. I bet she's bandaged up and hanging out in the jungle somewhere.
Old 04-28-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sure Carl is dead from the interview linked in a previous thread about the actor getting a gig on Broadway. I'd be very surprised if Rousseau is actually done in though. She's more resilient. I bet she's bandaged up and hanging out in the jungle somewhere.

I was thinking this as well. Her wound didn't seem to be "TV serious" enough or "TV mortal" as it looked like it exited out her rib cage under the right breast.

My roommates were saying that Alex might not be dead since the gunshot happened off-screen. I told them it was network TV and OF COURSE they couln't show a teenage girl capped in the back of the noodle in primetime (The Wire has ruined us on regular TV). Plus, I think Ben's heartfelt goodbye and standard, "close the corpse's eyes" moment pretty much confirms her death, to say nothing of his Death-Wish type threats in the future as Jadzia mentioned.

-Doc
Old 04-28-08, 02:40 PM

Like most people I'm usually wrong more times than I'm right about my theories on this show but here goes:

I never fully bought the idea that Ben "loved" Alex as just another human being. I always felt that his connection to her had alot to do with her importance to the island itself, not so much to Ben's heart.

That said, I need a refresher on whether Alex was born on the island or on Rousseau's ship.

If she was born on the island she would have been the last baby born there before Aaron, and 1st in who knows how many years. As such she may have had some huge importance on/to the island.

If she was born on the boat maybe there was something going on with her and the island that we haven't been privy to yet.

Either way, I'm saying maybe her death changes the island in some way, or that her life affected it somehow.

This would all make more sense to me about when Ben says "he changed the rules". I don't really buy that these 2 ruthless men went and had a conversation about what was acceptable in war and what would hurt too much to do to one another. I feel that both Widmore and Ben are willing to do ANYTHING to enforce their will and wouldn't care about killing family members or whatever. Ben killed his own father do you think he'd agree to not killing someone else's family?

Now maybe the "rules" were set not by Ben and Widmore, but by Jacob alone. Jacob would rule against anything that would negatively effect the island so if it was a rule to not kill Alex it would follow that Alex's death somehow would have hurt the island. Remember Ben said the rule had been changed but never said if the rule was not to kill daughters or whatever.

This would also then beg the question: Who the fuck is Jacob?!?!?!?!?! Is he God? Is he God's somewhat-earthly enforcer? Is he imprisoned on that island, banished by God from Heaven? Is Ben doing God's bidding by keeping him imprisoned there? Is Ben working for the Devil? Is Jacob a minion of Lucifer? Is religion too magic-hocus-pocus for even this show?

On Ben In The Desert:
I had a thought on Ben's arm injury. What if he was surprised, not by the wound he incurred, but by the fact that the arm was still there at all? If we assume that Dr. Candlewaxdude lost his arm in an Orchid Station accident this could be true.

On The Dead Dr. Washing Ashore:
I think we will certainly see someone slice the Dr.'s throat in the "future". However Faraday's question alerted the Boaties to something going on and now what would have been a covert act by Sayid, Desmond or Michael, will now set off a battle on the boat.

On Ben And Sayid:
I thought when Ben said "...the last time you followed your heart" he was referring to Sayid turning Michael in to Captain Gault, which will now undoubtedly result in some bad times for the Losties.

The way this season is moving I wouldn't be surprised if the O6 are off the island by season's end.

I loved this episode, the questions it answered, and the questions it raised, and the appearance of the smoke was great as was the scene with Ben and Widmore - Evil? vs. Evil?-er?
Old 04-28-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So, we *know* there's a time-distortion field around the island, but not how it works or what the rules are.

We're pretty sure there's teleportation between the Island and the desert, having seen both the bear and Ben wind up there.

We know there's time travel at least to this extent: a body washes up from the future, and those who become unstuck in time (time sickness) can visit their past and affect things.

We know the smoke monster *is* in fact a security system that can be controlled or at least summoned at will.

Question: Do we *know* Alpern (Nestor Carbonell) is timeless, or might it just be costuming/makeup plothole issues?
Old 04-28-08, 03:45 PM

By the way, Alex is smokin' and I see no resemblance whatsoever to Amy Crackhouse.
Old 04-28-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd be very surprised if Rousseau is actually done in though. She's more resilient. I bet she's bandaged up and hanging out in the jungle somewhere.
That's what i'm hoping too.

If TV has taught us anything, it's that shots that go through "non-vital" parts of the body and exit the body aren't as fatal as those that just enter.
Old 04-28-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GradVT06
It surprised the hell outa me last episode with all the "Alex is hot" responses. I would have bet a sizeable sum most people would not have thought she was hot.
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Alex? hottie?
Unless either of you is dating/fucking Laetitia Casta and/or Penelope Cruz, you've got no room to talk and/or you are insane.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Everyone knows that South America is the key to Risk
Yes. Australia? Pfft. Two cannons in Siam solve that problem.

Here are the things I liked about this episode:

• Smokey's back.
  • More Keamy! (Kevin Durand)
  • Sayid agreeing to work for Ben, eventhough Ben planned it. Specifically, Ben's smirk as they're walking away.
  • That I knew they were playing Risk about 3 seconds into the scene.
  • I knew it was the freighter people that got Alex.
Old 04-28-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheGodfather

On Ben In The Desert:
I had a thought on Ben's arm injury. What if he was surprised, not by the wound he incurred, but by the fact that the arm was still there at all? If we assume that Dr. Candlewaxdude lost his arm in an Orchid Station accident this could be true.
Wow. Excellent theory that I'm going to subscribe to. To expand on that, it could be the first time Ben had actually teleported, which is why he checks his arm(see above) and wants to confirm the date just to make sure things went right.
Old 04-29-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
We're pretty sure there's teleportation between the Island and the desert, having seen both the bear and Ben wind up there.
You may be sure, but please don't include me in your we. There are other explanations for this other than invoking a StarDrek teleportation device.
Old 04-29-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You may be sure, but please don't include me in your we. There are other explanations for this other than invoking a StarDrek teleportation device.
1) Don't be a jerk, I didn't say I was sure. The "pretty" sure qualifier could not have been more apparent, juxtaposed against the *know* of the previous sentence. And more importantly, 2) I was checking if that was the general conscensus, not giving a personal opinion. Bite me.
Old 04-29-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Ugh. Amy Winehouse is the fugliest celebrity to come around in a LONG time. She makes Sandra Bernhard look like a beauty queen.
Old 04-29-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone remind me of who lost an arm? And why Ben checking his arm is significant? Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.