Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 6, April 22 / 23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be go home this week?
Jason Castro
30.49%
Syesha Mercado
9.76%
David Cook
2.44%
Brooke White
39.02%
David Archuleta
2.44%
Carly Smithson
15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Top 6, April 22 / 23

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by foofighters7
It's always hilarious to me when people say things like "they dont understand what they are singing about". That is one of the most moronic things to say, seeing that you have no idea what the person is thinking.
People choose to sing songs in all different ways. Some try to push the 'meaning' of the lyrics more. Some choose to find and exploit the melody, etc. etc. Having an opinion of the performance of the song is one thing, saying they have no idea what they are singing about is another.
OK, chief.

das
Old 04-23-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Syesha Mercado - "One Rock-n-Roll too Many" Didn't care for the song, but she sounded pretty strong thorughout the performance, but if she had more lower registers to her voice, it might have sounded better, provided more grit to the song.

Jason Castro - "Memories" I want to stuff socks in my ears after listening to Jason's wispy performance. Ugh.

Brooke White - "You Must Love Me" Didn't love it. It started out really rocky, but I just never thought she really knew the song well enough to fake it.

David Archuleta - "Think of Me" He did all right with his spin of the song, and it almost sounded contemporary, but he's got that soothing glaze to his vocals that makes his songs sound pleasant and warm.

Carly Smithson - "Jesus Christ Superstar" I thought the backing vocals sounded better than Carly. Her vocals just sounded too thin to me, plus she's still trying to win us over with her power screams/vocals that do nothing for me.

David Cook - "Music of the Night" Pretty weak start, and had some problems with the melody, and basically framed his performance around 2 long notes. Not one of my favorites of his performances this season.

-------------

Rankings

Enjoyable
Syesha Mercado
David Archuleta

Could have been better
David Cook

Under-performed
Carly Smithson

Once was enough
Jason Castro
Brooke White

I think or Jason or Brooke is going home.

Last edited by Patman; 04-23-08 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Syesha was the best performer tonight.

Funny that Simon stole my line. As soon as I heard David A, the first word in mind was "pleasant" and nothing really more.

Brooke just looks like a deer caught in headlights. She's lost the happiness and confidence she had. I think the stress of being on Idol is getting to her paired with the fact she couldn't be at her sister's wedding.

Castro is just awful. If he were on Apollo, they would have hooked his ass off the stage long ago. And pretty?? Well, that's really subjective.

Carly? Nothing special.

It was nice to hear David C sing something that wasn't rock and it was pretty good. However, he had to scream the last note. But Broadway is not where he belongs.
Old 04-23-08, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really can't believe nobody picked any Sunset Blvd songs (With One Look, Sunset Blvd and As If We Never Said Goodbye), I mean they're in LA for goodness sakes. Some other songs they could of done, Close Every Door, O, What A Circus, and Buenos Aires.

ALW going to be running back to his Oliver search after seeing his songs killed by Brooke and Jason. OMG those were just ughh.

My order is (best to worst) David C., Syesha, David A., Carly, Brooke and Jason.
Old 04-23-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Archuleta is so limited. Every song he sings is arrranged so that it sounds exactly the same. Slow dull line with a little swell and run at the end. He has a "pleasant" voice but there is nothing great or original or memorable about it.

Syesha was very good, but she went first, so she may leave anyway.

Brooke does look like she is about to have a nervous breakdown.

Overall, despite their hype one of the weakest seasons.
Old 04-23-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice! I just got back from watching American Idol live in the studio. My TV programming+financing law school class went on a field trip. Nigel also gave us a talk and answered questions for about 30-40 minutes afterwards. I was going to post earlier today to see if anyone had questions they wanted me to ask him, but I forgot. In any case, he was really gracious and seemed genuinely happy to talk to us. He really was in absolutely no hurry, even though our professor told us his schedule was pretty crazy.

Some behind the scenes stuff I found interesting:

There was a full time DJ who pumped up the crowd before and during the show, and he was passing out additional Ipod gift cards as well as random items like Chicken Soup for the American Idol soul. The best gift he gave was a Guitar Hero III package autographed by all the Idol contestants. Oh yah, everyone sitting in the bleachers got a free $10 ipod gift card.

Those idol contestants get led around like babies before they go on. I mean, REALLY. There was some guy with a ear/mic thingy literally leading Brook around by the hand, much like a dad would hold hands with his daughter to make sure she doesn't fall over anything.

Ryan seemed really gracious. He kept talking to all the fans during the commercials. Wasn't standoffish or anything. Simon gets make-up touchup between commercials. Not Randy or Paula.

Paula stayed for about 10 min extra after the show to sit and talk with a wheel-chair bound kid with some disorder. She then signed his ticket for him, but she took a long time, so I think she wrote a really really long message. That or it's as hard for her to construct a written sentence as it is an oral one.

Nigel said that all the contestants in the top 20, particularly the 6 remaining were really good good people. He said this is the first time that's happened because there have definitely been a number of asshole/prima donnas, particularly the guys in every past season. (I wonder who)

He also said background checks are a must (as you all know) because they don't want a serial killer living with Brook. Then he said he'd rather have the serial killer live with David than Brook. "Definitely not Brook." I think he was joking about how "pure" she was.

Nigel finds out about the results by 12 AM midnight (wednseday morning).

Nigel says the only time he THINKS he's ever heard David Archuleta curse or mumble something negative is when he's coming out of his daily 3 hours of mandatory school/tutor session (under CA law).

Process to get onto the show - quite hilarious, at least in the telling:
A bunch of mini-producers stand at the bottom of the football field or stadium in each city, all across. All people who try out get a wristband. They call up people 5 at a time for each mini-producer. They each sing, literally, a few seconds, and then the producer either stops them and says OK or No. If it's a no, someone walks right up to them with a big scissor and cuts off their wristband. "Then they watch the wristband fall to the grass in slow motion."

The 3 girls wanted to do "Memory" today, but then so did Jason Castro. They put all the names into a tophat and drew. Castro won. The girls were upset. Producers asked Castro if he was serious that he wanted to sing that song. He said yes. They asked him again, and he said yes, again. I guess poor choice.

During hollywood week, Castro and David, I think, sang a song by Gnarls Barkley - whatever their biggest hit was (I think) - and Gnarls refused to give clearance. Nigel said it really was a "tremendous rendition" and they even overnighted DVD rehearsal performances by those two to Gnarls and Gnarls still refused. Nigel wasn't too happy.

Ok, will post more if I think of more stuff. He told us a lot of stuff.
Old 04-23-08, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
Nice! I just got back from watching American Idol live in the studio. My TV programming+financing law school class went on a field trip. Nigel also gave us a talk and answered questions for about 30-40 minutes afterwards. I was going to post earlier today to see if anyone had questions they wanted me to ask him, but I forgot. In any case, he was really gracious and seemed genuinely happy to talk to us. He really was in absolutely no hurry, even though our professor told us his schedule was pretty crazy.

Some behind the scenes stuff I found interesting:

There was a full time DJ who pumped up the crowd before and during the show, and he was passing out additional Ipod gift cards as well as random items like Chicken Soup for the American Idol soul. The best gift he gave was a Guitar Hero III package autographed by all the Idol contestants. Oh yah, everyone sitting in the bleachers got a free $10 ipod gift card.

Those idol contestants get led around like babies before they go on. I mean, REALLY. There was some guy with a ear/mic thingy literally leading Brook around by the hand, much like a dad would hold hands with his daughter to make sure she doesn't fall over anything.

Ryan seemed really gracious. He kept talking to all the fans during the commercials. Wasn't standoffish or anything. Simon gets make-up touchup between commercials. Not Randy or Paula.

Paula stayed for about 10 min extra after the show to sit and talk with a wheel-chair bound kid with some disorder. She then signed his ticket for him, but she took a long time, so I think she wrote a really really long message. That or it's as hard for her to construct a written sentence as it is an oral one.

Nigel said that all the contestants in the top 20, particularly the 6 remaining were really good good people. He said this is the first time that's happened because there have definitely been a number of asshole/prima donnas, particularly the guys in every past season. (I wonder who)

He also said background checks are a must (as you all know) because they don't want a serial killer living with Brook. Then he said he'd rather have the serial killer live with David than Brook. "Definitely not Brook." I think he was joking about how "pure" she was.

Nigel finds out about the results by 12 AM midnight (wednseday morning).

Nigel says the only time he THINKS he's ever heard David Archuleta curse or mumble something negative is when he's coming out of his daily 3 hours of mandatory school/tutor session (under CA law).

Process to get onto the show - quite hilarious, at least in the telling:
A bunch of mini-producers stand at the bottom of the football field or stadium in each city, all across. All people who try out get a wristband. They call up people 5 at a time for each mini-producer. They each sing, literally, a few seconds, and then the producer either stops them and says OK or No. If it's a no, someone walks right up to them with a big scissor and cuts off their wristband. "Then they watch the wristband fall to the grass in slow motion."

The 3 girls wanted to do "Memory" today, but then so did Jason Castro. They put all the names into a tophat and drew. Castro won. The girls were upset. Producers asked Castro if he was serious that he wanted to sing that song. He said yes. They asked him again, and he said yes, again. I guess poor choice.

During hollywood week, Castro and David, I think, sang a song by Gnarls Barkley - whatever their biggest hit was (I think) - and Gnarls refused to give clearance. Nigel said it really was a "tremendous rendition" and they even overnighted DVD rehearsal performances by those two to Gnarls and Gnarls still refused. Nigel wasn't too happy.

Ok, will post more if I think of more stuff. He told us a lot of stuff.

Thanks for that!
Old 04-23-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^Gnarls Barkley song could have only been "Crazy."
Old 04-23-08, 07:22 AM
Banned

FANTASTIC "Inside American Idol" scoops, Mytz!!!!

Give us mo, mo, MO!!!!!

Maybe Simon is a sweathog, which is why he needs the touchups during breaks & the other two don't. Or it shows up worse on his pale skin.

Interesting comment from Nigel regarding the likability of the contestants this year compared to other years. Except for David Cook's early smarminess (which has toned down considerably...read a TV Guide article which indicated that he really downplayed the sympathy vote potential & that he really is close to his brother), all of them have seem pretty nice. The cynic in me just wonders if Nigel will be saying the same thing next season.

Last night's performances:

I must be one of the few people who actually liked Brooke's performance. Mabye it was just her personality coming through, but I thought it served the song really well & even had me a little choked up, surprisingly...and I don't usually do that (it was like, "Where did that come from?"). The starting over didn't bother me as much as it evidently did others...I've seen plenty of performers do that (or clear their throats, or apologize mid-song for blown lyrics). I saw Richard Thompson launch into an impromptu "Twist & Shout" singalong with the audience while changing a broken guitar string in a club in Asheville, NC. The crowd usually goes with the flow...it just reaffirms that the performer is human & makes mistakes (unless it's a George Jones-fall-off-the-stage type of realism). I must have missed it when it happened earlier...the fact that it's happened before is a little troubling. Still, I'm not sure what Abdul wanted her to do (either Cowell or Jackson asked if she wanted Brooke to make up a song). Maybe she could have gotten up & done an Ashlee Simpson hootenanny jig while the band played on.

I actually liked David Cook's straight take, although I was perversely looking forward to seeing how he might alter the song. Nice job (he made it all the way to the end before the primal scream demon forced its ugly way out, so that's forgivable). My wife, a former All-State Soprano, commented about the song being difficult and that he did a fine job with it. Good enough for me!

The odd thing is that I'm not a big fan of Brooke or Cook, although Cook has been proving to be a good performer within his genre.

I like Jason Castro's personality, but Randy was right...last night was something of a train wreck. In the tacky white suit hunched over the stool, he looked like a dressed-up Gollum serenading his Precious. At least he didn't deny Simon's comments about that being "the longest two minutes of your life". But it was a very bad performance, and he knew it. IMHO, he deserves to go home based upon the weak effort.

Syesha was fine!!!! Last night just earned her a Broadway job.

David A. was a snoozefest...although it was sadistic fun watching him struggle to keep his eyes open as ALW advised. He looked like a six-year-old whose mom had just dressed him in a little outfit for picture day. The image of the preteens hugging him identified his target audience. I imagine he'd sell tons of tickets...double-billed with Miley Cyrus, he could have monster tour potential. Bobby Sherman lives!

Carly was okay with lots of energy, but I wonder how many other Christians have a real problem with the song. As a teen, I actually owned the album, but since have become totally convinced that we have to be extemely careful & reverential about the use of God's name (3rd Commandment). Not looking for flames...just wondering if the song could turn off some voters, especially those not familiar with the musical.

ALW was the star of the night. Unlike so many other celeb "mentors", he actually gave constructive advice...or at least, his professional opinion...rather than simply praising the contestants & stroking their egos. Really enjoyed his comments.

LOL at his comments to David Cook regarding singing TMOTN seductively to a 17-year-old girl (and Cook exasperatingly protesting, "I'm 25, man!"). Evidently ALW doesn't realize that the age of consent is higher in most areas of the U.S. (according to Wiki, it's 16 in the U.K., so ALW must have been wondering, "What's the problem here?"). A funny cultural clash moment.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-23-08 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Archuleta is so fucking boring that he makes John Stevens look energetic.

Sad to say, though, that this will end up being a 3-horse race with Archuleta, Syesha, and Cook. I think it comes down to Cook & Syesha.
Old 04-23-08, 07:55 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
As the last remaining Brooke fan on this board, I still see some growth each week with her, with more of a full sound to her voice this time around, but she really needs a great song to showcase what she is capable of. I'm really hoping that Jason gets the hook this week as he's consistently bad/boring. Carly seems to be on happy drugs lately, a little to effervescent, although I think she does need a nice big botox shot right between the eyes to remove that angry look on the big notes.
Old 04-23-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
It's always hilarious to me when people say things like "they dont understand what they are singing about". That is one of the most moronic things to say, seeing that you have no idea what the person is thinking.
People choose to sing songs in all different ways. Some try to push the 'meaning' of the lyrics more. Some choose to find and exploit the melody, etc. etc. Having an opinion of the performance of the song is one thing, saying they have no idea what they are singing about is another.
Like the time Constantin Maroulis sang the heartbreaking "I Can't Make You Love Me" with a big shiteating grin plastered on his face for the entire song?

Understanding the song is absolutely a big part of it.
Old 04-23-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Carly was okay with lots of energy, but I wonder how many other Christians have a real problem with the song. As a teen, I actually owned the album, but since have become totally convinced that we have to be extemely careful & reverential about the use of God's name (3rd Commandment). Not looking for flames...just wondering if the song could turn off some voters, especially those not familiar with the musical.
I was thinking the same thing. That might be why it was her 2nd choice. It's a great song but really helps if you know who's singing and the context.

Last week I predicted Syesha, Jason and Brooke in the bottom 3. I would love to change out Syesha with David A but I know it's not gonna happen. At this point, you can have a decent performance and still make bottom 3. As has been mentioned, Syesha pretty much cemented a place on Broadway (at the very least).
Old 04-23-08, 08:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Brooke and Castro are really the only contestants in trouble this week. Which is too bad because I'm sure they'd both sail through Neil Diamond week without problems.
Old 04-23-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Not a David Cook fan, but he totally sold me on his Music of the Night rendition. It was a solid performance. He and Syesha were the cream of the crop last night. Carly Smithson comes a close third.

I was a fan of Brooke, but I think she is very close to packing her bags. Her vocals are not strong enough to compete with remaining contestants and starting the song over didn't help her cause either.

Archuleta was decent, but it didn't blow me away by any means.

I think Castro is done. What in the world made him think he could sell Memory?

This is the proper way to sing Memory as demonstrated by Elaine Page:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s96NZoeDs68&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s96NZoeDs68&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm actually a fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's works, but this is definitely a genre that will not appeal to large audiences.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-23-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it's between Castro and my gal Brooke. And quite frankly, they both should go.

It's a real shame about Brooke; I really thought she had great potential. Maybe she'll find success once she gets out of the mega-hot laser beam that is the AI spotlight. She just needs to relax a bit and not be so tense and twitchy. IMO, when she's in her zone and comfortable with herself, nobody in this group can touch her.
Old 04-23-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the information. Keep it coming.

This explains why Syesha didn't sing "Memory". Based on her song selection leading up to this point, it absolutely had to be her first choice. She should thank Castro for being such a dolt, because he probably saved her this week. Carly too.

I don't suppose Nigel said anything about Giggles singing "Think of Me"?

das
Old 04-23-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
In the musical, that piece is sung by the ghost of Judas near the end; it's actually perfect in its context. But I'm sure many Christians have a problem with the play as a whole not just that song.
Old 04-23-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sayesha looked, sang, and peformed like a star last night. That is one beautiful woman.
*Edit--"Syesha"....if she is a star, I might as well spell her name right.

Last edited by magiccmom; 04-23-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I don't suppose Nigel said anything about Giggles singing "Think of Me"?
"We just happen to have a pop arrangement of that song right here. And, wouldn't you know it, the band has been rehearsing it for the last week. Coincidentally, of course."
Old 04-23-08, 10:32 AM

Syesha was the best of the night for me. She finally had a theme that allowed her to be the actress she clearly is. She stepped way up by not trying to power-belt the song. Good for her.

David Cook did the smart thing and sang straight, only going for a bit of a rock edge at the end. He didn't try to do anything that was out of character. A wise choice. And I loved his "I am not a statutory rapist!" stance with ALW during the practice session.

Simon was absolutely right about David Archuleta: it was pleasant, but nothing spectacular. He's in no danger.

Carly muffed the lyrics and screeched during the middle section of her song. She still seems so desperate. The Simon Likes Me (This Week) t-shirt was over the top for me.

Jason just isn't the sharpest crayon in the box. Yeesh, he should have did something else and let the women fight it out for "Memory." But whatever he's smoking, I want some of it--dude is just so laid-back. And at least he isn't dissolving into hysterics before our eyes.

Which leads us to Brooke. Poor, unhinged Brooke, AI's version of A Woman on the Verge. She's a complete mess and for her own good, she needs to get off the show ASAP. If she has to continue for another week, she can't be held responsible for her actions.

Crazy as it sounds, I sort of undertsood what Paula was trying to say about re-starting the song. It's one thing if you hit a bum note on a solo piano at the very beginning of a performance. But if you have actually started singing and the band has come in, a re-boot doesn't just affect you. The band and background singers have to restart, too. That's asking a lot for a 2-minute performance. Brooke was in a catch-22, though. There wasn't a good solution either way. So credit Ricky Minor and the band for helping Brooke as best they coul. But it shouldn't be enough to save her.

And kudos to ALW for telling these contestants what they needed to hear: Choose songs that suit your voice, understand what you are singing, pay attention, is that a good song for you, OPEN YOU EYES WHEN YOU PERFORM! With the exceptions of Cook and Syesha last night, this group couldn't sell ice water in Hell. I'm guessing that bugged ALW to no end, but his comments were professionally based. He was honest but not rude. I thought he did a good job.
Old 04-23-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Wonder why he'd do that.
Old 04-23-08, 11:23 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
It was actually hysterical watching robot-boy trying and failing to keep his eyes open during the song.
Old 04-23-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know Brooke is bad when she makes Madonna look like a good singer.
Old 04-23-08, 11:30 AM

They put all the names into a tophat and drew.
Did they really use a top hat...and was it Nigel's?

Thanks for the awesome inside information, mytzplyx. You're better than TMZ! Are you going to school in California? If not, that was one helluva field trip from Japan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.