DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dancing with the Stars - (4/21/08 & 04/22/08) - The Lucky Number 7... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/529993-dancing-stars-4-21-08-04-22-08-lucky-number-7-a.html)

Goldberg74 04-21-08 01:07 PM

Dancing with the Stars - (4/21/08 & 04/22/08) - The Lucky Number 7...

Latin week!

Episode 606a - Mon April 21 8/7c - 1h30m

The seven remaining couples must perform a dance they have never done before and a Group Country style dance (?). Here are their dances:
  • Cristián & Cheryl - Foxtrot
  • Shannon & Derek - Tango
  • Mario & Karina - Rumba
  • Marlee & Fabian - Mambo
  • Jason & Edyta - Cha-Cha-Cha
  • Marissa & Tony - Viennese Waltz
  • Kristi & Mark - Jive

Episode 606b - Tues April 22 9/8c - 1 Hour
The Results Show... and one couple goes home!

Old threads and results:

Goldberg74 04-21-08 08:14 PM

Wow Kristi! Wow! :eek:

Patman 04-21-08 08:42 PM

It was only a matter of time for Kristi and Mark to finally nail a 30, and the jive was the perfect dance for them to cut loose and impress the judges.

Ranger 04-21-08 09:22 PM

Yeah, Kristi was awesome. I don't think anyone else impressed me.

DWilson 04-21-08 09:50 PM

If the show has a weakness this season, its that its sort of Kristi ...and then everybody else. Most years there's been a hot rivalry ...Mario Lopez/Emmit Smith, Helio/Mel B ...and this year the "second best" title trades off from week to week. There seems to be more emotion from the judges for Jason "Xerxes" Taylor, while Mario has actually been better (though neither is anywhere near as consistent as Kristi).
If the worst happened ..if by some chance Kristi and Mark lost out on the veiwer vote (just because they are so darned good and fans got complacent) ...what kind of finale would we have?

cerulean 04-22-08 06:20 AM

Marlee is probably gone. Her dancing is kind of robotic and that will be pretty difficult to correct without her being able to hear the music.

Maybe they're trying not to show off, but I hope Kristi and Mark will do more spectacular lifts in future freestyle routines. A lot of people forget that she was a national champion in pairs skating. She probably has done more difficult lifts than he has in his career!

Red Dog 04-22-08 07:54 AM

Everybody looked pretty good last night. Mario and Kristie were certainly the standouts, as they have been (at least to me) throughout the season.

I love Karina's attitude when it comes to the judges - F'em. Karina always likes to push the envelope when it comes to Len's judging and lifts, etc.

Kristie is great and it seems rather clear that Mark is the best male choreographer that the show has ever had. He is right up with some of the pro ladies. Great costuming last night.

Burgundy LaRue 04-22-08 11:20 AM

The finale should come down to Mario and Kristi. They're clearly the best dancers. Kristi has been consistently good and Mario continue to get better every week.

But how can crusty Len Goodman refer to Mario & Karina as "a strumpet with her gigolo" when Edyta was getting down in little more than a sequined thong? She was really showing her goodies last night!

big whoppa 04-22-08 05:29 PM

Kristi and Mark were great. Not just on the technical side but the performance side as well. I'll be surprised if they don't get the encore dance.

I liked Shanon and Derek's dance too. Derek has great chereography ideas especially when the dance is romantic. They blew it on the technical side apparently.

I predict Shanon will be sent home packing tonight.

Red Dog 04-22-08 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
But how can crusty Len Goodman refer to Mario & Karina as "a strumpet with her gigolo" when Edyta was getting down in little more than a sequined thong? She was really showing her goodies last night!

Len's had a bug up his ass about Karina ever since she joined the show in S2. Just looked at how he scored her and the original Mario when they heads and shoulders better than the rest in S2.

Red Dog 04-22-08 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa

I predict Shanon will be sent home packing tonight.

Yeah, it will be tough for Shannon. Her only hope is that the female demographic of this show wants to keep Derek around. Marlee will get the sympathy vote. The large Broadway chick will get the Jane Six Pack vote.

big whoppa 04-22-08 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Len's had a bug up his ass about Karina ever since she joined the show in S2. Just looked at how he scored her and the original Mario when they heads and shoulders better than the rest in S2.

I just think Len took Karina to task over the rules more than anything. Karina seems to want to push the boundaries which doesn't help when there are sticklers like Len and Carrie Anne as judges. With Mario 1, there was a lift and a break in hold during a tango. That's all I remember. They respect Karina as a dancer and instructor.

Now, the judges were wowwed by the chemistry of Mario and Karina last night. Sorry but I didn't see any.

fujishig 04-22-08 06:15 PM

Yeah, it will be tough for Shannon. Her only hope is that the female demographic of this show wants to keep Derek around. Marlee will get the sympathy vote. The large Broadway chick will get the Jane Six Pack vote.

Haven't watched the actual show yet, but I was surprised at how frank Shannon was in a post-show interview, where she basically accused the judges of "knowing who they want in the finals" and not giving her a chance. Probably true, but still...

Goldberg74 04-22-08 09:25 PM

I don't know how better to "say" goodbye to the person that got voted out tonight...

... other than this:

:wave:

cmleidi 04-22-08 09:37 PM

The bottom two should have had Jason Taylor, but per usual, the sports guy sails through.

onebyone 04-22-08 09:48 PM

I was building up a lot of good will toward Shannon, but this week she seemed pretty dead set on taking it and setting it right on fire.

I love Marlee, but don't think it was too far off base for her to go this week. Regardless, she's aces in my book.

RocShemp 04-22-08 10:15 PM

Now, the judges were wowwed by the chemistry of Mario and Karina last night. Sorry but I didn't see any.

Neither did I. :shrug:

magiccmom 04-22-08 10:41 PM

Marlee is one classy lady.

DWilson 04-23-08 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I was building up a lot of good will toward Shannon, but this week she seemed pretty dead set on taking it and setting it right on fire.

I love Marlee, but don't think it was too far off base for her to go this week. Regardless, she's aces in my book.

Yeah, as I watched the two clips, it seemed like Shannon knee-capped herself, and the show helped her by showing two different clips from the same session. I don't know if they were playing it up to feature the relationship, -and, if anything, those clips sort of confirm that there's something going on more than the photos, -or the producers kind of wanted to stick it to Shannon. Still, they had a weird day with the photos coming out and all the badgering about them. Every Monday's a crisis for those two.

They did some damage control, but I think they need to do a little more...

big whoppa 04-23-08 12:48 AM

Dang, I was wrong again. Marlee was going to have a hard time after the judges' criticisms last week. Classy farewell speech.

What photos? ^ Both Derek and Shannon reacted pretty strongly to the criticism but it can happen to any of the dancers. It is the first time however that I've heard a pro (Derek) criticize the mistakes of the competition and the judges overlooking it.

das Monkey 04-23-08 01:00 AM

Yeah, he hates Karina. Apparently, so does America. :(

das

das Monkey 04-23-08 01:02 AM

It is the first time however that I've heard a pro (Derek) criticize the mistakes of the competition and the judges overlooking it.

It's been pretty clear since the first couple of weeks that Derek's in love with Shannon. His reaction struck me as protective more than anything else. His girl was hurt, and he lashed out.

Since when did Henry Winkler become a life coach?

das

big whoppa 04-23-08 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's been pretty clear since the first couple of weeks that Derek's in love with Shannon. His reaction struck me as protective more than anything else. His girl was hurt, and he lashed out.

das

In love? I don't know. Maybe. As far as Shannon, she only seems to see him as a little brother. Or they could be hitting it offstage. ;)

Henry Winkler is Marlee's friend brought on just to give her moral support. Hard to believe he was the Fonz, isn't it?

Red Dog 04-23-08 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey

Isn't that basically what the Fonz was to Richie, Potsie, Ralph, and later, Chachi for a decade? ;)

As for Shannon and Derek, I thought Shannon was married. Or did she get divorced? Anyhoo, that was a bit a surprise last night. I thought the carbon blobs would keep Marlee around.

Patman 04-23-08 07:35 AM

Tony must be amazed that he and Marissa are still around. He looks like he's having the best time with Marissa, but I suspect it's more about the fun factor, and not as much about technique and serious dancing.