Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

First CSI loses one, now CSI: Miami and Law & Order lose actresses.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

First CSI loses one, now CSI: Miami and Law & Order lose actresses.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by aintnosin
Clearly you're not a fan of The West Wing.
She was in, what, maybe 5 episodes of that show before she disappeared like Moira Kelly, never to be referred to again.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 04-29-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
She was in, what, maybe 5 episodes of that show before she disappeared like Moira Kelly, never to be referred to again.
Actually, she was in 12, was referred to at least twice fater (that I can recall) and returned for one of the final episodes (and she only appeared in 12 because she got a better paying gig).
Old 04-30-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Talk about life imitating art... Didn't Warrick have a drug problem?
Gambling.
Old 04-30-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Has anybody said why Diane was fired?

My friend is a PA on SVU and evidently, the buzz is that she was fired because she got... what's a delicate way to put this... fat.

It was very noticable last season, and to their credit, the producers did tell her no less than three times that she had to lose weight, but apparently she wasn't able to.

Hence, "Bye-Bye, Casey Novak."

-Doc

EDIT: Doubt SVU PsTB care about or even know of this board, but just in case, I've removed his name.

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 04-30-08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Gambling.
He had a drug problem in a recent episode, which was repeated last night.
Old 04-30-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by aintnosin
He had a drug problem in a recent episode, which was repeated last night.
I'd say that's pretty recent.
Old 04-30-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd say that's pretty recent.
Well, it was a repeat from before the strike, so maybe a lot of people forgot.
Old 04-30-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I assume the producers of CSI discovered Dourdan has a drug problem and wanted to let him go and have him get the help he needs without the public being aware of it, but that's not the case anymore. Hope he gets the help he needs.
Old 04-30-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe he was just trying to get into character.
Old 05-01-08, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
My friend is a PA on SVU and evidently, the buzz is that she was fired because she got... what's a delicate way to put this... fat.
She's heavier than she was when she started SVU, but she's hardly fat. She's still a good-looking woman in my opinion.
Old 06-24-08, 07:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The new ADA on SVU is Michaela McManus(One Tree Hill's Lindsey)

Old 06-25-08, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX

Why do we never see "hot" DA'S like this on Court TV during actual trials
Old 06-25-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX

I guess that eliminates one of the three possible people Lucas married at the end of this season of One Tree Hill.
Old 06-25-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I never would have imagined that someone with One Tree Hill acting chops would graduate to a show like SVU. Maybe CSI Miami, but not SVU. I wonder if she'll get her own showcase episode like they often do on SVU. That could be interesting to watch.

I also can't help but remember the last time Dick Wolf used the CW (WB) as his farm system. He plucked Elizabeth Rohm from Angel. Now there was a stellar move.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-25-08 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kurupt
I guess that eliminates one of the three possible people Lucas married at the end of this season of One Tree Hill.
That's too bad. I liked Lindsey. Now we're stuck with the Peyton-Lucas-Brooke triangle yet again.
Old 06-25-08, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can an actor be fired for being fat? That seems like it would lead to a lawsuit that they couldn't win. Plus, was Diane Neal pregnant recently? I think Aaron Spelling lost a wrongful termination suit for firing a pregnant chick back in the day.
Old 06-25-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
In that industry, I would imagine there are clauses in contracts that address the actor's appearance.
Old 06-25-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
In that industry, I would imagine there are clauses in contracts that address the actor's appearance.

Most definitely. Also, by their profession's definition, they must fit the part. You can fire actors for cutting their hair too short if you wanted to. It's why you'll never see any Disney World employees with noserings, mohawks or tats. Their contract lists them as "players", playing the part of concession stand workers, for example, while also promoting the Disney brand. It's actually a genius way around anti-discrimination and wrongful termination laws. Not saying it's morally (or even constitutionally) solid... but then again, I don't want a hairy, slovenly fat woman serving me my mouse-cream cone, so pick your battles...

Spelling's deal was that there was no clause stating that the actress could be let go for a pregnancy, and since it's such a sensitive topic to begin with, he was up shit's creak. If I was a producer of a TV show, I would DEFINITELY include in the contract that I could kill a character or write them out if they chose to get pregnant... or at least their salary goes down. I'd be furious if I had to suddenly hide an actress's belly behind random crap and alter story lines to accomadate her condition.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 06-25-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by comanche_doyle
I think Aaron Spelling lost a wrongful termination suit for firing a pregnant chick back in the day.

Yep - Hunter Tylo to Melrose Place. She was one beautiful woman.
Old 06-25-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Most definitely. Also, by their profession's definition, they must fit the part. You can fire actors for cutting their hair too short if you wanted to. It's why you'll never see any Disney World employees with noserings, mohawks or tats. Their contract lists them as "players", playing the part of concession stand workers, for example, while also promoting the Disney brand. It's actually a genius way around anti-discrimination and wrongful termination laws. Not saying it's morally (or even constitutionally) solid... but then again, I don't want a hairy, slovenly fat woman serving me my mouse-cream cone, so pick your battles...

Spelling's deal was that there was no clause stating that the actress could be let go for a pregnancy, and since it's such a sensitive topic to begin with, he was up shit's creak. If I was a producer of a TV show, I would DEFINITELY include in the contract that I could kill a character or write them out if they chose to get pregnant... or at least their salary goes down. I'd be furious if I had to suddenly hide an actress's belly behind random crap and alter story lines to accomadate her condition.

-Doc
As a former Disney employee, this is kind of true, but not 100%. While it's true that Disney employees are referred to as Cast Members, it doesn't change in ahy way what kind of employee they are. They don't get around anything in the legal department by calling people cast members, they just do it for the purpose of employee motivation, making them feel like they're more than who they are.

The thing about hair, rings and tats is true, but it's not an exclusive to Disney. Many compaines have appearance rules set forth in their employment guidelines, from hair length to tats and rings. Since these are temporary or elective modifications, they typically don't fall under discrimination. The Yankees have a strict policy on facial fair (look at Johnny Damon for example), and Disney does as well. But so does my current employer.

It's not discrimination if you choose to abide by the rules. Disney and many other employers have "at will" jobs, meaning they can fire you for any reason. And without the support of a union, or proof that your termination was the result of a manadated form of discrimination, you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Contract jobs are a much different story.
Old 06-25-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but then again, I don't want a hairy, slovenly fat woman serving me my mouse-cream cone, so pick your battles...
Whatever you do, don't go to Indiana.
Old 06-26-08, 05:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
More big L&O casting news, this time for CI

Change of Order: Goldblum Replaces Noth on CI

It goes without saying, he has Big shoes to fill. Jeff Goldblum, whose last foray into prime-time was with NBC's short-lived Raines, is joining USA Network's Law & Order: Criminal Intent. There, he will share lead crime-solving duties with Vincent D'Onofrio.

"Jeff's presence will add a new dimension to an already successful show," franchise overL&Ord Dick Wolf says in a statement.

Of Noth's second CI stint coming to an end, Wolf adds, "Chris has been a member of [our] family since the beginning, and Mike Logan is one of the most popular detectives in the history of television. We all wish him the best."

Noth is still filming Season 7 (which is currently unspooling Sundays on USA), and this news is very new to everyone, sources tell me, so it is unclear exactly how Logan will be written off the show and subsequently replaced.
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ting/800042273

Noth, in another article, said it was a mutual decision.
Old 06-26-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Noth. I prefer D'Onofrio, but holy crap with Goldblum I'll be watching CI on a regular basis now.

I was probably one of like 3 people who enjoyed Raines. I watched it switch timeslots after its 2nd episode and followed it until its brief end.

The format of CI should change to how it was before though.. D'Onofrio and Goldblum as PARTNERS.. that would make for some killer TV. I'm not a huge fan of the rotating weeks.

Also, that new ADA for SVU is a babe. I guess they decided against bringing back Cabot.
Old 06-26-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Wow. Jeff Golblum? Fucking awesome! Now we'll have two quirky mental cops.
Old 06-27-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by mcfly
I like Noth. I prefer D'Onofrio, but holy crap with Goldblum I'll be watching CI on a regular basis now.

I was probably one of like 3 people who enjoyed Raines. I watched it switch timeslots after its 2nd episode and followed it until its brief end.
Not that I feel pressured to like him, but there's something about Noth that just doesn't click for me. Perhaps it could be resentment due to holding him "responsible" for taking away half a season from Goren & Eames. Whatever it is, forcing myself to sit through the first half season with Anabella was painful - not "dentist with no novocaine" painful, just...painful.

However, since i'm another one of the 3, if I can't get an entire season with Goren & Eames, i'm more than satisfied with this.

Now, if they could only get rid of that teenage boy that was partnered with Noth...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.