Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Micronesia - Fans vs. Favorites - 4/17/08

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
That was awesome!

Fuck Ozzy and everyone else that went back on their word to Jason. Hopefully the other 3 will be miserable the rest of their stay on Micronesia.

I cannot stand people that have no intention of keeping their word. And that goes for Cirie and the others that crossed their fingers too, since they were planning on going back on their word from the start.

And for those that don't think it's wrong to go back on your word, well that just shows their character or lack thereof.

Chris
I'm a firm believer of keeping my word, however most people aren't. If someone's going to be on a show like Survivor, they're an idiot if they think that everyone is going to share that mentality.

It's a cut-throught environment, and everyone has to plan for contingencies.
That's what ultimately bit Ozzy in the ass. He should've used the immunity idol. He had more suspicion this week than any prior weeks that he might get votes. Since he's typically at the end of each individual immunity challenge, if he had used the immunity idol and found out that he didn't need to, he's back to square one. It's not as bad for him, as it would be for anyone else.

He was more of a target with having the II, then without. So get rid of the damn thing now that he's exposed as having it, and replace the oversized target, with a smaller one.

I'll miss Ozzy, though. He's a warrior, and very deserving of the final money.

I hate Cirie with a passion. She's more of a threat than Parvati.

I hope Parvati lasts another week or two, and then ousted. Or, actually, I hope she's get blindsided the same way Ozzie did. (Same with Cirie.)

I hope James, Amanda, or Eric wins it at the end.
Old 04-18-08, 01:14 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
This episode was awesome. While Ozzy was great at physical challenges, he was a moron for not playing his immunity idol. His ego got the best of him. Elisa's face during the votes reveal was hilarious (and somewhat scary).
Old 04-18-08, 01:52 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Loved to see the little cocky boy taken down.

ha!

Perfect even down to how the votes were read out.
Old 04-18-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I hated to see Ozzy go down. Cerie is playing the game well, but I just do NOT like her at all. And for all you Ozzy haters, at the very least, this "day after" video interview of him kind of makes him a bit more endearing. Some deep words. Or at the very least, a surprisingly articulation of his thoughts.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...lay=true&cc=13
Old 04-18-08, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TwineTime
How can anyone not know the difference between Erik and Jason by now?

Who is Stacey? Do you mean Ami? She was a Favorite.

Ever think we're seeing a lot of the Favorites because one of them wins? After all, this is Survivor, not Big Brother. They know who wins and edit the show accordingly. So just think of it like any other scripted show or film. There's a reason for supporting characters or cameos.
No, I meant Tracey (the one with the bad boob job)...just got her name wrong. She was struggling mightily to put together enough votes & forge some kind of alliance to stay alive. I didn't confuse her negotiations with Ami's pleading at the Council.

My confusion with Erik & Jason probably had more to do with their physical similiarities than anything else...not the fault of producers. Their personalities are very different from what we've seen. Still think that their onscreen time depends a lot on interraction with one of the favorites (except for Exile Island time digging up sticks).

I don't get your point about 'one of them wins' (I'm assuming you're talking about the endgame). The longer anyone hangs around, the more face time with the camera they're naturally going to get. So why shift the focus to the winners from the get-go? Why bother to have 10 people who are going to be largely ignored & merely serve as cannon fodder? And why tip the audience to the eventual winner?

Obviously, the producers are going to edit footage for maximum entertainment value. As has been discussed in past seasons, sometimes the producers emphasize a brief flareup that only lasted a moment & then passed, making it seem like a major conflict. They even edit in "reaction" footage taken at a different time from people who weren't even on the scene. And the stronger, more eccentric person is always going to get more attention & be more entertaining than the quieter person (except do-nothing Chet). I think Jonny Fairplay got more time in two episodes than Natalie has gotten all season. Also, when a person is on the chopping block, they're going to be featured in that week's episode (even when it's done to throw off the audience).

I still think that it's odd that we're down to the final 8 and we know very little about the fans. I'm not saying that there's not a good reason for it...maybe the 'fans' were just bland or so starstruck that they tended to follow the favorites' lead nearly all the time. And we obviously "know" the favorites better, having already seen them in earlier seasons, but I'm talking about their exposure this season alone. I'd just like to eventually get an explanation from the producers, maybe at the reunion show.

Also, since it's 4-4 now & Parv has at least temporarily aligned herself with several of the fans, it's possible we could end up with an all-fan final. The fans just need to get rid of one favorite next week to hold the upper hand, even if a fav wins immunity. Of course, another scenario would be for the girls to pick off the guys one-by-one.

If the fans' strategy coming in was to fly below the radar, it's working to perfection.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-18-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
Man, I hated to see Ozzy go down. Cerie is playing the game well, but I just do NOT like her at all. And for all you Ozzy haters, at the very least, this "day after" video interview of him kind of makes him a bit more endearing. Some deep words. Or at the very least, a surprisingly articulation of his thoughts.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...lay=true&cc=13

Thanks for the link. Interesting interview that confirms my suspicion that Ozzy was in Hog Heaven on the island & that he would be happy just living in such an environment.

Still thought he displayed a certain amount of superiority, though...talking about someone taking away HIS chances (as if they owed him a spot in the finals). Don't recall him being at all reluctant about lying to Jason & taking away HIS chances...that was just "part of the game", evidently, and Jason's doughnut gambit was just a dumb move (therefore Ozzy was justified going back on his word). Ozzy also didn't acknowledge that he had the ability to save himself with the idol and thus shared at least part of the blame for his demise (although he did refer to it in his send-off last night).

In the interview he compares his time on the island to a "religious experience"...being able to get close to God or nature without the distractions of "booze or the tv or sex or whatever".

Funny...it seemed like he was doing all right in the sex department out there. Guess the heavy late-night make-out sessions were just tribal bonding.

And his pining for Amanda would have been more poignant if he hadn't spent time snuggling with Alexis.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-18-08 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Cirie has been fantastic, she is a terrific strategic player and with someone who has as little skill as she does in almosty every challenge, it is amazing how far she has come in both seasons.

If Jason can make a friend or two.. he can go places..

But the women are really starting to pile up now.. a pretty interesting season.

That was a great Blind Side, from the camera work, to the reactions to the name reveals.

Can't wait for this show to be in HD
Old 04-18-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
If I was Jason, once everyone said they would not vote for him, I would have been very concerned because if the whole tribe went back on their word, then no specific individual would have to incur his wrath (and lose his vote) in a final-2.
Old 04-18-08, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aktick
The immaturity of the contestants this season just hit a new high with that finger crossing ordeal. Seriously? Crossing your fingers to get out of a promise? Didn't that "rule" end after about 3rd grade?

Well, I think it's funny Ozzie got blindsided like that and didn't use the idol, but the fact the Teeth is the ring leader and probably in control of the game now really annoys me. There have been some REALLY annoying characters on this show the last few seasons, but she tops them all, and not just because she's annoying, but because of the type of person she clearly is.

We can only hope that this "girl power" thing ends up the same way last time a group of women had such control of the game - with some guy somehow surviving each week and ending up with the $1 million.

I thought the 'crossing your fingers' ploy was merely a ruse to convince Ozzy & the others that they were going back on their word to Jason. Didn't the finger-crossers all end up voting for Ozzy?

I'm not a fan of the 'girl power' thing, either, but let's face it...the guys nearly always win the physical challenges, and the girls are playing with the tools they have,whether by flirting or by playing the gender card. May make for duller tv (forgive me, girls, but there have been a lot more memorable male contestants than female, IMHO), but it does increase their individual odds.

I honestly don't get the designation of Parvati as being the most annoying contestant of the past few seasons. She has a certain stuck-up attitude & can be snarky, but she at least does compete in the physical challenges. Next to Stephanie, she's the strongest female contestant I remember. Anybody here think they could hold one arm up for 6 1/2 hours even WITHOUT holding the rope attached to the bucket? And she caught Jason in the first leg of the swimming/net climbing challenge. Definitely a force...I like seeing her compete. Wish they would recruit more athletic women (Amanda is pretty good but she's not nearly as graceful as Parv).

Here are the characteristics I would rate as Most Annoying in descending order:

(1) The Quitter.
(2) The Whiner (the ones who moan about 'worst day of their life' the first time it rains on them).
(3) The Lazy Bum (sits around camp wanting to be waited on hand and foot)
(4) The Attention-getter (the one who exhibits fake eccentricities just to get more time on-camera).
(5) The Bully (tries to push everybody around, intimidate physically, boss the whole tribe. Would rate higher except they do sometimes manage to get necessary things done.)
(6) The Anti-social Screamer (has blow-ups & conflicts with most of the other contestants. The ones who would get fragged during the night in a real survival situation).
(6) The Blabber (won't shut up regardless of how aggravated their tribemates are getting at them. Authority on every subject.)
(7) The Anointed One (feels that it's their 'right' to automatically be immune from votes due to their stature in the tribe).
(8) The Vain (Thinks their stuff doesn't stink...they're the hottest thing ever seen).
(9) The Cocky (almost like #7 & 8 except they are merely over-confident in their strategy or intelligence rather than physical attributes)

I would say that Parv falls somewhere in the 8 & 9 range. That leaves a whole lot of worse characteristics ahead of her. Her strutting around & trying to play James is disgusting, but the guy is a willing boy toy. Also, I see signs of vulnerability & indecision in Parvati at times...she had me at least partially convinced that she was struggling with the vote against Ozzy (and not merely for strategy reasons).

How in the world can anyone find Parvati more annoying than Chet??????
Old 04-18-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Nope, Poverty is the worst.

And Stephanie was/is overrated.
Old 04-18-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any of the favorites who get voted out from here on out (plus Ozzy) deserve their demise. Cirie should have been the first person they voted off. She seems to be the type of player who isn't really as interested in winning the money as she is determined to stir the pot and make things interesting. They should have seen that and taken her out early on.
Old 04-18-08, 08:20 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only 2 positive things I can think of about Poverty: good competitor in challenges and her from the neck down.

She's a bitch, she's lazy around camp, she's an attention whore, and she thinks her shit doesn't stink.

And on the finger crossing thing...it didn't annoy me that people gave Jason their word and went back on it - that's Survivor, happens all the time, and it would be boring if it didn't - it was the whole childish finger crossing ordeal. But I see creekdipper's point about it being a ruse to convince Ozzie they were voting that way. I'm not sure if they were thinking vote Ozzie out at that point or not?
Old 04-18-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Cirie should have been the first person they voted off. She seems to be the type of player who isn't really as interested in winning the money as she is determined to stir the pot and make things interesting. They should have seen that and taken her out early on.

As I've said for many weeks, I am completely baffled why these dolts 1) made such a schemer part of a 5-way alliance and 2) didn't take her out with so many opportunities once she started manipulating things, particularly when they had the luxury of knowing this is her game from watching her on a previous season.
Old 04-18-08, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Best sendoff speech ever.

To the person in my alliance that voted against me, I pretty much hate you. Screw you.
I agree. I loved it, although I'm still mad Ozzy got tossed.

People really watch this for different reasons, maybe it's time for a spinoff show where it's more like the "badass edition" mentioned above.

I watch it for the stronger players battling the elements and each other in challenges. I hate that ozzy is gone, since he was so strong at both. It's even more insulting to me that he's gone, yet there are load of bums essentially around camp, and that have no chance of winning a competition unless it's tailored to their strength..

I hate all the social dynamics, and the alliances. A player like Cierrie I guess is a good player at the current game where you're rewarded for really being a weak player. But how exciting is it to see her stir the pot, not very much imho.

When James/Erik/Amanda or that other dude get voted off I'll stop watching, since there is nobody worth a d@m on the basis of survival instincts.

If I want to watch a bunch mother hens talking about one another I'll watch the view!

I think the best would be to have like a group of people put on an island to see if they could make it there like a year or something. Just cut it up and show all the exciting parts, and the challenges that go along with it. That would be the show.
Old 04-18-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Ozzy is a dumbass. He forgot one of the most basic things about Survivor: Being good at challenges will keep you in the game when you are still on teams, but will get your ass sent home quickly once the merge happens. He got too complacent and had an entitlement vibe going on this season.
Old 04-18-08, 09:09 AM

I say they make it a real "Survivor" show. Give them all big sticks and let 'em beat the shit outta each other. Then we'll see who really wins. And it'll be alot more entertaining, and a much shorter season.
Old 04-18-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I kind of felt like he was trying to figure out who did it.

I don't know who disappointed me more: Ozzy or Parvati. How could Ozzy not learn from James's mistake? Once they know you have the idol, they're going to keep coming after it until they get it. Use it! But Parvati turning on him and essentially eliminating herself from the game in the process? Still, it's fun to watch Cirie tear apart her own home. There was a time when she was an absolute lock for the Final 3. I'm curious to see where she ends up now that she's schemed her way out of it.

Oh, and could Jason be a bigger douche? In the open he talks about his "godlike" prowess in challenges and repeatedly refers to winning a bunch of challenges in a row in the past tense. Dude, you won a challenge. Very impressive. Let's not forget Courtney and Lil won immunity too.

I still think James is the dumbest ever, though. He had two idols with only three chances to use it left. He still had two more chances to win immunity just once and coast into the final. Ozzy at least had to think about the potential of using it later.

I wish they could find a way to do an All Badass season, where the game was restructured a bit to reward achievement. Keep the main game the way it is, but do one special season where it's all-out physical and mental competition in the challenges with rules that discourage voting someone out because "he's a threat". I know that's not what Survivor is about, but I'd love to see it anyway.

das
Well Parvati was faced with the decision of going against three strong physical players in Ozzy, James and Amanda at the end or going against Cirie, Natalie, Alexis and Erik. I think she made the right choice. She may have pissed off 3 people on the jury but she would have pissed off 4 others had she gone the other way. If Yau-Man was still around and orchestrated something like this then he would be seen as a hero. Odd.
Old 04-18-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Next to Stephanie, she's the strongest female contestant I remember. Anybody here think they could hold one arm up for 6 1/2 hours even WITHOUT holding the rope attached to the bucket? And she caught Jason in the first leg of the swimming/net climbing challenge. Definitely a force...I like seeing her compete. Wish they would recruit more athletic women (Amanda is pretty good but she's not nearly as graceful as Parv).
I remember Darrah the mortician being physically strong and winning challenges. I'm not going to get too carried away with her winning the Holding your arm up challenge. Although 6.5 hours is very impressive, it does not necessarily mean she is strong, just that she has a very light arm and good balance/bodycontrol.

One thing about Ozzy is he is extremely loyal/trusting. I think I remember that also being his downfall in the previous season he was in. You can watch his entire parting words video at the link. Interesting that he did not even bring the idol to TC. That is monumentally dumb. You never know what clues might slip out at TC or what feelings or suspicions might arise. Always come prepared!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...642047423&cc=4
Old 04-18-08, 09:22 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Old 04-18-08, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit

I'll miss Ozzy, though. He's a warrior, and very deserving of the final money
A Warrior that was brought down by 3 doughnuts~
I really wanted Ozzy at the end. Damn you Krispy Kreme! And didnt they just have a huge feast a day before? Especially Erik? dropping for gummy worms after how much food they had? Jason seems to be awesome at these challenges, he didnt look like he was gonna drop anytime soon. I'm just gonna hate hearing how he beat the great and powerful OZ. I hope he goes soon, and I cant believe the fans have the numbers now. Pretty pissy to me since I dont like a single one of them.

And I'm a big believer in keeping my word also, but I wouldnt expect it in these reality shows. Do we know anyone who ever won without ever breaking their word? I mean, it seems to be part of the game, not about character in real life.
Old 04-18-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - I have a problem thinking of Ozzy as a 'Warrior.' He's a great physical competitor who is very short on smarts.
Old 04-18-08, 09:41 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Though there weren't many votes, not ONE person in this here poll voted for Ozzy...
Old 04-18-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seemed clear early on that Ozzy was laboring significantly in that challenge. I think he knew he wasn't going to win and held out long enough to get some food for his efforts. I seriously doubt he was tempted by the donuts. Jeff could have offered him an acorn and he would have come down. He was twitching all over the place, while Parvati and Jason weren't even breaking a sweat.

das
Old 04-18-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by uteotw
Though there weren't many votes, not ONE person in this here poll voted for Ozzy...

I didn't vote, but considering he held the idol and that everyone knew he held the idol, the conventional wisdom was that if he might be in jeopardy, he'd do the sensible thing and use it. Oooops.
Old 04-18-08, 09:48 AM

I really wanted Ozzy at the end. Damn you Krispy Kreme! And didnt they just have a huge feast a day before? Especially Erik? dropping for gummy worms after how much food they had?
On Erik's part, I took that as a ploy to show he wasn't a threat and sort of endear himself to the Cirie clan. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit. But he also broke his guarantee to his fellow "fan" Jason to vote with Ozzy so he is obviously trying to "make friends" with those in power.

Cirie dropping first I'm sure didn't surprise anyone. First thing I said when I saw the challenge was "What do you want to bet Cirie drops first!" Seriously anyone who drops out of a challenge for candy is either a smart strategist or a pig. Candy doesn't even fill your belly or nourish your body. Of course Cirie doesn't really need nourishment for laying around camp and sucking at challenges. She will probably make the final 4.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.