Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadliest Catch - Season 4 Premier "GET ‘EM BACK SAFE!" & "STRIKING OUT" - 4/15/2008

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadliest Catch - Season 4 Premier "GET ‘EM BACK SAFE!" & "STRIKING OUT" - 4/15/2008

Old 04-15-08, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! Season 4 premiers tonight starting at 9PM Eastern, with back to back episodes.

Quick breakdown:

GET ‘EM BACK SAFE!
Deadliest Catch –April 15th 9pm eastern
Episode 1
Spoiler:
The crab fishing fleet once again sets off to brave the deadly Bering Sea and cash in on king crab. But first, Northwestern must quickly make much needed repairs. Wizard trains two greenhorns and Time Bandit welcomes Johnathan’s son Scott.

STRIKING OUT
Deadliest Catch –April 15TH 10pm eastern
Episode 2
Spoiler:
The crews are off to stake their claims on coveted grounds, but the sea is not going to give up its bounty without a fight. The Time Bandit pulls a prank. After only 48 hours, one Wizard greenhorn is already starting to fall apart.

Last edited by enderwiggin; 04-15-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 08:57 AM

I can't wait, especially after watching the marathons over the weekend.
Old 04-15-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go Sig!!!
Old 04-15-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn.... My stupid DISH isn't working now. I'm able to receive few channels, but not Discovery Channel, ESPN, HBO, Showtime, BBCA, and few more.
Old 04-15-08, 11:28 AM

Been waiting for this for months. Got Season 1 on DVD last year but I need seasons 2 & 3. I am having trouble finding Season 3 in HD DVD ever since HDDVD died. Anyone know where to find it?
Old 04-15-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The official Discovery site-

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/de...iestcatch.html

The blogs usually make an interesting read.
Old 04-15-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. I didn't realize it was 2 new episodes back to back so I'm even happier.
Old 04-15-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
I can't wait!! There's something about this show...I can watch episodes over and over and I'm still entertained. Now if only my cable provider offered the correct Discovery HD channel to view shows like this. Discovery HD Theater is pretty useless.
Old 04-15-08, 09:12 PM

good season so far....... i love this show...
Old 04-16-08, 03:10 PM

wow great show last night this season looks like its going to be the best one sofar. just from how last night went ....

cant wait till next week..
Old 04-16-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Once again, Edgar managed to disgust me. Ever get the impression he was the kid who ate his boogers in grade school just for a reaction?

Moi looks like a sad case. Did you hear him say he was down to the last $40 in his name and if he failed here he was screwed? I mean, good grief talk about a dead end of life.

There was something similar in the preview show, where they went over season 3 and showed a ton of footage that never aired. An old Vietnam vet showed up trying to get work, showing off his medals. Andy Hilstrand was in such a bind, having to say no. He should have told the guy it was his age. The guy had to be in his late 50s, and no one that old will survive on a crab boat. After that he rode off on a bike. I thought that was pretty damn sad to be that age, broke, getting by on bike in Unalaska, Alaska, trying to find any work you can.

That new boat, with its long string of pots, looks very interesting. Nice addition to the mix.
Old 04-16-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Good episodes last night.

If I was Capt. Phil I'd have stuffed that TV down Jake's throat. I'd go apeshit if one of my sons ever spent my money like that.

Looks like there's going to be some good drama from the footage of upcoming episodes. People getting hurt, people getting in fights, the Captains flipping out on the crew.
Old 04-16-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah, what was with that dumbass putting that TV in his space.
Old 04-16-08, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, what was with that dumbass putting that TV in his space.

yea not like he is going to have time to watch a movie... waste of money and time instead of him helping out the guys getting the boat ready he spending money that ain't his on a stupid tv... i cant believe his dad lets him stay on the boat.. he gets away with crap...
Old 04-16-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the LCD TV-this particular thing smells scripted to me. Jake also got rolled on the purchase. He said that it was a 24" LCD(Toshiba Regza) and that he paid $800.
Old 04-16-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny you should say that James. I was looking at the previews and kept thinking that the guys were "performing" for the camera. Jake's purchase is beyond stupid, even for a kid his age. I'm beginning to smell manufactured drama. If they get caught, they will be nothing more than 'The Hills' with boats and an uglier cast.
Old 04-16-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Regarding the LCD TV-this particular thing smells scripted to me. Jake also got rolled on the purchase. He said that it was a 24" LCD(Toshiba Regza) and that he paid $800.
Thats probably a steal in Alaska.
Old 04-17-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I kinda gave the t.v. a double look when he said that since the new 32" model is less than 700. Unless prices are that different in Alaska. I know i freaked when my kids used my CC to get a skirt, which was not even 5% of that price.
Great episode, i'm pissed that i didn't know about the second episode and it won't be again until tuesday night before the new episode.
Old 04-18-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like Deadliest Catch is scripting some of the action, which I suspected.

source

'Deadliest Catch' caught in fishy editing
By James Hibberd

April 18, 2008

Tuesday's fourth-season premiere of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" opens during a raging nighttime storm in the Bering Sea. Mammoth waves smash an Alaskan crab fishing boat called the Wizard, sending large swells crashing over its deck. Inside, alarmed crew members discover that their stateroom is flooding with incoming seawater.

The sequence suggests that the fishermen are in danger of sinking as a violent tempest tosses huge waves against the boat.

But here's the not-so-deadliest catch: The boat flooded in September. The huge storm waves were from October. And a producer may have filmed extra footage to help stitch the two events together.

Pages from a production outline obtained by The Hollywood Reporter suggest that producers of the cable network's top-rated series may have strayed from reality while editing the harrowing sequence from the show's record-setting premiere.

The document directs producers of the Emmy-nominated program to patch together a scene of life-and-death peril from different days of filming.

Discovery executives described the outline as an early draft that was dismissed by the show's production company. The sequence, however, does match what appeared in Tuesday's episode. The network strongly denies that re-enactment footage is ever used by "Catch," but it acknowledged that material from separate days of filming were combined to produce the scene in question.

From the outline:

WIZARD ROGUE WAVE: Combine Wizard leak story on 9/26 with the Wizard being hit by a big wave on 10/1 and 10/2. The fiction we are constructing is that the big wave hit the Wizard on their steam up to Dutch -- caused a leak in Lenny's stateroom. In reality these were two separate events. In addition to the original source material, (a producer's name omitted by THR) shot re-enactment footage.

See the video above for the scene that aired on Discovery.

Such editing and staging tactics are common on reality shows, but Discovery considers "Catch" a documentary and holds the series to the highest standard.

Discovery president and general manager John Ford said the outline was an early draft that did not rise to the level of network inspection. "It's a rough draft that was rejected," Ford said after speaking to producer Original Prods.

That said, the scene did combine shots from two different days. The exterior shots showing the Wizard being hit by the waves were filmed from another boat while the Wizard was alone during its actual flooding.

"The Wizard was struck by a big wave, and that wave caused the leak you see in the show," Ford said. "The thing we didn't have on camera was the actual wave that struck the Wizard. That was shot at a separate time on the same journey and was an insert edit from the show. We did that for story continuity because we didn't have a boat-to-boat shot."

Despite mixing the footage to create a more dramatic scene, Ford said the story told in the episode remains accurate.

"Everything that you see in the show happened," he said. "Nothing is made up and nothing needs to be made up. The Wizard was struck by a big wave, and that wave caused the leak you see in the show. The show is 100% authentic."

Also, Ford denied the suggestion that the show uses re-enactment footage, though sometimes "pickup shots" are utilized.

"For certain things, we do pickup shots for continuity," Ford said. "If the camera didn't run properly when the captain was boarding the boat, they have the captain back up and board the boat again."

Pickup shots are very common in unscripted programming of all stripes.

"There's pickup shots in documentaries," said Craig Borders, a reality series director who is co-chair of the DGA's reality TV committee. "Interviews can even be considered pickup shots."

At the outset of the current season, Discovery instructed producers to not use any re-enactments, Ford said. "Catch" did use a re-enactment shot once last year, and the scene was put into black and white and was labeled a re-enactment. Ford suggested that the production outline may have been written by a person unfamiliar with all of the show's guidelines, confusing pickup coverage with a re-enactment.

The leak comes a year after the network admitted another reality hit "Man vs. Wild" took liberties with storytelling. Although the "Catch" sequence doesn't compare to the gaffes committed by "Wild," parent company Discovery Networks always has positioned itself as "a nonfiction entertainment" programmer. (READ MORE: Discovery's tamer 'Wild')

Tuesday's episode was the highest-rated premiere in the network's history and was seen by 3.5 million viewers. The show also is the flagship entry in Original Prods. line of gritty blue-collar reality shows, including History's "Ice Road Truckers" and "Ax Men." The genre has become so popular on basic cable that NBC this month announced two Original Prods. shows set to air in summer 2009: "Shark Taggers" and "America's Toughest Jobs." (READ MORE: NBC to set family, blockbuster, adult hours)

Original Prods. declined repeated requests for comment.

Nominated for seven primetime Emmy Awards, "Catch" often is praised for its realism. Noting that Bering Sea fisherman have died while filming the show, the New York Times last week declared that "of all the reality shows, 'Deadliest Catch' is by far the realest."

With that in mind, the lines between reality programming, documentaries and docudramas are increasingly difficult to distinguish. And for many filmmakers, where those lines are remains uncharted territory.

Whatever the case, the inherent danger faced by the boat's crew is undeniable. Viewers have embraced the series because it offers a brand of man-vs.-nature escapism not found in scripted productions.

Last year, "Catch" fans on a Discovery Channel message board thread debated whether one scene was staged. The consensus: never on this show.

"I suppose we're a country that's been desensitized to 'thrills' because Hollywood spews them out so rapidly and easily," one viewer wrote on the board. "That's why I'm so hooked on 'Deadliest Catch.' It's so refreshing to see 'real life' that contains more thrills and chills than even Hollywood can imagine."