Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dancing with the Stars - (04/14/08 & 04/15/08) - 8 left (aka Half-way there!)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which couple will have the lowest combined score and be sent home?
Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas
0%
Mario (Barrett) & Karina Smirnoff
7.14%
Priscilla Presley & Louis van Amstel
50.00%
Marlee Matlin & Fabian Sanchez
0%
Jason Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
0%
Cristián de la Fuente & Cheryl Burke
14.29%
Shannon Elizabeth & Derek Hough
7.14%
Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latin week!

Episode 605a - Mon April 14 8/7c - 1h30m

The nine remaining couples must give it their all in the Samba and Rumba!

Episode 605b - Tues April 15 9/8c - 1 Hour
The Results Show... and only one couple goes home!

Old threads and results:

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-14-08 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed Jason and Edyta's scores.Anyone see what they got?
Old 04-14-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I missed Jason and Edyta's scores.Anyone see what they got?
Spoiler:
Old 04-14-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Marlee should have gotten a better score. She wasn't perfect, but she did some difficult moves. Mario was good but got too high scores, same for Mariisa.

I guess Priscilla will leave this week.
Old 04-14-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mario - definitely got high scores for being musically smooth during their performance, but it was scored a little too high.

Priscilla - she looked and danced her age, finally, as the latin style dances expose her lack of hip action. Probably in the bottom two this week.

Marissa - fun time on the dance floor from someone giving it all, plus Tony looks like he's having a grand time dancing with her.

Cristian - It was a so-so performance, which was disappointing, given his heritage. He might be going home.

Marlee - she was out of sorts at times, but it was to be expected on these dances that turn on a dime, and she wasn't able to keep up with the internal count in her head, but she is still impressive to watch dance given her deafness.

Kristi - was great, enjoyed every second of it. She got out of her comfort zone, threw caution to the wind and it improved her dancing on the artistic side, and she was still quite strong on the techincal side.

Shannon - looked nice, but never quite got into the groove, and still doesn't have the stamina (she was out of gas about 2/5 of the way into the performance).

Xerxes - he's kinda boring me now, doesn't have the snap in the hip action he needed to really sell that dance.
Old 04-14-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Goldberg
Old 04-14-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Priscilla, but damn I hate Louis. He is just so creepy and does such a bad job of choreographing for his dancer. He's trying to show off, period. Without Lisa to smile him into submission he is just weird. Having him back in reminding me of why I was so glad he took some time off.

I didnt think anyone was that great tonight. It was... OK I guess. I which Marissa and Tony would go but they probably wont.

I miss The Gutte and, heaven forbid, Adam. The whole night was just a bit bland without them for me.
Old 04-15-08, 02:02 AM

Louis is creepy; he's creepier than Priscilla's face was. Glad to see her face settling a bit. Bring back Jesse De Soto. I still mourn the loss of his sexy face. What is it with this season? I'm bored with most of the dances. Marissa and Tony were entertaining and I enjoyed Karina and Mario, but the other dances were zzzzz. Kristi and Mark are technically proficient, but so clinical and passionless. Jason and Edyta overscored again. If they are going to overscore a sexy guy, why don't they overscore Cristian? Is Shannon Elizabeth a smoker? Why is she always so winded? I'm growing to like Fabian, but did we really need to see Marlee's good will ambassador tour? Why not just invite deaf dancers to perform on the results show?
Old 04-15-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't remember much about last night's episode except for over Karina and then over that large chick doing the samba.
Old 04-15-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like they're giving Joey's old wardrobe to Jason. Why do they insist on casting Edyta and her partner as rejects from a '70s disco?

Karina's outfit was insane. I'm a little surprised they let it go that far.

I'm surprised that I've come to like Shannon Elizabeth. Every time I've seen her in interviews she's been way too talkative and annoying, but I like how much effort she's putting in and how hard much it means to her. The criticism of the judges really hit her hard, and I appreciate that. She cares.

I still don't get the criticism of Kristi and Mark being emotionless. I think they're beautiful to watch.

das
Old 04-15-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm biased towards Kristi but they are obviously overscoring Jason just to keep it from being a runaway. Not that I don't mind seeing Edyta staying around!
Old 04-15-08, 11:27 AM

Who behind the DWTS scenes thought it was funny to have Priscilla dance to "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face?" Being that the woman can't move a facial muscle, using this song was some cruel humor. Funny, but cruel.

I thought Mario/Karina were very good, but kept thinking that Karina had skinned BB for his feathers. Her dress was distracting with all that plumage.
Old 04-15-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The spray tanning machine is in overdrive!
Old 04-15-08, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
The spray tanning machine is in overdrive!
No joking. Cheryl, Edyta, and Karina could have a triple threat match to see who's got the darkest complexion. Sad thing is Cheryl would finish third, even with her Filipino heritage.

And the expression on Jason's face as Edyta unhinged herself with that vertical split was funny. He was trying so hard not to look, but you know he wanted to!
Old 04-15-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a hard time watching Mario with Karina dancing with him.

The tanning machines use has gone overboard. Karina looked like a black woman. Even the pale white guys use it on their chests.

I enjoy watching Priscilla. She's not coasting on her dead husband's name. She's putting in a lot of effort and it shows even though there have technical problems in the last two weeks. Props to Louis.

As good as Kristi and Mark are technically, I just can't get that enthusiastic about their performances. Can't touch Julianne and Helio. But unless the viewers boot her, Kristi and Mark will win this season.

Looking into my crystal ball, I predict Christian getting the ol' heave ho.
Old 04-15-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I missed the results show tonight. Who got the axe?
Old 04-15-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Priscilla.

With these new dancing kids segments, this show is almost impossible to watch now.

das
Old 04-15-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoiler:
Priscilla Presley & Louis van Creepy. I liked her and she could've gone further but that choreography in the last 2 weeks killed her dead.

Cristián de la Fuente & Cheryl Burke were the other half of the bottom two.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-15-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My vote was right.
Old 04-15-08, 11:41 PM

Some people actually fell for the April Fools job segment? Scary commentary.

Sad to see Priscilla go as she was a natural dancer who was paired with a creepy guy who can't choreograph according to his partner's strength. Please, don't bring him back next season.

I zip past the kid dancers.

It's fascinating to see how emotional and involved these celebrities get during elimination night. It's as if they are in front of firing squads. Poor Cristián. I wanted to hug him and then do a lot of other things that had have nothing to do with showing sympathy.
Old 04-15-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could have watched those dancers with James Blunt for the whole hour. They were magical. And...Tom Bergeron is the best host out there.

Wasnt surprised at the outcome, but I am surprised on how much I liked Priscilla Presley. Scary face aside, she was quite engaging, and quite an inspiration.
Old 04-16-08, 10:48 AM

Not surprised to see Priscilla go. It's too bad because she's a good dancer. Louis chereographed a routine that was far beyond her abilities. She couldn't pull it off and I doubt many others could, either. Louis tends to push his celebs partners too hard. He's better suited to chereographing the pro routines.

And I like the kids' segment, but wish they wouldn't talk to them so much. It can be uncomfortable listening to children trying to be so mature. But their dancing is admirable.
Old 04-16-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crystal ball was wrong this time. Oh well. I'd love to see Priscilla again over some of the other competitors.

Louis can't go since he does chereograph the pro dancers on the show. The only reason he didn't show up for the past few seasons was either he was busy with other projects or was too short for his potential partner. I like seeing him because he makes the dance routines interesting.

No love for the kids? I really enjoy the kid segments. Much better than the silly segments they did with Kimmel in the past too.

I could do without James Blunt. The Mexican group sounded great though. Strikes me strange that Def Lepperd will be on soon.
Old 04-16-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Louis can't go since he does chereograph the pro dancers on the show. The only reason he didn't show up for the past few seasons was either he was busy with other projects or was too short for his potential partner.
.. or has a creepy bobblehead.

Originally Posted by big whoppa
No love for the kids?
I actually do like the kids dancing, but the bio stories, post-dance interviews, and additional judging make it go on way too long.

das