DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Eli Stone - "Waiting For That Day" - 04/13/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/529448-eli-stone-waiting-day-04-13-08-a.html)

bigjim25 04-13-08 01:34 PM

Eli Stone - "Waiting For That Day" - 04/13/08

Sunday night episode airs after Housewives at around 10pm
Spoiler:
Eli has a vision of traveling in a taxicab when all of a sudden an earthquake hits. Eli tries to warn people but nobody believes him until he meets Daniel Foote (John Billingsley), a scientist that predicts the earthquake. Eli and Daniel try everything they can to shut down the Golden Gate Bridge by suing San Francisco only for Marci Klein (Katey Sagal),to oppose them.

Nick Martin 04-13-08 02:19 PM

Man I forgot this was on tonight.

Thanks for the reminder!

Goldberg74 04-13-08 07:54 PM

Me too... thanks!

Goldberg74 04-13-08 10:09 PM

Great episode, but...

Spoiler:
... with all the money they spend on the effects for the show, that's all they could afford for the "earthquake." A few blown windows, a Styrofoam beam falls on the conference table, and the the bridge "falls" apart.

Oh well. At least he was right.

Looking forward to Thursday's [season] Finalé. :up:

kstublen 04-13-08 10:12 PM

Brilliant episode. I truly think each episode has gotten progressively better. Hopefully ABC picks it up for a second season, but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Gizmo 04-13-08 11:24 PM

Ratings have been so-so for it, and tonight is to see if it would follow DH next year. I'd say chances are very good for a pickup, considering ABC most likley be dumping October Road (Grr) and Men and In Tree's.

DeputyDave 04-14-08 12:19 AM

Crap, I had no idea it was on tonight. I hope my DVR caught it. I have it set for all first run episodes but seems to be hit or miss. I have to double check all of my "regulars" every week.

I'm at work now and can't check :(

DJariya 04-14-08 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ratings have been so-so for it, and tonight is to see if it would follow DH next year. I'd say chances are very good for a pickup, considering ABC most likley be dumping October Road (Grr) and Men and In Tree's.

Hmmm, what about Brothers & Sisters, which currently owns the Sunday at 10pm slot? Eli's numbers would have to be outstanding for it to win this slot and have Brothers and Sisters relocated.

Frankly, Eli is doubtful to get renewed IMO considering it gets 6-7M viewers coming out of Lost. I doubt the numbers will be any better after DH.

rfduncan 04-14-08 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hmmm, what about Brothers & Sisters, which currently owns the Sunday at 10pm slot? Eli's numbers would have to be outstanding for it to win this slot and have Brothers and Sisters relocated.

Frankly, Eli is doubtful to get renewed IMO considering it gets 6-7M viewers coming out of Lost. I doubt the numbers will be any better after DH.

And it would certainly be interesting displacing Greg Berlanti's other show which is doing well in that timeslot. I found the choice to air a new episode tonight an odd programming choice. I accidentally saw the promo for this episode while watching last week's. Sure TiVo caught it, but I'm willing to wager that plenty of people who normally watch missed it.

Ayre 04-14-08 10:32 AM

That sunday 10pm spot following DH on ABC, has proven to be a great launching point for shows targetting a specific audience. It might be a better move to put B&S after GA and leave ES after DH. I am confident this is just an experiment to see if the slot can boost ES ratings.

kvrdave 04-15-08 12:04 AM

Good episode. The trouble with this show is that it started out gimmicky, didn't improve significantly quickly enough, and now is a really good show that lost viewers. That happens to shows I like.

However, I generally don't like "parallel universe" shows. Reminds me of The Lost World where CNN is reporting dinosaurs going back to an island. I don't remember that ever happening in this universe, and I don't remember the Golden Gate Bridge falling apart either.

But aside from that, I really enjoy it and hope we get to keep it rather than watch more crap where people open boxes or some such junk.

DeputyDave 04-15-08 12:13 AM

Great episode but like my fellow Dave says: Too late to save the show.

As much as I hate to say it I can't see this coming back.

Nick Martin 04-15-08 01:06 AM

I love this show.

Jordan's speech about needing Eli Stone rings true for the series itself.

kstublen 04-15-08 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
However, I generally don't like "parallel universe" shows. Reminds me of The Lost World where CNN is reporting dinosaurs going back to an island. I don't remember that ever happening in this universe, and I don't remember the Golden Gate Bridge falling apart either.

While I know it hasn't happened, I think it may have had something to do with all the predictions that have been making headlines lately that California will see a devastating earthquake relatively soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080414/...ifornia_quakes

Rogue588 04-15-08 04:39 AM

This episode made me realize that i'll miss this show after this Thursday.

Ayre 04-15-08 06:21 AM

Good episode. The trouble with this show is that it started out gimmicky, didn't improve significantly quickly enough, and now is a really good show that lost viewers.

I don't think the gimmick was the prophet angle, but musical number and the flailing comedy. Much better as a serious drama. Very good episode.

There is this underlying realization by the principle characters that Eli is a prophet. They may not know it yet, but they feel it. Jordan's speech implied it. I think this is a great undercurrent and gives Eli's gift more legitimacy than the acupuncturist provides.

rfduncan 04-15-08 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ayre
There is this underlying realization by the principle characters that Eli is a prophet. They may not know it yet, but they feel it. Jordan's speech implied it. I think this is a great undercurrent and gives Eli's gift more legitimacy than the acupuncturist provides.

Well, I'm not certain how many of the principle DON'T believe it as the majority of them fled to Golden Gate Park as instructed and witnessed Eli's prediction come to fruition! Too bad this wraps this Thursday and wont get a chance to explore all the potential repercussions of this outcome throughout the firm. Still I enjoyed seeing it all - especially since it was one of the only new things on the air for a while!

das Monkey 04-15-08 10:02 AM

I don't think the gimmick was the prophet angle, but musical number and the flailing comedy. Much better as a serious drama.

:up: It was just too silly too often.

What's annoyed me most about this show is how long it's taken certain characters to get on board, including Eli. Eli's "doubt" that his visions have deeper meaning is/was absurd, and I don't understand why he's still so determined to get the aneurysm out (if it's just to have "a normal life", they're not convincing me).

What I liked about Jordan's speech is it had nothing to do with believing Eli's visions, because he didn't go to Golden Gate Park. He believed in what Eli was accomplishing for the firm, independent of whether he was a prophet or not. I liked that.

das

Gizmo 04-15-08 10:19 AM

Too many people think its a goner...guess we'll know in a few weeks for sure.

kvrdave 04-15-08 10:28 AM

I don't think the gimmick was the prophet angle, but musical number and the flailing comedy. Much better as a serious drama. Very good episode.

I agree. The musicals could have happened once in 3 episodes or so and been a decent novelty.

I guess it wouldn't shock me if this got renewed. But it is hard to imagine that Journeyman won't be back but this will. I want Eli back, but Journeyman was a favorite of mine. It also improved too slowly, though. Especially with the allure of people opening boxes on tv. Idiocracy is closer than we think. :lol:

Patman 04-15-08 10:35 AM

I was iffy in the beginning, but I've enjoyed the past 3 episodes (I liked how Eli unloaded the chimp case, too funny).

Ayre 04-15-08 10:46 AM

I want Eli back, but Journeyman was a favorite of mine. It also improved too slowly, though.

I recently re-watched the last 2 episodes of Journeyman and they are some of the best TV I have watched in years. Eli Stone has a long way to go before it reaches that level. The identity of the show varies so drastically from week to week that I can't even say I am a fan yet. But it has improved.

Kal-El 04-15-08 12:36 PM

This has been my favorite new show this season and I really hope it gets renewed. Then again, I loved Journeyman too...

mdc3000 04-15-08 05:53 PM

I liked it when it started but didn't love it...now it's easily one of my favourite shows...it just WORKS. The characters are great, the actors are great and the writing is top notch. If ABC doesn't give this a second season, I'll be PISSED. It did OK in the ratings on Sunday night...

Rogue588 04-15-08 10:14 PM

I slowly went from half-paying attention as I was surfing DVD Talk and other sites after LOST to closing the laptop and giving it my undivided attention..