Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know why FOX doesn't have 10pm Programming?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone know why FOX doesn't have 10pm Programming?

Old 04-10-08, 02:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,681
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know why FOX doesn't have 10pm Programming?

Thread title says it all... I've always been curious as to why FOX doesn't do 10pm programming. Is it expense or deals with affiliates for 10pm news?
Old 04-10-08, 02:32 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it just to get the evening news on "first"?
Old 04-10-08, 02:33 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They don't have enough programming to fill the 8-10 slot m-f.

Do people remember when Fox used to just air several days a week?

The 'junior' network has definately come far.
Old 04-10-08, 02:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Me007gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they do their news early. thats why
Old 04-10-08, 02:49 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,272
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because of the news which I like. I never stay up past 10:15 pm because I get up for work at 6:00 am
Old 04-10-08, 03:20 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because then were would they put all the reruns of Two and a Half Men?
Old 04-10-08, 03:31 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've wondered that for years now. I get the Buffalo Fox, WUTV Fox 29 and they've never had evening or nightly news as far back as I can remember. Instead they've always had Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns, which have changed to more current shows as time has gone on.
Old 04-10-08, 03:32 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Me007gold
they do their news early. thats why
This is the correct answer. First to air local news.
Old 04-10-08, 04:12 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CharlieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,250
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the beginning, the 10p cut-off allowed them to get under the minimum amount of programming hours to be considered a full broadcast network by the FCC, which then got them out of a few regulations and such. I don't think this is as relevant now, but they kept it at 10p for earlier local news.
Old 04-10-08, 04:23 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,716
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because at 9 it's news.

At 10, it's history.

Old 04-10-08, 04:27 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because i dont want know where my children are at 11pm... i want to know at 10pm
Old 04-10-08, 05:06 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Because i dont want know where my children are at 11pm... i want to know at 10pm
I was just about to make this joke.
Old 04-10-08, 09:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Instead they've always had Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns, which have changed to more current shows as time has gone on.
here in chicago its still simpsons and seinfeld.
Old 04-11-08, 12:36 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: City Of Orange, CA
Posts: 8,069
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FOX flirted with 10PM programming back in the early 90's, on Sunday at least. I remember the Tea Leoni sitcom Flying Blind airing at 10PM. But the ratings weren't there and they probably didn't want to expand it to the rest of the week due to the news thing, as the Sunday experiment didn't exactly fare well.
Old 04-11-08, 01:24 AM
  #15  
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The affiliates dont want to give up one of the most profitable times on television especially for local news.
Old 04-11-08, 01:30 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,675
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlieK
In the beginning, the 10p cut-off allowed them to get under the minimum amount of programming hours to be considered a full broadcast network by the FCC, which then got them out of a few regulations and such. I don't think this is as relevant now, but they kept it at 10p for earlier local news.
This is the reason, although for the life of me I can't remember what the "regulations" were that they were trying to get out of... Did it have to do with ownership of TV stations? Something about full-blown networks like NBC and CBS aren't allowed to own individual stations, but since Fox wasn't a "network", News Corp. was able to buy a bunch of UHF stations and get themselves on the air? Or did it have to do with programming requirements (networks must have x hours of children's programming per day, for example)? I can't remember, but it was something along those lines.
Old 04-11-08, 08:54 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,391
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
This is the reason, although for the life of me I can't remember what the "regulations" were that they were trying to get out of... Did it have to do with ownership of TV stations? Something about full-blown networks like NBC and CBS aren't allowed to own individual stations, but since Fox wasn't a "network", News Corp. was able to buy a bunch of UHF stations and get themselves on the air? Or did it have to do with programming requirements (networks must have x hours of children's programming per day, for example)? I can't remember, but it was something along those lines.
I'd have to break out some mid-90's textbooks for the particulars, but as I recall, anything over 15 hours of prime-time programming meant that you were "legally" considered a network by the FCC. Fox likely never would have flourished if it was held to the same standards at the Big Three (since it would have been responsible for generating a good deal more programming, and not just prime-time stuff), and the FCC was more than willing to bend the rules for them a bit in the interests of fostering over-the-air competition. (As an example, I remember some grumbling when Fox acquired the NFL broadcast rights. 4:00 EST games would regularly run long, and into prime-time hours, technically pushing Fox over the 15 hour limit...but the FCC didn't seem to care.)

Station ownership by individual networks was a completely separate issue.
Old 04-11-08, 11:58 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I've wondered that for years now. I get the Buffalo Fox, WUTV Fox 29 and they've never had evening or nightly news as far back as I can remember. Instead they've always had Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns, which have changed to more current shows as time has gone on.
Seinfeld has been in the 10pm slot for well over 10 years now. I couldn't imagine anything else ever airing in its place. It's always been Seinfeld at 10, Simpsons at 11.. then usually the 10:30 and 11:30 slots rotate every Fall.

I remember back in the early 2000s they flirted with the idea of having a 10pm news on WUTV, but ended up putting it on WNYO instead. That lasted all but a year.. notice when WGRZ owned the PAX affiliate around the same time they had a 10pm newcast too, but that fizzled out when Gannett sold it and PAX became the i Network.

I always found it bizarre seeing 10pm news on in other parts of the country considering we only kind-of had it for a brief time.. now the area went from 3 networks having news at 10 to just 1, and that was a couple of years ago.

Doesn't look like much as changed back in Buffalo.

Last edited by My Other Self; 04-11-08 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 03:53 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bigjim25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 11,220
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Anyone know why FOX doesn't have 10pm Programming?
The reason is FOX can't keep enough shows from 8 - 10pm. If it doesn't do good ratings in 1 or 2 airings they either cancel it or burn off the episodes on Fridays. They were good in the 90s but they suck now.
Old 04-11-08, 07:04 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From wikipedia:

Differences between Fox and the "Big Three" networks
Fox only airs two hours of network programming during the prime time hours (three hours on Sundays), compared to the three hours (four on Sundays) by the other major networks (except for The CW and ION Television). This allows for many of its stations to air local news during the 10 p.m. time slot. Fox's original reason for the reduced number of prime time hours was to avoid fulfilling the FCC's requirements at the time to be considered a network [7] and to be free of resulting regulations, though FCC rules have been relaxed since then.

Fox also does not air soap operas or any other network daytime programming (game shows, talk shows) despite being a major network. Because of this, affiliates have more time for lucrative syndicated programming. (Fox produces three syndicated daytime courtroom shows, Divorce Court, Judge Alex, and Cristina's Court). However, it has been reported that Fox may be moving into the arena in the near future, as they have ordered a daytime drama pilot called Born in the USA which has already been cast and has now started production. [8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19]


[edit] Local news
At least half of Fox's 180 O&O and affiliated stations air local news in the 10-11 p.m. (9-10 p.m. CT/MT) timeslot. The newscast schedules on Fox stations vary more from station to station than ABC, CBS and NBC's affiliates. Some Fox stations have a newscast schedule similar to the Big Three's affiliates along with the added late evening newscast at 10 p.m. and a late afternoon newscast extended by a half-hour competing with the national evening newscasts, while others only have a 10 p.m. newscast.

Tampa's WTVT has the most local news of any Fox station with roughly 52.5 hours per week, followed by Kansas City's WDAF-TV with 49 hours a week. Only a few Fox stations that air an 11 p.m. (or 10 p.m.) newscast along with a 10 p.m. (or 9 p.m.) newscast. WDAF-TV, WTVT, WITI in Milwaukee, WFLD in Chicago, KDFW in Dallas/Fort Worth, WBRC in Birmingham, KMSP in Minneapolis-St. Paul, KSAZ in Phoenix, WTTG Washington, D.C and KTVI St.Louis. are the only Fox-owned stations to have a 11p.m./10 p.m. newscast in the Central and Mountain Time Zones with only WDAF, WITI, WBRC, WTTG , and KSAZ airing it every night. KOKH in Oklahoma City and WSVN in Miami are the few non-O&Os airing a 10pm (or 9 p.m.) and a 11pm (or 10 p.m.) newscast.

Stations that don't air local news air syndicated programming, usually off-network sitcoms in that timeslot, though some small market Fox affiliates outsource their newscasts to a Big Three station in the market (either situation may change in the future as more Fox stations start their own news divisions). Upstart Fox local news divisions do not run a full slate of newscasts (i.e., morning, midday, early and late evening newscasts plus news on weekend evenings and possibly weekend mornings), instead starting with a 10 p.m. newscast then gradually adding other newscasts.

The largest market with a Fox affiliate that airs no news whatsoever is Buffalo, New York, where WUTV has long opted for sitcom reruns instead to draw a different audience.
Old 04-11-08, 11:14 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,706
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Seinfeld has been in the 10pm slot for well over 10 years now. I couldn't imagine anything else ever airing in its place. It's always been Seinfeld at 10, Simpsons at 11.. then usually the 10:30 and 11:30 slots rotate every Fall.

I remember back in the early 2000s they flirted with the idea of having a 10pm news on WUTV, but ended up putting it on WNYO instead. That lasted all but a year.. notice when WGRZ owned the PAX affiliate around the same time they had a 10pm newcast too, but that fizzled out when Gannett sold it and PAX became the i Network.

I always found it bizarre seeing 10pm news on in other parts of the country considering we only kind-of had it for a brief time.. now the area went from 3 networks having news at 10 to just 1, and that was a couple of years ago.

Doesn't look like much as changed back in Buffalo.
Ch 4 is now affiliated with one of the smaller networks, I think maybe the one that carries WB stuff and they do a 10pm news on that station

hmm, just checked tvguide.com
appears that the mytv affiliate does ch2 news at 10 and CW does teh ch4 news at 10
Old 04-12-08, 01:09 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish Fox did air shows at 10pm...that would mean maybe, just maybe, I'd be watching new episodes of Firefly, Wonderfalls or Drive right now...maybe all....sigh.
Old 04-12-08, 02:28 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,973
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Fox also accommodated the two hours per weeknight schedule because they noted the ENORMOUS success of KTVU's 10 pm (Pacific) news broadcasts in the San Francisco area (KTVU is a charter Fox affiliate).
Old 04-12-08, 10:39 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,456
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I wish Fox did air shows at 10pm...that would mean maybe, just maybe, I'd be watching new episodes of Firefly, Wonderfalls or Drive right now...maybe all....sigh.

or an hour of "So You Think Your Mom is a Slut!"

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.