DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Survivor: Micronesia - Fans vs. Favorites - 4/10/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/529210-survivor-micronesia-fans-vs-favorites-4-10-08-a.html)

agent2099 04-13-08 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Yeah I was amazed, that dude that won seemed to be totally fine right away Vs Ozzy who I thought was going to puke.

The challenge itself was really cool, but it didn't seem as controlled as it could have been. I'm thinking based upon your position in the cage, one person's cage could be more under water then another.

That's the only reason I could imagine that dude was so fresh.. Maybe it was weighted more on the sides, thus the middle was a little more above water and the dude was able to outlast James/Ozzy on the sides. (then again I thought james would be out in 5 seconds)

Another problem with the challenge is it seems to favor people who have more narrow faces. If you saw in the beginning of the challenge Aliza could almost fit her entire face through the gate, giving her more time above water than the others. Unfortunately for her she did not have the strength/willpower to put it to use. However if you look at James face vs. Jason, James has a more round face which could have worked against him in that challenge.

Also, James reaction at the end was priceless. But his reaction was to Ozzy's comment about working hours on the idol and not just the fact that Aliza was "fooled" by it.

TwineTime 04-13-08 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by agent2099
Aliza

James posts at DVDTalk! Didn't realize you were a poster here.

Merkin Muffley 04-13-08 10:33 PM

Finally...they announced Survivor is going HD next year. This is both good (Elisabeth, Amber, etc.) and bad (Kathy, Sue, etc.) news.

mrpayroll 04-14-08 12:01 AM

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

'Survivor' moving to high-definition

Reality show to begin shooting in summer
By JOSEF ADALIANMore Articles:
Posted: Sun., Apr. 13, 2008, 5:00pm PT

The 17th edition of CBS' 'Survivor' will lense this summer in high-definition for a fall debut.

"Survivor" is going HD.
Granddaddy of the current generation of competition-based reality shows will make the jump to high-definition starting with its 17th edition, which lenses this summer for a fall debut.

"Survivor" will be the first CBS reality show to be produced in HD, and one of just a handful of reality skeins to opt for the more expensive technology.

Announcement of the "Survivor" shift was made Sunday by Sony and CBS at the National Assn. of Broadcasters convention in Las Vegas. "Survivor" will use Sony's XDCAM production system to make the transition to HD.

"Survivor" exec producer Mark Burnett said the jump to HD would usher in "a new era" for his show, "creating an immediacy that draws viewers right into the frame. This is something we'd been looking to do for some time."

CBS reality guru Ghen Maynard said HD would open up new storytelling tools for the show's producers.

" 'Survivor's' locations and natural elements have always served as another character in the show and an important part of the competition," Maynard said. "With HD, viewers will feel as if they are on location instead of in their living room."

CBS and Sony didn't reveal the cost of the move to HD, or whether Sony would subsidize the expense. However, the large number of cameras used by reality skeins such as "Survivor" -- not to mention specialized cams, including some that film underwater -- has long been cited as a barrier to moving reality shows to HD.

Just three network reality shows -- "American Idol," "Dancing with the Stars" and "American Gladiators" -- are produced in HD, according to a February survey of the TV landscape by USA Today. All three skeins are studio-based, a factor which limits the costs associated with going high-def.

A CBS rep said there's no word yet on if, or when, the Eye's travel-adventure reality skein "The Amazing Race" will move to HD.

I would rather have posted this as a separate story, but since you posted it here, I'm forced to post the full story here.

Finally, is all I can say. It's been long overdue to be filmed in HD.

And The Amazing Race only gets about 3 million less viewers a week and a ton more 'Best Reality Show' Emmy's, so it's time for that show to also be filmed in HD. :thumbsup:

Chris

Joeboo835 04-14-08 12:30 PM

you guys missed one of the best lines of the night:

Jeff: "Eliza, its hard not to notice your eyes rolled ...."

MrE 04-14-08 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TwineTime
I thought it was the other way around?

-wink- Too subtle for this crew.

TomOpus 04-14-08 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Finally...they announced Survivor is going HD next year. This is both good (Elisabeth, Amber, etc.) and bad (Kathy, Sue, etc.) news.

I could never figure out why it's taken so long. This show should've been one of the first to go HD. They've missed a lot of great locales.

T-bone22 04-14-08 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
you guys missed one of the best lines of the night:

Jeff: "Eliza, its hard not to notice your eyes rolled ...."

rotfl I laughed so hard when he said that, though I felt a little sorry for that poor girl.. this episode especially.

davidh777 04-15-08 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm probably in the vast minority here but I didn't want to see Eliza go. Yeah, cutting her out now seemed like the logical idea but at the same time she is a pretty good player and was entertaining, at least compared to some of the duds they have this season. I think she had a shot at going deep if Ozzy and co didn't off Ami and if Penner was still in the game as he should be.

I've always liked Eliza (sometimes I've wondered why) and thought she played very well this season.

Big Boy Laroux 04-18-08 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

I would rather have posted this as a separate story, but since you posted it here, I'm forced to post the full story here.

Finally, is all I can say. It's been long overdue to be filmed in HD.

And The Amazing Race only gets about 3 million less viewers a week and a ton more 'Best Reality Show' Emmy's, so it's time for that show to also be filmed in HD. :thumbsup:

Chris

awesome! and i would think this would only help ratings. I know tons of people who watch discovery channel just because of the beautiful shots. There are so many opening shots in Survivor that are gorgeous in SD - imagine them in HD!