DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Unsolved Mysteries returns in October on Spike TV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/529176-unsolved-mysteries-returns-october-spike-tv.html)

DJariya 04-09-08 09:17 AM

Unsolved Mysteries returns in October on Spike TV

Yup, this is the same show that use to be on NBC, CBS and Lifetime that was hosted by the late Bob Stack. The new host is Dennis Farina.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...80407spiketv02

'Unsolved Mysteries' Gets a New Look on Spike TV

Dennis Farina To Host Episodes Created Exclusively For Spike TV Re-purposed Episodes Available on Spike Digital and Mobile

NEW YORK, April 7, 2008 -- Spike TV is updating the long-running "Unsolved Mysteries" franchise by creating a new collection 175 re-edited episodes hosted by acclaimed television and film actor Dennis Farina. The new episodes, focusing on more of the dangerous and action-oriented cases, will also be available on Spike's web site, http://www.spike.com, and mobile outlets.

Spike's TV's "Unsolved Mysteries," featuring real-life cases of unsolved crimes, missing persons and unexplained paranormal phenomena begins its five year run on Spike TV in October, 2008. Each one-hour episode will feature five stories re-enacted by professional actors, plus brand new show wraps and updates on past stories. The series will be stripped weekday afternoons.

Emmy(R)-nominated producers, John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer, serve as executive producers for Spike's "Unsolved Mysteries."

Shot in documentary style, "Unsolved Mysteries" has been an incredibly successful television franchise, running on a variety of different networks since launching in 1987. With the host serving as narrator and actors portraying victims, witnesses and perpetrators, each episode re-enacts true-to-life crimes, missing person reports and unexplained phenomena as reported to police. The series urges its viewers to contact the show if they have any information that could help solve a crime that was featured in one of the episodes.

TheMovieman 04-09-08 09:23 AM

I'll watch, but as much as I like Farina, he doesn't have the creepy/spooky presence like Robert Stack...

Gizmo 04-09-08 10:08 AM

Oh fuck yeah. One of my favorite shows. Someone better bump this thread when it comes on.

What ever happened to HBO remaking the show?

DJariya 04-09-08 10:11 AM

It looks like this new incarnation is from the same producers of the original Unsolved Mysteries, so I guess the HBO deal fell through. I'm just happy it's from the same creative team and we're getting 175 new episodes!!!

Norm de Plume 04-09-08 02:24 PM

This is the best TV-related news I have heard in a long time!
Too bad Stack is gone, but I hope - though doubt - they bring back the awesome original theme music (not the increasingly diluted versions of later years). Maybe some of us fans can lobby Spike to that effect.
More importantly, I hope the production is at the same level of quality and subtlety. What distinguished Unsolved from shows like America's Most Wanted was the sophistication and lack of sensationalism that was brought to the material. No unbearable rat-a-tat camerawork, trendy hip-hop vibe, or mindless emphasis on sex and violence. Unfortunately, given that it will be on the Spike caveman channel, that will probably all change for the worse.
One other minor change I would appreciate is if they avoided "miracles" and other such flaky subject matter. I always preferred the crime segments, but I also really liked ones in which someone was searching for a loved one or person who had played an important role in his/her life.

Oooh, this is exciting.

Scott27 04-09-08 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It looks like this new incarnation is from the same producers of the original Unsolved Mysteries, so I guess the HBO deal fell through. I'm just happy it's from the same creative team and we're getting 175 new episodes!!!

These aren't exactly "new" episodes - they're using cases/stories from the old episodes, putting them together differently, and filming new wrap-around segments with Farina. Most (if not all) of the stories are going to be familiar (with some updates, I'm sure) to people who regularly watched the show back in the day.

"Spike TV is updating the long-running "Unsolved Mysteries" franchise by creating a new collection 175 re-edited episodes"

Tracer Bullet 04-09-08 05:54 PM

Nice!

Norm de Plume 04-09-08 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scott27
These aren't exactly "new" episodes - they're using cases/stories from the old episodes, putting them together differently, and filming new wrap-around segments with Farina. Most (if not all) of the stories are going to be familiar (with some updates, I'm sure) to people who regularly watched the show back in the day.

"Spike TV is updating the long-running "Unsolved Mysteries" franchise by creating a new collection 175 re-edited episodes"

Oh, sounds like a recipe for bastardization.

DJariya 04-10-08 01:43 AM

Even though they are re-edited from older cases, I will definitely watch all 175 of them. And I still consider them new. There are still so many cases from back in the day that I would love to hear some new information or updates about.

I do hope they use the same theme music though.

TheKing 04-10-08 04:44 AM

This is about the only show I can think of that could play on both Lifetime and Spike. Not that it ever really felt right on Lifetime. Robert Stack and tampon commercials just didn't make a good pair.

lordwow 04-10-08 05:14 AM

Every time this show comes back it's worse.

Norm de Plume 09-19-08 02:30 AM

Just a heads-up for fans. October 13th is the start date. I hope they haven't screwed with the formula too much.

Tracer Bullet 09-19-08 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 8949027)
Just a heads-up for fans. October 13th is the start date. I hope they haven't screwed with the formula too much.

It's Spike, so don't hold your breath. I'll still watch the premiere, though.

gmanca 09-19-08 02:04 PM

Unsolved Mysteries used to freak the crap out of me as a kid; I was totally waiting for Shack to get attacked by some ghost or alien since he was always hanging out in some alley or at the actual place that was haunted.

Geofferson 09-19-08 02:16 PM

I like Farina, but he's got some big shoes to fill...

Gizmo 09-19-08 05:27 PM

2 Hours of UM a night 5 days a week (with re-runs on the weekends...) Oh hell YEAH! I've burned through the 7 DVD sets released many, many times.

islandclaws 09-20-08 11:12 AM

So they're just re-editing the classic episodes but instead of Robert Stack's monotonous and creepy delivery we've got Farina? Pass. I'd rather watch old episodes on YouTube. Stack's intimidating voice was half the reason the show worked so well. The other half was the unsettling title music, which I have no doubt will be replaced by hip-hop.

ScissorPuppy 09-20-08 11:19 AM

Chris Walken of Terrence Stamp would have been better choices as hosts.
Would have kept the spooky vibe, but also could have ended up being comical.

The current casting gives it more of a "cop" feel, which already turns me off.
Let's hope they can keep the original tone of the show still.

Oh yeah and Spike is bringing back "updated" Rescue 911 shows hosted by Delroy Lindo too! ;oP

DJariya 09-20-08 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 8951322)
So they're just re-editing the classic episodes but instead of Robert Stack's monotonous and creepy delivery we've got Farina? Pass. I'd rather watch old episodes on YouTube. Stack's intimidating voice was half the reason the show worked so well. The other half was the unsettling title music, which I have no doubt will be replaced by hip-hop.

I think you should wait until October 13th to reserve judgment. I read that they will also be updating alot of older cases. I believe they are producing like 175 episodes.

Rypro 525 09-21-08 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 8951334)
Chris Walken of Terrence Stamp would have been better choices as hosts.
Would have kept the spooky vibe, but also could have ended up being comical.

The current casting gives it more of a "cop" feel, which already turns me off.
Let's hope they can keep the original tone of the show still.

Oh yeah and Spike is bringing back "updated" Rescue 911 shows hosted by Delroy Lindo too! ;oP

damn, I watched both requently as a child, Stack was always the 'unsolved mystery's guy, and i've always associated Shatner with Rescue 911, since i watched it before i really knew about the original star trek

lordwow 09-21-08 07:55 AM

If any of you are really interested in updates from segments:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...play.php?f=322

This message board has probably the biggest group of fans around, and they constantly update threads with information that has come in, and you'd be surprised that some of these cases are just getting solved now, what 20 years later.

Gizmo 10-08-08 01:24 PM

Set your DVR people!!! October 13th baby!

ckw4b 10-08-08 03:05 PM

I used to love this show, but it's not going to be the same without Stack's creepy monotone voice.

gmanca 10-08-08 03:35 PM

The title sequence is terrible, totally uncreepy and the old theme is replaced by some sort of Shakey's pizza piano honkytonk.

www.unsolved.com

Gizmo 10-08-08 04:45 PM

Looks good to me. I'm going out to buy a DVD Recorder so I can record all of these directly to DVD. Man I love this show.