Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Final 8, April 8 & 10 plus America Gives Back (April 9)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off this week?
David Archuleta
0%
David Cook
4.76%
Michael Johns
11.90%
Jason Castro
2.38%
Carly Smithson
11.90%
Brooke White
1.19%
Syesha Mercado
36.90%
Kristy Lee Cook
8.33%
Nobody will be voted off this week
22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Final 8, April 8 & 10 plus America Gives Back (April 9)

Old 04-11-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
What I meant by my question is it's like they refuse to let go of their golden child. They're still hoping that she'll come around and live up to their expectations. But I don't think she will. Her expiration date is way past due.
Maybe it's a bit of a pride thing - de-pimping her, so to speak, is an admission of being wrong in the first place. As cynical as I might be, I believe that the public voting is real. And there's not much AI can do when the public doesn't like someone.

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Oh, next week is Mariah Carey's turn as guest mentor. That's a trainwreck waiting to happen. The contestants are going to slaughter the high notes and MC is off in her own version of reality these days. Should make for some funny moments, though.
Oh crap. And MC has enough of a catalog that it probably will be her songs they use (unlike Gwen Stefani week). At least the judges will be forced to hold back on the "nobody should do Mariah except for Mariah" comments.
Old 04-11-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... here's something interesting - just perfect for the obsessive idol fans out there. A chance to buy Idol postage stamps - fifty different designs for each of the seven winners, so 350 different stamps. And of course people will be collecting sheets of stamps. Now, if they made Carrie Underwood's or Kelly Clarkson's stamps "scratch and sniff", I'd be there.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24072225/

Idol’ winners to appear on postage stamps
Fans will get a chance to lick all seven winners — in the form of a stamp

Fans of “American Idol” will get a chance to lick all seven winners of the hit Fox reality show — in the form of a stamp, that is.

Fox has announced a partnership between “Idol” and Photostamps.com to release unique collectable postage stamps of past “Idol” winners Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks and Jordin Sparks, along with the upcoming season seven champ.

All 50 U.S. states will get an exclusive design. Every week, Photostamps.com will print 100,000 sheets of each winner, with each state having its own design featured on 2,000 of the sheets.

A stamp of season one champ Kelly Clarkson is already available for purchase on Americanidol.com and Photostamps.com. Past season winners stamps will be available for purchase online every Tuesday for the next six weeks.

Proceeds from the “Idol” stamps will benefit the “Idol Gives Back” charity organization, which benefits Children’s Defense Fund, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Make It Right, Malaria No More, Save The Children, and the Children’s Health Fund.
Old 04-11-08, 08:03 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I was thinking you had to be dead to be on a stamp, but I guess this photostamps thing doesn't count.
Old 04-11-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johns got all of my votes, so this was very disappointing. I thought the show as a whole was very good, sans Seacrest's annoying delivery.
Old 04-11-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
The footage may have been family-shot, but I have trouble believing that you could meet the AI contestents at an airport and have them stand around while you sing a song to them without you having connections with AI producers. At least without having AI security drag you away after a few notes. Maybe I'm being cynical, but AI has given us plenty of reasons to suspect the worst.
brilliant! This is all the producer's master plan to spring David Archuleta on the world. Get the Season 1 AI contestants together with 11 year old Archuleta. Have him sing the DreamGirl song (because they also knew about Jennifer Hudson eventually getting on the show and winning an Oscar) ... capture that on blurry videocam. Now wait 6 years/ and 6 cycles of AI until Archuleta is age eligible and bam! he can become the chosen one.
Old 04-11-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
bam! he can become the chosen one.
He has always been the chosen one. He will always be the chosen one.

das
Old 04-12-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
brilliant! This is all the producer's master plan to spring David Archuleta on the world. Get the Season 1 AI contestants together with 11 year old Archuleta. Have him sing the DreamGirl song (because they also knew about Jennifer Hudson eventually getting on the show and winning an Oscar) ... capture that on blurry videocam. Now wait 6 years/ and 6 cycles of AI until Archuleta is age eligible and bam! he can become the chosen one.
Glad to see you finally comprehend the true power and evil of the AI/David Archuleta grand plan for world domination!
Old 04-13-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of iTunes Top 10 songs, four are from AI (looks like stuff from America Gives Back):

3. Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown - No Air
7. Chris Daugtry - What About Now
8. Carrie Underwood - Praying for Time
10. Shout at the Devil - Various Artists

(OK, it's actually Shout to the Lord, but it would have been pretty cool if they had covered the Motley Crue song)
Old 04-13-08, 01:16 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
My wife and I bought several of the songs to show our support of the cause.

Well, at least the net proceeds will go to the cause.

Old 04-13-08, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very disapointing that Michael Johns got the boot because he did NOT deserve to go home...CARLY DID! I think that Ryan was told by the American Idol creators to not say what name was actualy on the card because you know AI chooses who they want to stay and go some of the time. But Whatever at least my favorite is still in the competition which is David A. LOVE HIM! I have to call it right now but he is gonna win the show..you can just tell! And if not then he WILL finish 2nd at least!
Old 04-13-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Man, Jordin Sparks is shitty at lip synching.