Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 04/05/08 - H: Christopher Walken - MG: Panic at the Disco

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 04/05/08 - H: Christopher Walken - MG: Panic at the Disco

Old 04-06-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SNL has been so uninspired for so long now that I think there's something incredibly amusing about Walken's trademark cue-card-reading delivery.

das
Old 04-06-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I made it to the first shitty song and turned it off, having not laughed once.
Old 04-06-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He has that village idiot slurred delivery that made the reading seem funny. Almost as if he was making fun of himself for reading off the prompter.
Old 04-06-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4-LOM
It's been a while since I've seen an episode hosted by Walken, but I seem to remember him as always reading the cue cards. Were people this bothered by it before? I didn't find this episode to be as funny as his previous shows so maybe that made it more distracting. I'm just a little surprised by the reaction to the cue card reading this time since it's something he's always done, yet he's always been a fan favourite host.
I was trying to remember if he looked in the past. I never noticed before but it was extremely noticeable last night. A blind man would see it. I'm sure it's a teleprompter and not cue cards. At least Walken could have looked at the other cast members once in a while but he wasn't making any eye contact. I don't know what happened. Did he just arrive on the set 2 days before the show started? Just too distracting and annoying. Not good for a pro.

I've only seen half the show. Terrible, terrible digital short. Were these lame laser cats sketches made for 2 year olds?
Old 04-06-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Walken has always read from the cards that way, and it was always like that.

Originally Posted by HotThang
He even mispronounced "controversy" since he was concentrating on reading in the Greased Lightning skit..
I'm fairly sure that was intentional.
Old 04-06-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop

I'm fairly sure that was intentional.
Ah. I only said that because when I read certain words aloud, I mispronounce them 85% of the time. Photography becomes photo-graphy and stuff like that. If it was intentional...didn't see the humor. LOL
Old 04-06-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was a great show even with the obvious card reading.
Old 04-06-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was the best opening monologue I can remember in a long time. It got extra points for not being a song.

I thought it was ironic they had a Grease skit, because I had just told my husband that the band name Panic at the Disco reminded me of the line from a Grease song "Stranded at the Drive-In".

Last edited by Jadzia; 04-06-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't give the monologue extra points for not being a song if it's an audience Q&A instead.
Old 04-07-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Walken's delivery was so stilted and odd, he is either a comedy genius, or 100% out of his mind.

I liked the Greased Lightning skit. Gene Rayburn!
Old 04-07-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

laser cats, the grease high school play and the walken reunion were gold the suprise party was great too. I thought the plants skit was boring and all the political stuff is overdone. Lets open every show with a political skit, yeah thats it.
Old 04-07-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-LOM
It's been a while since I've seen an episode hosted by Walken, but I seem to remember him as always reading the cue cards. Were people this bothered by it before?
I'm glad you said this. Yes, Walken so obviously reading from the cue cards (or prompter) has been a HUGE part of his SNL appeal (it actually ads to the humor, because he doesn't try to hide it). What he did this past Saturday night is no different from what he did during his other appearances. Just go back and look at some of the clips (from past skits).

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-07-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-07-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought it was pretty solid.

Most of it is because of Walken's delivery and comic timing, which is why he's asked back as many times as he is.
Old 04-07-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I thought it was pretty solid.

Most of it is because of Walken's delivery and comic timing, which is why he's asked back as many times as he is.
100+ times (by his count (including reruns)).

+1 for liking the opening monologue. I was laughing hysterically by the end of it.
Old 04-07-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
They even made light of it during the SNL 25th anniversary special. Walken got up and claimed he likes ad libs and "make 'em ups" and things like that... all the while quite obviously reading it from a cue card.
Old 04-07-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
They even made light of it during the SNL 25th anniversary special. Walken got up and claimed he likes ad libs and "make 'em ups" and things like that... all the while quite obviously reading it from a cue card.
I've long assumed this was a (quite deliberate) part of Walken's success as an sketch comedian. It somehow adds to his whole oddly surrealistic comedic persona when he appears to be staring off into space whenever he's talking to another character.
Old 04-18-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
yeah, walken has always done it (read from the cards). with any other host, it annoys me. but with him, it somehow makes it more hilarious. i have no idea why.

i thought this was the best show of the season (which typically isn't saying much). It seemed like Poehler had a smaller role, so maybe that's why i liked it as well!