Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why dont reality shows come out on dvd

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-04-08, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know why shows like American Idol, DWTS, the apprentice dont come out on dvd? i would think they would sell
Old 04-04-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the utter lack of replay value is evident, which is what makes these forms of entertainment so questionable in my mind.

I would think soaps would be more likely to get the DVD treatment, but that would be a ton of content.
Old 04-04-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
No replay value at all.

CBS/Paramount has already stopped releasing Survivor and The Amazing Race on DVD. Also, Universal only released 1 season of the Apprentice because sales were lackluster......I rented that season and Universal swapped out the "Money Money Money" theme song with some god awful generic music.
Old 04-04-08, 07:37 PM

As others said above it is the replay factor that is the problem. That being said there are a few I might rent/buy just to have but I can't see myself watching them much.

Last Comic Standing (just for the standup sets & the camaraderie between Rich Vos & Dave Mordal)
The Surreal Life
WB Superstar USA
Kid Nation
Brat Camp
Old 04-04-08, 08:10 PM

Also, I would guess that clearing every single piece of music used in a season of AI or DWTS for a DVD release would make a full season set prohibitively expensive.
Old 04-04-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sucks that they stopped releasing Survivor, I love having them on DVD to re-watch.
Old 04-05-08, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to have the Real World Road Rules Challenges on dvd. As for the no replay value: how many people have a ton of dvds that they've watched once and probably won't watch again? I wish more reality shows were being released on dvd or played in sindication, it would give you a chance to see previous seasons of a show that you came into late.
Old 04-05-08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I'd love to have the Real World Road Rules Challenges on dvd. As for the no replay value: how many people have a ton of dvds that they've watched once and probably won't watch again? I wish more reality shows were being released on dvd or played in sindication, it would give you a chance to see previous seasons of a show that you came into late.
I totally agree esp on the RW/RR challenges. I didn't start getting hooked til the 3rd or 4th challenge.
Old 04-05-08, 11:53 AM

Maybe most people are only willing to watch such low-brow entertainment when it's free. God I hope that's the case anyway, I can't imagine people spending money on this trash.
Old 04-05-08, 07:40 PM

I wanna get breaking bonaduce on DVD
Old 04-05-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
No replay value at all.
Why is that? It's no different than watching a favorite movie or TV show over and over. You already know what's going to happen.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 04-05-08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Why is that? It's no different than watching a favorite movie or TV show over and over. You already know what's going to happen.
For many reality shows, that bit of surprise is the only value the entire show holds. I don't want to put all of the shows in the same category because I really do think some of them are far better than others, but it's pretty good evidence that they're just not selling if they can't make The Amazing Race or Survivor work in the format.
Old 04-05-08, 09:51 PM

i bought the apprentice season 1, and i couldnt get enough of it. i had to search all over the downloading sites to find them, its just to bad
Old 04-05-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I can always re-visit a 1 hour drama or 2 hour movie from time to time and always feel entertained. Sometimes there are certain scenes with great acting or compelling dialogue that I can enjoy and happily sit down with another visit and not feel bored.

IMO, there is just nothing compelling about re-visiting Survivor or The Amazing Race especially since you probably already know who won. I would rather spend my hard earned $30-40 on a complete TV season of my favorite show that was actually scripted or 3-4 classic catelogue I don't have. The only exception would be if I have never seen a certain season and don't know who won, which is pretty much near impossible with Office water cooler talk, message boards etc. Then maybe I would rent it on Netflix.
Old 04-05-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there is certainly a market for reality replays, but I'm thinking it's probably going to be streaming Internet on demand type stuff. The costs are just so much lower that way, right?
Old 04-06-08, 12:05 PM

Be honest about these kinds of shows, most really aren't entertaining so much as they just rely on the "car wreck" factor. You'll slow down and take a look as you're driving by, but who turns the car around to look again?
Old 04-06-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have The Mole and Celebrity Mole Hawaii on DVD. I don't watch them often, but I've watched them more than once already. I think some of it is still fun to relive.

I don't consider those, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars a reality show. Those are game shows/competitions. "Reality" shows are like the Hills, Real World, etc. when they just follow people around in my opinion.
Old 04-06-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
There are those who hate the current game show collections that are coming out, and don't understand the replay value of old episodes of Match Game and Family Feud and such. I love the game show releases, so I wouldn't dare say anything negative about somebody who wanted a reality TV show on DVD. Some of them come out in best of moments, but as with other best of TV shows on DVD, you rarely get the moments or episodes you thought were the best. It's all arbitrary based on some producer's choice or perhaps moments chosen from fan polls. So I could understand why somebody would want a season set of a favorite reality TV.

Perhaps as we go forward in the digital age, the TV studios should make these less popular sellers available at kiosks in stores for burn on demand DVDs, with laser printed artwork and glossy cover art printed on the spot. While I understand the little replay value for these shows for many fans, they do have a core audience that wants them so I think it would behoove the studios to come to some kind of way to get the season sets out there for people who want them.
Old 04-06-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would love a release of the only season of USA's Combat Missions.

Would also buy a release of this season's Celebrity Apprentice.
Old 04-06-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because just like game shows (and most of these "reality" shows are really just game shows), these are the most disposable sort of content there is out there - they will make more money by churning out new content than repackaging the old.
Old 04-06-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want Supernanny on DVD!
Go Jo!
Old 04-06-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I rewatch Survivor. The competitions are like rewatching sports (which I also do), and the tribal councils have some golden moments.
Old 04-06-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lacubs
i bought the apprentice season 1, and i couldnt get enough of it. i had to search all over the downloading sites to find them, its just to bad

At my local Walmart, Season 1 of The Apprentice was in a bargain bin. Dozens of copies for only FIVE DOLLARS EACH!

I'd love to get a reaction from The Donald if he ever found out how cheap his show was selling for!

That would be freakin' price...less.
Old 04-06-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMark
Also, I would guess that clearing every single piece of music used in a season of AI or DWTS for a DVD release would make a full season set prohibitively expensive.
I assume so, which is why they only have "Greatest Moments" etc. Will be interesting to see if the full episode from last season will sell at all.
Old 04-06-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I rewatch Survivor. The competitions are like rewatching sports (which I also do), and the tribal councils have some golden moments.
Don't they actually shoot coverage for the competitions involving non-contestants? If my memory on that subject is right, it would make it rather like watching wrestling in my book.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.