DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Heroes Returns; Origins Dies - Volume 3 information (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/528761-heroes-returns%3B-origins-dies-volume-3-information.html)

rfduncan 04-03-08 08:13 AM

Heroes Returns; Origins Dies - Volume 3 information

So I guess NBC is content without spinning off. Still this would have been a great way to maintain audiences during longer breaks.

Heroes Returns; Origins Dies

Heroes will return to NBC on Sept. 15 with an expanded third-season opener, but network executives confirmed that the proposed prequel spinoff, Heroes: Origins, is officially dead.

"We consciously chose to rest [Heroes] this spring so that [creator] Tim Kring and his team could get ahead of the creative and build up to a massive event--a three-hour Heroes night," Ben Silverman, co-chairman of NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios, said during the network's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on April 2. "On Monday, Sept. 15, we'll kick off with a Heroes clip show to try to bring back the audience and [then air] a massive two-hour Heroes film."

Silverman also explained why the heavily hyped, much-anticipated Heroes: Origins was scrapped. The show was originally conceived to help eliminate Heroes repeats, and directors and writers--including feature-film vets Kevin Smith, Eli Roth and Michael Dougherty--were already lined up before NBC dropped the idea.

"We were taxing our creative team to do too much around that," Silverman said. "We wanted 35 Heroes [episodes] and 12 Heroes: Origins, each of which was supposed to be a mini-movie and backdoor pilot. We reached far and challenged our people, and we decided it was better to focus on keeping the Heroes mothership as strong as possible."
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=51591&type=0

DVD Josh 04-03-08 08:19 AM

I think this is the right move. Concentrate on the direction of the main show, it needs help.

JuryDuty 04-03-08 08:36 AM

Sounds fine to me. Now I just wish they could get those feature-film vets to still do some episodes.

Goat3001 04-03-08 09:36 AM

The strike really screwed Heroes last season. It started out painfully slow and then picked up towards the end but the conclusion was rushed due to the strike. I'm hoping with the extra time he has to work on it Kring has come up with a solid story.

My one gripe with the show:
Spoiler:
Now that they figured out that they can use Claire's blood to heal people, there is no drama/shock value when someone dies anymore. So when Nate was killed at the end of last season, I didn't care and there was no shock as we all know that Claire's blood will bring him back.

Michael Corvin 04-03-08 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
My one gripe with the show:
Spoiler:
Now that they figured out that they can use Claire's blood to heal people, there is no drama/shock value when someone dies anymore. So when Nate was killed at the end of last season, I didn't care and there was no shock as we all know that Claire's blood will bring him back.

Well, to be fair, they haven't addressed potential side-effects. I'm sure they will put something in there to shake things up so that everyone doesn't become immortal.

Still sad to see Origins die. It would have been cool to see a mini-comic book movie by various directors every week. I'm betting it isn't buried yet. If Heroes can regain viewership they'll get back to it.

DJariya 04-03-08 01:18 PM

Wasn't the whole Origins concept developed under Kevin Reilly? Since Ben Silverman took over, I am not surprised at all that they decided to kill the whole project.

But, I agree that it's better to focus on creating 25 (I read this is the episode order) solid episodes for season 3.

PhantomStranger 04-03-08 08:01 PM

Translation:

Since the ratings took a dive and the writing quality clearly dipped in season 2 NBC will be pulling back on any spin-offs...for now.

Jimmy James 04-03-08 08:09 PM

I don't think it's a writing quality issue. It's a ratings and possibly a change in leadership issue (though the idea seemed to come about in the period where it's hard to tell if it was something Reilly or the new guy wanted).

I think if the writing were terribly weak but the show got American Idol numbers, we'd have Heroes:Origins, Heroes Babies, Villains, Heroes: Trial By Jury, and Heroes on Spring Break.

MasterofDVD 04-03-08 10:55 PM

I was intrigued by the Origins because of the people who were interested in doing the episodes. I am sad to see it go but I agree that the current show needs all the help it can get. A spin-off is useless if the show that started it all is slowly withering away.

TGM 04-04-08 04:43 AM

I don't care, just give us more:

http://liberalvaluesblog.com/wp-cont...all-bikini.jpg

Nth Power 04-04-08 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Elle's superhero duds for season three... :drool:

Doc Moonlight 04-04-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

I've got the fever and the only cure is more K. Bell!

theedge 04-10-08 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I've got the fever and the only cure is more K. Bell!

Okay, more cowbell coming right up...

DJariya 04-11-08 07:56 PM

Interesting new update.

Kristin Bell wants to return for Volume 3 and her reps are working to get it done.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/...n-bell-to.html

TomOpus 07-28-08 12:30 AM

Not sure where to put this but I was at the Comic-Con panel yesterday. While the entire cast was there to vocally thank us for supporting "Heroes" from the get-go, the producers thanked us by showing the entire season 3 premiere episode. The only spoilers I'll give is that the title of the episode is
Spoiler:
"The Second Coming"
and
Spoiler:
the opening sequence takes place 5 yrs in the future and Claire looks HOT
I'm sure you could find more information out there on the 'net if you want. Let's just say there are twists, surprises and some laughs that will definitely kick the season off to a great start.

Rypro 525 07-28-08 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Spoiler:
Claire looks HOT

Spoiler:
doesn't she always though? (please don't post the Chris Hansen pic!

Michael Corvin 07-28-08 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Spoiler:
the opening sequence takes place 5 yrs in the future and Claire looks HOT
I'm sure you could find more information out there on the 'net if you want. Let's just say there are twists, surprises and some laughs that will definitely kick the season off to a great start.

EW had a shot of her all done up like she was in the X-Men films. Looked pretty good.

So is Kristen Bell back?

Superman07 07-28-08 07:52 AM

Any non-spoiler feedback on this? I felt like the last part of S2 picked up and was more true to S1 form. Does the S3 opener continue this trend? I couldn't put S1 down when I started watching the dvds, but S2 was very largely "meh". There were some excellent concepts and ideas, but so much of it felt like it was wandering (Wonder Twins, Sylar, Parkman, Suresh).

devilshalo 07-28-08 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Any non-spoiler feedback on this? I felt like the last part of S2 picked up and was more true to S1 form. Does the S3 opener continue this trend?

Well, they showed the first episode in its entirety at Comic Con and it sure as hell held my attention. It certainly was an action packed episode, but i really had to try to put the pieces back together in my head about the ending of season 2.

Spoiler:
Swipe if you really really want to know:
Peter comes from the future and is the one that shoots his brother to prevent knowledge of the heroes existing. his brother comes back to life after doctors fail to save him and has decided not to say anything, instead finding strength from a more spiritual source that his powers are for good. Sylar finds Claire (the chase is a nice homage to Halloween) and cuts open her head (Lechter style) and literally pokes around her brain to find the secret of where the powers manifest. Confides that she can't die and now he can't either. Hiro and Ando view a video will from Hiro's father that reveals a chemical code to something secretive, it get's stolen by a new face that is not affected by time. Suresh uses Maya's blood to develop the serum which triggers the powers in everyone, instead of finding a cure. He tests it out on himself.

Mods can feel free to delete if it people get way too tempted despite my double attempt to spoilerize and start to bitch and moan and discuss after reading it.

buzzdalf 07-29-08 10:42 AM

wholy crap!!
I should not have read that, but now I can't wait :)

pridesticks06 07-29-08 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by buzzdalf
wholy crap!!

Haha yeah, I can officially say that I am getting excited for this. If it holds up to the standards they say it will, it could be a good season.

Did they show the full 2 hour premiere at Comic Con or just the first hour?

Shazam 07-29-08 12:23 PM

Whoa, I think more things happen in the premiere than in the entirety of season 2.

devilshalo 07-29-08 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Did they show the full 2 hour premiere at Comic Con or just the first hour?

If it is a 2 hour premiere, they gave us the first hour.

pridesticks06 07-29-08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
If it is a 2 hour premiere, they gave us the first hour.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/n...ans_delays.php

It is. Three hours of Heroes - 1 hour of clips of previous 2 seasons, then a 2 hour premiere. We'll see how that works out...

CKMorpheus 07-29-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by buzzdalf
wholy crap!!

No kidding! If they can keep up those sort of sequences we can expect a great 3rd season!

Count me in! When does it start? How many episodes?