Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Eli Stone, "I Want Your..." 3/27/08

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Eli Stone, "I Want Your..." 3/27/08

I'm liking this show a lot overall, but I thought this episode was the weakest.
No compelling dream storyline really, plus a couple of key characters not in the ep. at all. And his ex-fiancee: They've barely called off the wedding and she hops right into the sack with a co-worker because she thought he had a rough childhood? Ugh.

How many eps. left?
Old 03-28-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SEX. You can say it! Not everybody does it, but everybody should. Sex is natural. Sex is fun. Sex is best when its...

It was odd that there was no "dream", but I'm glad they aren't feeling FORCED to make Eli have one each episode. They can give the acupuncture guy a rest every once in a while! No Patti or Maggie Dekker this week either.

I like how Jordan is a "closet" George Michael fan (I considered that an inside joke since both are gay in real life).

Did they intentionally not resolve the earthquake from last week? I'm thinking that is going to happen down the line...

Of the mid-season replacements, this show is far and away the best one. I hope it gets renewed for next season.

There are four more remaining. Anyone else think they'll run out of George Michael songs if this show stays on the air?

Last edited by rfduncan; 03-28-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 09:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
I'm liking this show a lot overall, but I thought this episode was the weakest.
No compelling dream storyline really, plus a couple of key characters not in the ep. at all. And his ex-fiancee: They've barely called off the wedding and she hops right into the sack with a co-worker because she thought he had a rough childhood? Ugh.
This is the first episode that I haven't "watched". I listened to it while working. I didn't have to see the screen to know what was going on... and it was okay, 'cause I got the gist of it anyways.

I would have watched it, but I had something else to do. Maybe I'll catch it online to see if there was anything that I missed.

Originally Posted by uteotw
How many eps. left?
There are four episodes left.
Old 03-28-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I can take too much more of this show. I've already learned to tune out during the visions, which are incredibly hokey and drag on way too long. But it's so damned preachy about everything too. I get enough of that from David E. Kelley. Even when I agree with their political message (which is most of the time), the presentation is really obnoxious. I'm also having a hard time with the 90210-ish character inconsistency. They do this whole arc about Eli making the most difficult decision of his life, dumping Taylor to spare her the heartache of loving a man with this horrible condition. And then once that's out of the way, it's time to start pairing Eli up with every pretty girl he encounters, because it's not like he'd hurt any of them in the same way. I have a low tolerance for manufactured relationship drama, so I found the story with Taylor and "other guy" clichéd and silly as well.

das
Old 03-28-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Definately a preachy David E. Kelly type of show, but I keep watching. But I am constantly pissed knowing it will be cancelled and I will not have resolution to some basic stuff. And where was the hot lawyer?
Old 03-28-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is Jordon again? Taylor's father?

I don't think it has been cancelled. It's finishing it's 13 week run. Hope ABC renews it because it's one of the few dramas I have any interest in. I like all the characters and the messages. Not too heavy-handed. Maybe one too many musical visions every week though.

I'm catching last night's episode online. Funny when I heard Jonny Lee (Eli) speak. He has a thick British accent. Thought he was just playing with the accent but that is his natural accent. Can't hear it all in his character.
Old 03-28-08, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Definately a preachy David E. Kelly type of show, but I keep watching. But I am constantly pissed knowing it will be cancelled and I will not have resolution to some basic stuff. And where was the hot lawyer?
Last I heard ratings were OK and it hits the key demographics so it will probably be renewed.
Old 03-28-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm loving this show, and I certainly hope it lasts a good long time.

I'm going to find some clip of Miller speaking normally, because I've never heard his true accent and if I had never heard of him before, I'd never have known he wasn't American in the first place, his accent is so good.
Old 03-28-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eli has been ranked 40 in the Nielsens with about 7 million viewers after the first 2 episodes. I don't know if that's very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eli_Stone_episodes

Go to the following link for a brief interview with Jonny for his accent. Click on Interviews with Cast and Criew: http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/elistone/index or check out this interview on the View:

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-28-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from not liking the visions/angst at the start of the season, but now it's a bit more whimsical in reality, and Eli is much more palatable as a lead character, so I'll keep on tuning in until its season is over.
Old 03-29-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing barely keeping me watching are the Berlanti style drama and the acting of JLM. This is too uneven. It's a drama ... no it's a comedy... no it's a legal procedural ... errrr dramedy musical procedural. It's a freakin mess. Much like Brothers & Sisters, its a Berlanti take on Grey's Anatomy. Granted, part of it is my dislike for much of the music chosen and the horrendous High School Musical performances.
Old 03-29-08, 02:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
This is one of our must-see shows. I hope it comes back.

And I just found out from EW that Victor Garber played Jesus in the film version of Godspell!

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 03-29-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how he sounded when he won a Tony but I didn't like Garber's voice on "Don't let the sun..."
Old 03-29-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
For the most part - I'm liking the show, but this ep wasn't good at all.
Old 03-29-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
In my opinion it was the weakest episode so far. The George Michael guest appearance was clumsy. Not only is I Want Your Sex hardly relevant to today's HS student, but I doubt that more than that half of those students would even know who he was. He hasn't had a major US hit since around the time those kids were born.

Also, I really missed Julie Gonzalo in this episode.
Old 03-30-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'm also having a hard time with the 90210-ish character inconsistency. They do this whole arc about Eli making the most difficult decision of his life, dumping Taylor to spare her the heartache of loving a man with this horrible condition. And then once that's out of the way, it's time to start pairing Eli up with every pretty girl he encounters, because it's not like he'd hurt any of them in the same way.
Yeah, I don't get this either. Nor do I get Patti's extreme discontent for Taylor. Nor do I understand the appeal of Maggie...especially over Taylor.
Old 03-30-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yeah, I don't get this either. Nor do I get Patti's extreme discontent for Taylor. Nor do I understand the appeal of Maggie...especially over Taylor.
As far as Patti, she felt Taylor somehow changed Eli as soon as they were an a couple. From what I gathered, Eli was the successful cutthroat lawyer before the aneurism so that is the only thing I see that changed his behavior.
Old 03-31-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
The only thing barely keeping me watching are the Berlanti style drama and the acting of JLM. This is too uneven. It's a drama ... no it's a comedy... no it's a legal procedural ... errrr dramedy musical procedural. It's a freakin mess.
Or in other words, a modern day Ally McBeal with a bit less of the ludricrous comedy that it contained.

I, for one, enjoy the show exactly for the reasons you seem to hate it. My question is, regardless of the fact that it is one of the only shows running new episodes, why are you still watching it? Those two reason hardly seem to "barely" make your viewing make sense.
Old 03-31-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Those two reason hardly seem to "barely" make your viewing make sense.
Once in awhile the show comes together and gives me the show I hoped it would be. I enjoy Berlanti's spin on drama, but just not the rest.

That being said, the show is definitely on the cusp of personal cancellation.
Old 04-01-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've at least liked every episode I've seen and I do hope it gets kept for next season.

I missed Maggie this week too.
Old 04-01-08, 12:51 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I dig this show. It deserves more episodes (pair it with Pushing Daisies).

The show can get a tad preachy, but at least there is a good message behind it (I like this episode in particular. Only because the song makes a good point).

As for the Taylor/Maggie argument, both of them can fight over me any time.
Old 04-01-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good idea. Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies would work on the schedule right next to one another. I like both shows.
Old 04-01-08, 06:47 PM

On a small technical level, the opening credit has the deepest, baddest bass I've ever heard on a television show. The whole living room vibrates because of that rising bass note in the music of that credit. Gives it a larger than life feel that works as a nice setup for the quirkiness of the series.
Old 04-01-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want bass in a TV show, watch "Numb3rs" as its bumper music totally shakes my living room, and I fear for the drywall.
Old 04-02-08, 05:49 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
I like this show too, despite it's preachy nature (which turned me off of Boston Legal). I'm actually surprised it's not a David E. Kelly show, because it really seems like one.

The only part I don't like are the stupid music numbers. They seem so out of place. Whenever they start up, I'm reminded of the hilarious dancing scene in Kevin Kline's "In & Out". I guess it's because he always tries to resist the music, and by the end he's a dancing fool. And I start thinking, maybe Eli's visions are really telling him that he's gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.