Reload this Page >

South Park -- "Major Boobage" -- 3/26/2008

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park -- "Major Boobage" -- 3/26/2008

Old 03-27-08, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
That leaves references to two old movies (Heavy Metal and Schindler's List) and to atrocities that happened decades ago.
I've yet to understand the complaints against South Park when they make reference to something older than 3 weeks ago. Have they spoiled you so badly with their ability to make a timely episode in one week's time that you cannot handle a joke referencing something from the past?
Old 03-27-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I've yet to understand the complaints against South Park when they make reference to something older than 3 weeks ago. Have they spoiled you so badly with their ability to make a timely episode in one week's time that you cannot handle a joke referencing something from the past?
When they really bring it, I don't care what they are talking about. It all sparkles with me.

When they're not doing their best, they could at least be topical.
Old 03-27-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definately better than last week's episode. I'm also a fan of Heavy Metal, and was rolling at those parts - especially Kenny flying on the bird with the tits bouncing on his head... and Gerald cheesing was hilarious. "Hi everyone! Good to be back"
Old 03-27-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
actually im pretty sure the drug thing had to do with the article a couple of months ago about teens in i believe florida fermenting shit and getting high off of it. kyles dad even mentions the way of getting high at the end of the episode in his speech

Edit: Ironically i just found the article on another site

http://www.quazen.com/Recreation/Dru...ste-High.57504

Last edited by beavis69; 03-27-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care if it happened two weeks ago...it's just the same idiotic teens finding something to kill brain cells that we've been dealing with forever.
Old 03-27-08, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Awful. Not a single chuckle. And basing an episode on references to an obscure movie that I'd wager no more than 10% of the audience has even heard of, and maybe a third of that group has seen? Toothless.
I had never seen Heavy Metal before, but had always been curious about watching it. I made sure to watch it before this SP episode (netflix instant viewing) and it made it worth it.
Old 03-27-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Holy Crap this episode was great! I'm still rolling! Much much better than the last two.
Old 03-27-08, 08:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Loved this episode especially the Heavy Metal portions as it's one of my favorite movies. I really loved how they parodied the movie to include as much cartoon boobage as possible which isn't that far off from the movie itself. Time to give it another viewing!
Old 03-27-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm in the minority because I thought this was one of the better episodes in a long while. I laughed all the way through and absolutely loved the Heavy Metal scenes.
Old 03-28-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much better than the last two episodes, but still not up to previous eps.

Great animation though.
Old 03-28-08, 01:57 AM

Classic episode
Old 03-28-08, 06:27 AM
Banned

And cheesing is also a reference to "cheese", a new heroin/tylenol (?) mix that looks cheese-ish in appearance, and younger teens/pre-teens are using it (at least in Texas). Kids are dying from this shit.

South Park not topical?!? It was definitely topical.
Old 03-28-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KYDR_chris
And cheesing is also a reference to "cheese", a new heroin/tylenol (?) mix that looks cheese-ish in appearance, and younger teens/pre-teens are using it (at least in Texas). Kids are dying from this shit.

South Park not topical?!? It was definitely topical.
New? CNN was on that in June of 2007.
Old 03-28-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't watch CNN. "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you."
Old 03-28-08, 07:27 AM
Suspended

You're one of those types who if your Mom sends you a joke email you've already read, instead of just being polite you simply respond "Old."

This latching onto "the show better be topical, as in the last 3 weeks topical" obsession of yours is ruining your enjoyment of the show.
Old 03-28-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Caught up with this last night. Phenomenal episode. Easily the best of the new season so far.
Old 03-28-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was absolutely rotf during the Heavy Metal sequences.
Old 03-28-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does every episode of South Park have to be topical? It wasn't always like that. I hate topical episodes. I'd rather have original stories than episodes quickly thrown together lampooning last weeks top news story that I don't care about anyway.
Old 03-28-08, 10:21 AM

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. I was not too impressed with the last two, but this one I can see enjoying over and over.
Old 03-28-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As this thread is for an ep now two full days old, it is clearly no longer topical.
Old 03-28-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I definitely enjoyed it. I didn't catch the first 2 episodes of the season to compare it to. However I have been catching up online and the Imaginationland episodes of last season were fantastic.
Old 03-28-08, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I do agree that topical episodes are probably not the best route (for me). The Aids episode was great, this one was great. Britney watch, although I did enjoy it. People 10 years from now may have no idea who britney is, and won't get the full effect
Old 03-28-08, 04:11 PM
Banned

Just last year is still very new, in the drug trade. New neighborhoods are being invaded by this "cheese" every day; it hasn't permeated all the territory it'll ever get, like crack, weed, or heroin. Not that weed's a big deal, LOL.

I'm starting to tire of South Park, but this episode was the first one that made me chuckle in quite some time. The "Heavy Metal" bits were EXCELLENT. Of course, I saw the original HM in theaters (not that godawful "Heavy Metal 2000"). And I hear David Fincher wants to create a new HM movie.
Old 03-28-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I definitely enjoyed it. I didn't catch the first 2 episodes of the season to compare it to. However I have been catching up online and the Imaginationland episodes of last season were fantastic.
Imaginationland was great, and not topical in any way. SP works when they take a good idea, topical or not, and run with it.
Old 03-28-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
You're one of those types who if your Mom sends you a joke email you've already read, instead of just being polite you simply respond "Old."
Actually, no. I ignore them.

This latching onto "the show better be topical, as in the last 3 weeks topical" obsession of yours is ruining your enjoyment of the show.
Actually, I'll help identify my problem this week. Last week's Britney episode dealt with issues that are a few months old but happened after the last batch of episodes in the fall. Everybody and their mother seemed to be dogging it for not being topical.

Compared to that episode, I don't see how this one is possibly topical. I also didn't find a bit of the non-topical stuff (which I submit composes the much more substantial part of the episode) funny. I'm not a Heavy Metal fan. I haven't seen it. I have a passing familiarity with what it is about, and it has never appealed to me.

What I haven't been saying explicitly is that I thought the episode sucked. Some other episodes that have otherwise sucked have at least had the topical thing going for them. It irritates me that this isn't the case, just as it was with the first episode of the season. I found both that episode and this one almost painfully unfunny, so I have been harping on the topical thing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.