DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   'Jericho' Dropped by CBS (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/528001-jericho-dropped-cbs.html)

Ayre 03-24-08 07:06 AM

'Jericho' Dropped by CBS

WENN is reporting:

'Jericho' Dropped by CBS
TV drama Jericho has been axed by network CBS over its dwindling audience. The series - a portrayal of America post-nuclear attacks - has attracted a small, devoted group of fans, who begged CBS bosses to green light a second series last year after unimpressive viewing figures. Part of their plea involved sending 40,000 pounds of peanuts - a reference to a line of dialogue uttered by the show's actor Skeet Ulrich - to the broadcaster. CBS responded by commissioning seven more episodes - but audience numbers have continued to plummet, forcing the network to make Tuesday's show the last. Spokeswoman Nina Tassler says, "Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program. We simply wish there were more. We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try."

EDIT: Sorry missed the post in the weekly Jericho thread.

nemein 03-24-08 08:42 AM

Are they atleast going to give it a good ending or just leave things up in the air?

Pointyskull 03-24-08 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Are they atleast going to give it a good ending or just leave things up in the air?

Two endings were shot for the 03/24 season finale - one a cliffhanger, one not. Had the show been picked up, the cliffhanger would have been used.

With this news, I'm assuming the non-cliffhanger ending will be used. Or at least I hope so.

Jericho 03-24-08 08:46 AM

Supposedly they filmed two endings to this season, one to kind of wrap things up the other more cliffhanger style. So they should have some closure, although how satisfying remains to be seen.

DJariya 03-24-08 09:03 AM

The story that came out on Friday said the Non-Cliffhanger ending will be used, however it said the ending doesn't definitively close the door on the series. But, considering the expense of the show, it's doubtful than any other broadcast network let alone a cable channel could afford the show.

CPA-ESQ. 03-24-08 09:03 AM

Even though I stoped watching this mid season 1 -- I will tune into the last episode if they air the episode that wraps everything up.

I hope they don't air the cliff hanger - in hopes that sci-fi network picks this up

aktick 03-24-08 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jericho
Supposedly they filmed two endings to this season, one to kind of wrap things up the other more cliffhanger style. So they should have some closure, although how satisfying remains to be seen.

Probably will be a lot of voice over info to wrap things up and explain.

DJariya 03-24-08 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Even though I stoped watching this mid season 1 -- I will tune into the last episode if they air the episode that wraps everything up.

I hope they don't air the cliff hanger - in hopes that sci-fi network picks this up

You stopped watching midseason last year? Why bother watching the series finale? The show is extremely serialized and none of it will make any sense to you. There is so much plot from the last 6 episodes and even some from last season that leads up to this final episode. This would be like watching the pilot of 24 and then all of the sudden watching episode 16 of season 6.

DVD Josh 03-24-08 09:41 AM

BTW - the "non-cliffhanger" ending supposedly consists of a narrative epilogue.

harpoonipa 03-24-08 09:57 AM

Blows but I knew it was coming.

Patman 03-24-08 09:57 AM

And at least CBS is advertising tomorrow night's episode was "The Series Finale".

Deftones 03-24-08 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
And at least CBS is advertising tomorrow night's episode was "The Series Finale".

Is that a joke? They weren't in the promo after last week's episode.

Patman 03-24-08 10:33 AM

During the NCAA basketball games and Sunday night shows, the promos were stating tomorrow night's episode being the Series Finale.

DJariya 03-24-08 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Is that a joke? They weren't in the promo after last week's episode.

It was advertised as Season Finale after last Tuesday's episode because the decision hadn't been made yet. The decision to can it was made Friday.

Red Dog 03-24-08 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
BTW - the "non-cliffhanger" ending supposedly consists of a narrative epilogue.

"The next day, there was complete nuclear annihilation of the entire world. The End." ;)

aintnosin 03-24-08 02:11 PM

Spoiler:
I heard that Jake finds Bobby Ewing in his shower and it was all a dream.

Gizmo 03-24-08 02:15 PM

Hopefully this gives Moonlight to go for a second season. Love Jericho, but ratings were low.

Rockmjd23 03-24-08 03:42 PM

I hope it ends with everyone having a town barbecue!

Patman 03-24-08 03:52 PM

They need to be roasting some nuts at the BBQ.

Scorpio 03-25-08 02:49 AM

Well, I'm glad at least that things will be tied up a bit. I guess I can't really be angry with CBS, but I did realize what the problem is. I can thank my simpleton Americans for the cancellation of this show. When 37 million tune in to watch B- grade celebrities in a dancing competition, and yet smartly written shows are left out to dry, there really is only one group to blame. May you choke on Dancing with Survivor's Big Brother America, and all the other TV junk food offered up on your plates.

Tracer Bullet 03-25-08 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpio
Well, I'm glad at least that things will be tied up a bit. I guess I can't really be angry with CBS, but I did realize what the problem is. I can thank my simpleton Americans for the cancellation of this show. When 37 million tune in to watch B- grade celebrities in a dancing competition, and yet smartly written shows are left out to dry, there really is only one group to blame. May you choke on Dancing with Survivor's Big Brother America, and all the other TV junk food offered up on your plates.

What smartly written show are you talking about? All I see is talk about Jericho.

johnglass 03-25-08 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What smartly written show are you talking about? All I see is talk about Jericho.

Yeah, really. While I enjoyed Jericho, "smartly written" is not the phrase I would use to describe it.

Red Dog 03-25-08 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

I :lol: when I read that too.