DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
John Adams - Part 3 "Don't Tread On Me" 3/23/08

aka "Let's Go To France!!!!"

Rated TV14: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE, ADULT CONTENT

Running Time: 68 minutes

Genre: History, Drama

Spoiler:
1777. A new period of separation from Abigail looms when Adams is appointed Minister Plenipotentiary to France along with Benjamin Franklin. Abigail insists that Adams take along their son, John Quincy. The two endure a rough ocean voyage-and a skirmish with a British warship-in making their way to France. There, the difference in styles between Adams and the relaxed, epicurean Franklin become apparent. As Abigail, back home, fetes a French Admiral in her husband's stead, Adams endures a series of uncomfortable encounters in Paris, and his strident demands that France increase their naval commitment to America's war effort draws the wrath of Franklin, whose credo is that a good diplomat can accomplish much by appearing to accomplish little. Vexed after learning Franklin has been appointed sole minister to France, Adams heads to Holland to solicit funds, with little success. After sending John Quincy to Russia to work as secretary to the American minister there, Adams falls victim to a long illness and fever, helpless to further advance the revolution he helped spawn. (TV14) (AC,GV)

I really dug the second episode (the first was a little slow for me). Looking forward to more Tom Wilkenson tonight.
Old 03-23-08, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what to say about the third episode except that I found it incredibly dull. It took me a bit to warm to the first episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed the second, but I didn't care for this one. I hope the next one is an improvement.
Old 03-24-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
I wasn't too impressed with this episode either. It was necessary story though. Lets hope that next week turns it up a bit.
Old 03-24-08, 08:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
yes, we need more John Adams vs Robot Ninja Assassin action!
Old 03-24-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit. It was instructive to see Adams' style completely fail in Europe. I could do with less of the home front, though. I get that life is supposed to be hard for Abigail Adams- we don't need to see it all the time.
Old 03-24-08, 08:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
^ Same here -- I too enjoyed last night's episode.
Old 03-24-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in the camp of "Dull episode"

I didn't quite understand what was going on - scenes draged on with no real outcome -

and now the war is over - which I wish they would have spent more time on

I still like this show - but hope the next episode is a bit more exciting.
Old 03-24-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did enjoy last night's episode, but it paled in comparison to "Independence" (as it most assuredly would have to). It seems as if all of Playtone's miniseries fallow the same trajectory. 1 - Slow build intro episode where we are introduced to the main characters and get a feel for who they are. 2 - Balls out second episode that just explodes off the screen and starts everything moving forward... arguably the best of the series (Band of Brothers) 3 - much more of a slow-down, pacing the series before the build toward the end... the "darkest hour" so to speak? Whatever the case, I find myself watching the "Blithe" episode the least on BoB, and I'm pretty sure I'll watch "Don't Tread on Me" the least of John Adams.

Some things I really enjoyed - Naval Combat (I'm a sucker). Seeing the French when they truly were incredibly annoying, effite, and... I'm searching for a word that encompasses an unsurpassed level of pomposity and pretentiousness, but all I'm coming up with is "dandy." (And I'm very positive on the French normally, lest I be accused of Frog-hating)

I loved how Franklin just totally had the pulse of the country and its society and philosophy and knew that they valued civility to such a ridiculous level, that only through a "courtship" so to speak, would their aid eventually be granted. Adams, rightfully so, found this practice to be time-wasting and absurd, and at the expense of American lives. Franklin, while no doubt realizing this, was also so profoundly practical, pragmatic and so knowledgable of French politics, that he knew this was the only way to go about it.

I'm surprised they are done with the revolution in just three episodes (and it makes me look even more forward to 1776), and it appears that we will most likely start to see the notorious Adams/Jefferson political rivalry/friendship start to expand next episode. I look forward to it.

Some random observations:

Powdered wigs are one thing, but makeup on men is another entirely.

LOVED Adams line about what he and his children must study to ensure that future generations have the freedom to study art and culture.

John Quincy was a douchebag even as a kid.

Franklin in the tub with his sloot playing chess = awesome

Abigail needs to stop whining. Like NOW. Man's trying to build a country for chrissake.

Good lord have the Dutch come a long, LONG way.

Still loving this series.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 03-24-08 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
But the miniseries' best move in demythologizing the founding of America is John Adams himself. Giamatti makes him an intelligent but pugilistic workaday politician--in another time, you could imagine this Adams leading a union or representing some blue-collar neighborhood in Congress. He is brilliant and savvy about his career, but also ever-conscious of the difference between him and the aristocrats in his own country and in others. When he visits France as an envoy, he stands out among Paris' refined, cynical libertines as the earnest, provincial American. He doesn't speak a word of French (and is laughed at for it); he refuses to take a French mistress as Franklin recommends ("Do not underestimate the educational opportunities of the boudoir"); and when he goes to ask the King for aid in the Revolution, he can't--or won't--understand the French preference for subtle diplomacy over brass-tacks straight talk. Few actors do discomfort as well as Giamatti, and standing before the effete court of Versailles, you can practically feel Adams chafing in his suit. Yet he has his own bombastic, grandstanding tendencies, kept in check by his wife Abigail (Laura Linney, making the most of an underwritten role).
http://www.time-blog.com/tuned_in/20...g_fighter.html

nice summary
Old 03-25-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
The French were pretty loopy back then.

at selling them the flags.
Old 03-25-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"back then"??

Yes, it wasn't as exciting as the first two parts, but I enjoyed the entire episode.
Old 03-25-08, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chew
"back then"??

Yes, it wasn't as exciting as the first two parts, but I enjoyed the entire episode.
I think Red Dog meant to say "EVEN back then".

Agree with Tracer that the 'back home' segments do get a little repetitive, but it seems that they want to keep Abigail in the mix each episode, and it's not like she was out running for political office. At least they're keeping it real, even if it does make the pace drag.

Put me in the camp with those who liked seeing the depiction of Adams' attempts at diplomacy falling flat, although it is easy to see his viewpoint. Still, a good object lesson in learning the culture with which you're dealing. Whoever wrote the article about Giametti being a master of looking uncomfortable was right on the mark. At times we can almost see the steam rolling out from under his wig.

The scenes aboard the ship should be enough to satisfy those who require more action. Somehow, I never before pictured John Adams firing his musket at British sailors during a sea battle. Now, if only we could have seen Franklin
zapping them with an early version of an electricity-based weapon and first hear the immortal words,

"Don't taze me, Sir!"
Old 03-25-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I don't bash the current-day French anymore. It got to be too popular with the masses.
Old 03-25-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't bash the current-day French anymore. It got to be too popular with the masses.

Plus it got a lot harder to do when they turned out to be right about Iraq and we were over here renaming appetizers.

-Doc
Old 03-29-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Plus it got a lot harder to do when they turned out to be right about Iraq and we were over here renaming appetizers.

-Doc
"Seconded!"
Old 03-30-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed this episode.

I visited Versailles on a trip to France when I was 16, and I had a big rush watching all those scenes and remembering things I had seen so long ago. It definitely gives me a new appreciation for what I saw then. If I ever go back, I will appreciate it more.
Old 03-30-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I loved this episode! The ship scene was great, the legg cutting off scene had me shivering and the French have me hating them more then I already do!
Old 03-31-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I actually had to turn my head during the leg cutting scene. And the guy dies anyway! Imagine your last few minutes on Earth are spent getting your leg hacked off to save your life, and then you don't even live.