Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Recently Started Watching 6 Feet Under- Should I stop?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-17-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I recently started 6 Feet Under. We completely enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, but are struggling with season 3 (About 3 episodes in).

The following things are bothering me:

I am hating Nate with Lisa, he's so dull. It's like someone chopped off his balls.

David and Keith's storyline sucks. David has become this whiny, annoying character. He was very interesting in the first two seasons.

The mom (Ruth), is boring now that she's off The Plan.

Only Rico and Claire are holding my interst at this point.

Its like someone kidnapped the writers from the first two seasons and beat them up. Does this show bounce back? Or are the episodes going to continue to bore the living crap out of us? I feel like I'm watching them now just to see if something good will happen, rather than watching them because I'm enjoying the progression of the characters.

Should I give up? Or does it get better again?
Old 03-17-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Honestly, season 3 doesn't get much better, though it picks up a little when Brenda finally shows up after 2/3 of the season. Season 4 is even more of a self-indulgent slog and I almost quit watching it. Nate gets more mopey and David is put throgh an unbearable storyline. Things get redeemed in season 5 though. Stories are wrapped up satisfyingly and the show ends with one of the greatest finales ever.

So should you stop now? I can't answer that for you, but it does get worse before it gets better.
Old 03-17-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the series as a whole constantly gets high marks in reviews, but I completely agree with Decker: really bored with Seasons 3-4 and 5 starts the upswing, it ends with a great finale.

I lost all interest in every character during the third season and even if the stories were interesting, I just didn't care.
Old 03-17-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's one jackass on this board who's convinced the third season is a masterpiece.

das
Old 03-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
There's one jackass on this board who's convinced the third season is a masterpiece.

das

I'm three episodes in and I can tell you I know this isn't true.
Old 03-17-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That jackass so rarely knows what he's talking about when it comes to television though.

I kid! I kid!
Old 03-17-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Honestly, season 3 doesn't get much better, though it picks up a little when Brenda finally shows up after 2/3 of the season. Season 4 is even more of a self-indulgent slog and I almost quit watching it. Nate gets more mopey and David is put throgh an unbearable storyline. Things get redeemed in season 5 though. Stories are wrapped up satisfyingly and the show ends with one of the greatest finales ever.
I think Claire sums up S3 and most of S4 when she says something to the effect of "Why do our lives suck so much?!"

Just imagine those of us who had to WAIT a week to slog through each episode of those seasons! God, Lisa was just a huge suckfest for that show. Make it to the final season by hook or by crook because it is WELL WORTH IT!
Old 03-17-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I thought the slog of seasons 3 & 4 were far better in hindsite.
Old 03-17-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
OK, 2 out of 5 seasons of this show suck. That's 40%. So then why is it revered so much?
Old 03-17-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
OK, 2 out of 5 seasons of this show suck. That's 40%. So then why is it revered so much?
The entirety of those seasons don't suck. The LISA stuff sucks. And until you've finished S5 you will never know the true answer for yourself (certainly not going to spoilerize the finale for you!).

But if you don't care more than enough to simply post in this thread then I'm expecting you've got better things to do than worry about it anyway.
Old 03-17-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
The entirety of those seasons don't suck. The LISA stuff sucks. And until you've finished S5 you will never know the true answer for yourself (certainly not going to spoilerize the finale for you!).

But if you don't care more than enough to simply post in this thread then I'm expecting you've got better things to do than worry about it anyway.
yes, please don't spoil it for me. i was asking more of a general question. to me, it seems the "tone" of this series has changed in season 3 (for the worse). after reading the posts thus far i will keep plugging away. it sounds like it will payoff in the end.
Old 03-17-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
WTF??
Old 03-17-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
WTF??
My sentiments exactly after reading your original post which neither responded to nor elaborate on the original question but rather seemed more intended to be a mild threadcrap.
Old 03-17-08, 12:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I FF'd all the bits with Lisa, I hated her so much.
Old 03-17-08, 12:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Id you don't like Lisa, keep watching. You might be pleasantly surprised towards the end of the season
Old 03-17-08, 01:10 PM
Banned

Lisa was my favorite part of the show. But defiinitely don't stop watching cause things will end up changing dramatically in the end of season 3 start of season 4.
And season 5 is very good and includes the best finale ever.
Old 03-17-08, 01:14 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Lisa was my favorite part of the show.

But anyway, season 5 redeems seasons 3 and 4.
Old 03-17-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lisa was my favorite part of the show. But defiinitely don't stop watching cause things will end up changing dramatically in the end of season 3 start of season 4.
And season 5 is very good and includes the best finale ever.
Wow. Are you the said jackass?
Old 03-17-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lisa was my favorite part of the show.
I'm going to keep watching, but I find this hard to believe. I want to drop kick her into next week everytime she's on screen.
Old 03-17-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by huh?
I'm going to keep watching, but I find this hard to believe. I want to drop kick her into next week everytime she's on screen.
Agreed. The character is simply a complete manipulative bitch.
Old 03-17-08, 01:49 PM
Banned

Why all the hate for Lisa?
She was certainly more pleasant and nice than Brenda. At least she wasn't as f'ed up or as whorish as that chick....PLus Lili Taylor was great in the role...
Old 03-17-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brenda was infinitely more eff'ed in the head and a whore, but that also made her character so much more entertaining. Lisa was a boring ass drip who seemed to do nothing but bitch and moan all the time.
Old 03-17-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why all the hate for Lisa?
She was certainly more pleasant and nice than Brenda. At least she wasn't as f'ed up or as whorish as that chick....PLus Lili Taylor was great in the role...
Spoiler:
Lisa slept with Nate during his final visit to Seattle intending to get pregnant to hold onto him. We later learn that she was having a longtime affair with her brother-in-law who may or may not have been Maya's genetic father. She manipulated Nate at every turn, always making him feel like the bad guy to the point that he was haunted by her disappearance for more than a year after her death...

Yeah, she was a real peach.
Old 03-17-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
I, for one, really appreciated your reviews of the series. And I agree with your assessment of the third season.

I felt that most of the things that happened that season were very grounded in reality. They showed a very realistic approach to how rocky a marriage can be in the early stages and how dealing with life with a new baby can put a strain in a marriage.

I also thought the end of that season was pretty phenomenal in the way it tied everything together.
Old 03-17-08, 02:41 PM

My problem, starting with season 3, is that the show went from being about the lives of people that lived and worked in a funeral home, to a show about some people that just happened to work in a funeral home. I found the business aspects interesting, and enjoyed how the death at the beginning would be the focus of an episode. In season 3 I feel it just became a soap opera where the funeral home was an afterthought. Sometimes the opening death didn't even play a role in the episode.

While the last episode was amazing, it still isn't enough for me to say I enjoyed season 5 much more than season 3-4. The David storyline was really frustrating to watch, in particular the
Spoiler:
carjacking
episode. If you're not enjoying it now I wouldn't force yourself to watch 30+ hours of television just to get to the finale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.