Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire - "-30-" - 03/09/08 (SERIES FINALE)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire - "-30-" - 03/09/08 (SERIES FINALE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the theme songs I'd rank 'em

Old 03-12-08, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Went back and watched it again and it definitely looked like Marlo was running that corner.
No it wasn't him. I just watched it 3 times. The only guy who looks like Marlo is the 3rd guy we see when the camera pans from right to left. There's this guy walking, guy talking to some dude in a car and then the fake Marlo.

It's not Marlo.
Old 03-15-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkessenz
Does anyone else think the best series is two? For some reason the dock workers really got to me...
It was definitely a quality season, and would have been the best season of a lot of tv shows, but for this show, it was arguably the least interesting season for me.
Old 03-15-08, 03:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't call it the best season, but I do think it's highly underrated, especially on these boards. I was surprised when someone asked if they should watch the full run of The Wire before the new season started, there were people who actually suggested that they should skip S2.
Old 03-15-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Actually it only has 2 or 3. It's called "All the Pieces Matter" or something like that.

I found them all on L*m*W*r*.

The title of the song is "Way Down In A Hole" and the versions were done by:
S-1. The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama (on the sdtrk)
S-2. Tom Waits
S-3. The Neville Brothers (on the sdtrk)
S-4. Domaje (on the sdtrk)
S-5. Steve Earle

I loved that the final montage used the Blind Boys' version. Nice callback to the beginning in keeping with the whole circle of life, the more things change etc. theme.
Tom Waits' original is also on the soundtrack.
Old 03-16-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My ranking would be:

Old 03-19-08, 09:55 PM

great finale
Old 03-24-08, 10:24 PM

I guess I could rank them:
Old 03-26-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Earle was on The Tonight Show last night singing the theme song.
Old 03-26-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-26-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Steve Earle was on The Tonight Show last night singing the theme song.
Watched it a couple of times.
Old 04-24-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
Did McNulty quit? I kinda assumed he was willing to ride it out "on the boat" or wherever, much like Lester once did. Of course that was back when he thought Marlo would go down. Once he didn't that could change things.

I do realize he said he was former police when he went to Richmond. That could be taken literally or figuratively. But at the wake, it seemed Lester was really leaving, but McNulty was only symbolically leaving. I don't know, I could go either way on it I suppose.
I thought it was pretty obvious that McNulty quit- someone made a comment at the wake akin to "only 13 years in- not even leaving with a pension".

I just watched the whole series over the past few weeks. Just an amazing show.
Old 04-25-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just introduced this show to two of my friends the other week and we're blazing through it. We're already in the middle of season 2 and D'angelo just got killed. Blew my friends minds. Great great show. Anyone have a video link to Steve Earle on the Tonight Show?
Old 04-25-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Argh, the full show he performed on was on hulu.com, but no longer.
Old 06-03-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching all 5 seasons back to back over the last two weeks. It was a great ride. so many jaw-dropping moments like d'angelo's, stringer's & bodie's death.
i think my favorite character through all five seasons was bodie.
the ending did feel a little like the six feet under finale with the flash-forwards.
a question: were all those flash forwards of everyone's future just mcnulty's imagination, since it all flashed back to him standing outside his car?
Old 06-03-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I think they were just showing us that life goes on as normal and nothing that we've seen over the past 5 years changed anything. So I think it was everyone's future and not just his imagination.
Old 06-03-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by peon73
Just finished watching all 5 seasons back to back over the last two weeks. It was a great ride. so many jaw-dropping moments like d'angelo's, stringer's & bodie's death.
the ending did feel a little like the six feet under finale with the flash-forwards.
a question: were all those flash forwards of everyone's future just mcnulty's imagination, since it all flashed back to him standing outside his car?
There were quite a few jaw-dropping moments indeed. Another one for me was when Chris beat Bug's dad to death in season 4. I think the look on my face when I saw it almost exactly matched the look on Snoop's face while she watched.
Old 06-04-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peon73
Not reading anything in this thread, or much in this post, but just started doing this myself and just got through season 1 and have 2 on tap starting tonight. Wow, did I miss out not watching this as it was on, but at least I have 4 more season of Wire goodness left to go.
Old 06-04-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Not reading anything in this thread, or much in this post, but just started doing this myself and just got through season 1 and have 2 on tap starting tonight. Wow, did I miss out not watching this as it was on, but at least I have 4 more season of Wire goodness left to go.
You are very fortunate to be able to watch them back 2 back 2 back.. You're lucky you don't have to wait week to week to watch it.. Show is like crack. I watched seasons 1-4 like that but then had to wait each week for season 5..
Old 06-04-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Did McNulty quit? I kinda assumed he was willing to ride it out "on the boat" or wherever, much like Lester once did. Of course that was back when he thought Marlo would go down. Once he didn't that could change things.

I do realize he said he was former police when he went to Richmond. That could be taken literally or figuratively. But at the wake, it seemed Lester was really leaving, but McNulty was only symbolically leaving. I don't know, I could go either way on it I suppose.
They weren't fired but forced/allowed to resign. They couldn't fire them without making a stink for the mayor. Since they were allowed to resign Lester was able to collect his pension since he had put in enough time. McNutty hadn't so he got nothing. I think early on in their scheme McNutty & Lester thought the worse that would happen is that they would end up on the boat or in the evidence room. That all changed once the snowball got bigger.
Old 06-27-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished the last episode of season 4 and I don't think my wife and I have ever been more distraught over a character dying then when Body got shot. Anyways, can't wait for season 5 to be release eventhough Im going to be depressed as shit that its over.
Old 06-27-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Just finished the last episode of season 4 and I don't think my wife and I have ever been more distraught over a character dying then when Body got shot. Anyways, can't wait for season 5 to be release eventhough Im going to be depressed as shit that its over.

I can't remember the reviewer who said this, but I love what this says about the show. "You know you are watching a fantastic show when, in response to your wife asking why you look sad, you say, 'They killed my favorite drug dealer'."

-Doc
Old 06-27-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I can't remember the reviewer who said this, but I love what this says about the show. "You know you are watching a fantastic show when, in response to your wife asking why you look sad, you say, 'They killed my favorite drug dealer'."

-Doc
sums it up perfectly...
Old 08-25-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just finished the DVD and what a satisfying ending, moreso for me than Deadwood or Sopranos. I've lived in Maryland all my life and there are so many touches that make this show so chillingly real. The anti-MLB diatribe to Scott on opening day, Idris Elba's pitch perfect accent, Bunny taking the kids to the inner harbor, Carcetti courting PG County, the hierarchy with the Post, Sun, and Carroll County Times. McNulty pulling off 95 before the Russell Street exit surpasses
Spoiler:
Picard sitting in on the poker game
in the ST:TNG finale as the most emotional ending for me, because the show is about Baltimore more than the police and the drugs, and where he pulls over is right when the Baltimore skyline comes into view with the stadium and smokestacks.

My top three scenes of the series.
1) Fuck in season 1
2) The Quantico serial killer profile in season 5
3) The Walk the Line montage in season 2
Old 08-25-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
I just finished the DVD and what a satisfying ending, moreso for me than Deadwood or Sopranos.
to be fair, the writers of Deadwood had no idea that the third season was going to be the show's last one.

I agree w/ you on the finale for The Wire though - VERY satisfying in my opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.