Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol 3/4-3/6 Top 16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 3/4-3/6 Top 16

Old 03-07-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What will be interesting, though, is when contestants are getting booted off, in whose direction do their fanbase's votes go towards. I would think as more girls leave in the first 4 weeks of the top 12, I would think Brooke and Carly will get those votes, moreso than the guys (David C., Michael, and Jason), which could push them past the guys in the late rounds for a second place finish against Archuleta.
Old 03-07-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like girl hotness doesn't guarantee a pass anymore on AI. Kady, IMO, was the hottest girl in the group, and Kristi is #2 in hotness and she's near the bottom. And in that poll, Chikezie doesn't have a last name - WTF?
Old 03-07-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
I didn't want this turning into TOO much of a freak show. Like last year with Sanjaya. So I'm glad Nancy Noriega is gone.
Old 03-07-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Clay?

Danny just seemed like a jerk.. end of story.
Sure, everyone knew/knows both are gay. But Danny was over the top flamboyant.
Old 03-07-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Wow. MSNBC has a poll asking “Who is your favorite of the final 12 on "American Idol"?”. After about 18,500 votes, here are the results:

David Archuleta, 40%
David Cook, 9.2%
Jason Castro, 9.0%
Michael Johns, 8.7%
Brooke White, 8.2%
Carly Smithson, 7.3%
Ramiele Malubay, 4.3%
David Hernandez, 3.8%
Amanda Overmyer, 3.7%
Kristi Lee Cook, 2.5%
Syesha Mercado, 2.4%
Chikezie, 0.4%

OK, a few things here. First, David Archuleta is far and away the favorite – doesn’t mean he will win of course, but he is the odds on favorite and has pretty much locked up a spot in the final two. Also notice that the four top favorites are guys, and that Syesha Mercado is next to last. I would have thought that she was more popular, great looks and voice.

My March Madness Predictions:

1) David Archuleta: Finals ** Winner **
2) Brooke White: Finals
3) Michael Johns: Final 4
4) Ramiele Malubay: Sleeper Surprising Final 4
5) David Cook: Booted at 5
6) Jason Castro, Booted at 6
7) Syesha Mercado she makes it to 7.. needs a show stopper soon to extend her stay.. ** deep sleeper wildcard **
8) Carly Smithson, Booted at 8 .. Shocker
9) Amanda Overmyer, Vote for the Worst gets her to week 9
10) David Hernandez, Booted at 10.. lap dancing collateral damage
11) Kristi Lee Cook, Booted at 11, barring a country girl song run and maximum cleavage wich could extend her stay and flip flop her with Syesha
12) Chikezie: Booted next week, it was an honor just to be nominated
Old 03-07-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am impressed that Fox can stretch the results show out to an hour.
Old 03-07-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
My March Madness Predictions:

1) David Archuleta: Finals ** Winner **
2) Brooke White: Finals
3) Michael Johns: Final 4
4) Ramiele Malubay: Sleeper Surprising Final 4
5) David Cook: Booted at 5
6) Jason Castro, Booted at 6
7) Syesha Mercado she makes it to 7.. needs a show stopper soon to extend her stay.. ** deep sleeper wildcard **
8) Carly Smithson, Booted at 8 .. Shocker
9) Amanda Overmyer, Vote for the Worst gets her to week 9
10) David Hernandez, Booted at 10.. lap dancing collateral damage
11) Kristi Lee Cook, Booted at 11, barring a country girl song run and maximum cleavage wich could extend her stay and flip flop her with Syesha
12) Chikezie: Booted next week, it was an honor just to be nominated
At least you got 1 right.
Old 03-07-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyW
And in that poll, Chikezie doesn't have a last name - WTF?
Chikezie stopped using his last name when he made the top 24
Old 03-07-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Chikezie stopped using his last name when he made the top 24
Anyone else notice the awkward pause by Ryan when reading out the names of the final 12. He paced it so Chikezie would have a last name, then must have remember at the last second and there's just silence
Old 03-07-08, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
Anyone else notice the awkward pause by Ryan when reading out the names of the final 12. He paced it so Chikezie would have a last name, then must have remember at the last second and there's just silence
It was an awkward pause because they just removed the audio of Ryan saying Eze. They just reused the same footage and audio from the end of the Top 24 selection episode, when he still had a last name.
Old 03-07-08, 05:32 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
One problem of Danny getting voted out is that he won't be on the tour. He's a guaranteed draw of millions of pre-teen girls, just like Sanjaya was last year. Even if he was the first to go on the top-12, I'm sure he would have gotten an enthusiastic reception during his portion of the tour.
Old 03-07-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Happily surprised that Danny was eliminated. Same with Asia'h.

I don't want to sound like a shill, but this is probably the best top 12 the show has ever had. And maybe the most obnoxious, but we can't have everything can we?
Old 03-07-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
One problem of Danny getting voted out is that he won't be on the tour. He's a guaranteed draw of millions of pre-teen girls, just like Sanjaya was last year. Even if he was the first to go on the top-12, I'm sure he would have gotten an enthusiastic reception during his portion of the tour.
He would have had to make the Top 10 to go on tour, but yes, he would have been a big draw.
Old 03-07-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think David Archuleta will win but he has no appeal on top 40 radio. Maybe they can market him to Radio Disney.
Old 03-07-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LOL @ Nancy Noriega.
Old 03-08-08, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PerryD
Danny is a perfect draw for the preteen girls. He's cute, he's "safe", and he will listen to them (unlike their goofy real-life boyfriends). How could life get any better for them?

Someone queried why Simon seemed to have it in for Kady. Perhaps she rejected his offer to come by his suite for some late-night coaching and inspection of her "lung capacity".

Although I couldn't stand Luke's singing (and song choice...what more dated material could you pick than Wham! Perfect choice for an 'oldies' revue, which is Luke's forte), I did like his good-natured acceptance of his fate. Maybe he realized that he was in over his head or maybe he's just a good guy, but he seemed genuinely just "glad to be here" and didn't appear to be crushed or have hard feelings. Judging from Thurs. night alone, he has a good attitude about the whole thing.

Regarding Amanda's dispirited demeanor, it is puzzling...almost as if her disastrous performance last week & all the public criticism has broken her spirit & she just wants to tank it, strap on her Harley & doo-rag, and pull a Then Came Bronson. Hope that her DUI offense was just a result of too much partying one night; otherwise, someone needs to be looking out for her. She seems almost depressed after her performances (although, having to tape those "solo dancing" segments could depress anyone over 12).

We like trying to see which contestants are liked by the others (judging from their reactions when they don't know the camera is on them...although a smart contestant would know that they're potentially "on" any time they're out there). Seemed that the guys didn't have a lot of love for Michael Johns when he joined the Stool Crowd (and he didn't even look back at Danny & Chikeze when he got the good news and left them). Sometimes it seems that the other guys kind of shun Little David (although it has sometimes come after the judges have slobbered over him).

Seems that Carly has tried to take a Big Sister approach to the younger contestants (she even hugged Amanda when the latter dejectedly joined the other "winners"). Whether it's real or feigned, it will get some votes.

Are there any good AI exposes that reveal the dirt behind the smiles?

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-08-08 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-08-08, 06:24 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
From now on David Archuleta will be called "Giggles".
Old 03-08-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Is next week supposed to be the 90s? What about after that?
Old 03-08-08, 07:38 PM

No, next week is the songs of Lennon/McCartney, followed by "theme" nights, probably with the mentors.
Old 03-08-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone heard these Kady Malloy tracks on a myspace fan page:

http://www.myspace.com/kadymalloyfans

I find her singing listenable for the pop/easy listening genre, and none feature any vocal pyrotechnics that would dampen her overall performance of the songs.

What I am hating about AI for female contestants is that they all seem to think they need to showcase that big-time diva voice (a la Celine, Whitney, Mariah, etc), but if they could just convince the girls that the world wouldn't end if they didn't have the pipes for the songs that need the huge vocals, and just let them feel comfortable singing to their own strengths, we'd get better performances out of them. At least Brooke White understands her limitations and finds songs that fit her vocal range and stylings.

Listening the cuts by Kady reinforces my hope that the gals step back and find the smaller, more "safe" song (Simon be damned) that allow them to connect with the song on a more emotional level without fearing that the added anxiety that they won't be able to pull off the huge long notes, which affects the rest of their performance.
Old 03-08-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From that interview (and her parting comments), it's obvious she didn't get it. Everything Simon said about her was not only completely accurate but the primary reason she didn't advance in the show. His opinion is more important, simply because he's the only person on that show actually telling people what they did wrong and how to get better. Sure, he's a dick about it, but he's spot on nearly every time. It's the contestants who listen to Simon and make small adjustments to their performance while retaining their own personality who go far.

And Simon's right there with you, Patman. Almost every time someone tries to go all super-diva on the stage, he tears them apart. The easiest way to earn his scorn is to perform a Celine or Whitney song without drastically changing the arrangement. In fact, he's proven very forgiving of vocal imperfections if the performance was believable emotionally (probably because he knows he can fix the notes in the studio, but not the personality).

I think it's just youth. Most of these girls are at the age where they think they know everything and probably grew up watching American Idol and perceiving Simon as the asshole instead of the only one on that show with a clue. They're more likely to gravitate to the sycophantic praise of Paula than the harsh honesty of Simon. And maybe that's a good thing to weed those people out. The winner of this competition will face a lot more Simons than Paulas (until s/he goes to rehab).

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 03-08-08 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-08-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
you guys write so well about such banality... Das and Patman, do you have any articles out there I can read not related to tv shows?
Old 03-09-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Words can't even describe how much i loathe Chikezie, I hope he's sent packing next week. I was really cheering for Danny, who was a MUCH better vocalist.

I wonder if there's any hope of a wildcard show this season? That would be awesome! I wish they'd bring back Josiah Lemming.