Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The CW announces early pickups of series for 2008-2009

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The CW announces early pickups of series for 2008-2009

Old 03-03-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I think OTH has been pretty much a yawner this season, but I won't complain if it is coming back.

They better bring back Aliens in America. I really enjoyed it.
Old 03-03-08, 09:12 PM

Well in terms of their comedy departments, the CW clearly wants to shake things up a bit - I wouldn't anticipate Aliens getting a renewal of any sort:

Taken from The Hollywood Reporter

CW downsizes, sheds comedy division
By James Hibberd

March 4, 2008
UPDATED 7:01 p.m. PT March 3

The CW is combining its drama and current programming departments and eliminating its comedy division.

In what's being described as a companywide restructuring, the net laid off 25-30 employees Monday afternoon. The goal is to concentrate scripted programming into one department, sources said. Comedy department head Kim Fleary and her lieutenant Steve Veisel are among the departing employees. It's not yet clear who will lead the combined scripted department. Michael Roberts and Thom Sherman currently serve as executive vp current and drama, respectively. The unscripted division will remain unchanged.

The news came Monday afternoon, hours after the network announced the renewal of six series for next season -- including soapy teen freshman drama "Gossip Girl."

"The CW is restructuring some programming and marketing functions as part of an effort to streamline both areas," read a network statement. "In programming, the current and drama development departments will work together in a combined group that will include current programming in addition to scripted development."

Also, certain operations of the CW Plus station group, such as the marketing department, will be folded into the network. Some of the eliminated positions are from the Kids WB morning block, which The CW announced they would cease programming last fall. Other positions are open spots at the network that will not be filled.

Insiders emphasized that the CW remains in the comedy business, noting that the network just renewed "Everybody Hates Chris," and that fellow comedy "The Game" is expected to return.

But the restructuring underlines that the CW's most-watched shows tend to be unscripted programs such as "America's Next Top Model" and serial dramas like "Smallville."

Since the network launched in 2006, it's held onto a two-hour Monday night comedy block inherited from forebear UPN. Though UPN was successful with its comedy lineup, fellow CW parent The WB struggled in the genre (with the exception of "Reba"). The CW aimed for broader appeal, adding this fall's "Aliens in America." The series underperformed compared to the rest of the lineup and was notably absent from the list of CW renewals.

The CW did pick up "Gossip Girl," the eighth run of "Smallville," the fourth season of "Supernatural," the sixth season of "One Tree Hill," a fourth round of "Everybody Hates Chris" and -- for cycles 11 and 12 -- "America's Next Top Model."

Aside from "Aliens," the critically praised supernatural dramedy "Reaper" also wasn't picked up. The CW might be waiting to see how the show performs when it returns to air for five poststrike original episodes April 22. "Aliens" already completed its 18-episode run.

Last month, the CW declined to renew the Friday night wrestling staple "WWE SmackDown!" With the extra night to program coming this fall, plus the downsized comedy division, the CW will likely add more reality programming.

The CW has struggled to gain traction in the Nielsen ratings this year. The sophomore season of the network faced tough competition in the fall, with increased DVR penetration impacting broadcast ratings across the board and modest overall viewer response to the CW's latest freshman efforts.

Once scripted shows such as "Gossip" and "Smallville" went into repeats because of the writers strike, the CW's viewership sank further. Sources say the financial impact of the writers strike was a contributing factor in the layoffs.
Old 03-03-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

There were 18 episodes of Aliens of America? I must have missed some at some point.
Old 03-03-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Red Dog
They better bring back Aliens in America. I really enjoyed it.
Yeah, huh. I mean, Smallville was a no-brainer. They don't have to pay writers on that show.
Old 03-03-08, 10:08 PM

There were 18 episodes of Aliens of America? I must have missed some at some point.
Unaired episodes just started showing on Sunday March 2nd.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-03-08 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It great to see One tree Hill and Supernatural already getting renewed when they both have struggled to get picked up in the past. No surprise about Gossip Girl, although I do enjoy it, I wish the CW would advertise Supernatural a lot more. How many more seasons can Smallville go on?
Old 03-03-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe Season 8 will most likely be it's final season. But, considering that The CW has struggled developing new programs, that may not be the case......I hope they don't run it into the ground like Seventh Heaven.
Old 03-03-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those no-good bastards better pick up Reaper.
Old 03-03-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's got 5 post strike episodes to prove it deserves a 2nd season. The funny thing is I recall the ratings were about equal to what Gossip Girl was getting and The CW gave that a full season and a renewal.
Old 03-03-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My guess is that Gossip Girl gets favorable treatment because The CW is still going after a young female demo. It's a more obvious fit.
Old 03-03-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's got 5 post strike episodes to prove it deserves a 2nd season. The funny thing is I recall the ratings were about equal to what Gossip Girl was getting and The CW gave that a full season and a renewal.
Gossip Girl gets about 2+ million hits a week via online episodes as well and is a much more marketable show.

But I doubt Reaper will have any problem if you think about it. With Wrestling, "Life is Wild," and the comedy block becoming a single hour that leaves room for 4 new one-hour series if REAPER comes back... I doubt the CW needs five hours for new programming, or even wants that.
Old 03-04-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Time for Veronica Mars FBI CW....C'mon...do it!!!!!

As for Gossip Girl, its been #1 on iTunes nearly all of its 13 episode run, its cheap to produce, gets good ratings, and can easily be marketed for CDs etc. I expect Gossip Girl to be on CW for a couple years. Smallville just needs to end already.
Old 03-04-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nice for Smallville but they need to get him flying or getting ready to be Superman
Old 03-04-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This article is highly inaccurate. Not only did Aliens in America just start airing new episodes again, Reaper is coming back next week, not on April 22. I would take that article with an extremely large grain of salt.
Old 03-04-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Big thumbs up to Supernatural and Gossip Girl. I watch Smallville too but this season has been beyond bad (which is saying a LOT for Smallville)... I hope they just move into full on Superman mode or something...
Old 03-04-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad Supernatural is coming back....love the show!
Old 03-04-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, another year of SMALLVILLE. I thought for sure the network would pull the plug or Tom Welling would decide to jump ship after this season.
Old 03-04-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Those no-good bastards better pick up Reaper.
Sounds like Reaper has been reaped. How can anyone get into new shows when the odds are it won't make last a season?
Old 03-04-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mverleg1
Hmm. Michael Rosenbaum (Lex on Smallville) indicated in the middle of the 6th season that the 7th would be his last. It will be interesting to see if they write him out or pay enough to get him to stay.
Never thought I would say it but I hope he goes. Lex is a shell of his former self. He's almost a caricature at this point. It would be nice to see some fresh threats that don't all lead back to the mansion.

I'd also like to see them move on to Metropolis. Dump Lana and get Lois in the mix with Clark. And definitely put a heavier focus on the Justice League.
Old 03-04-08, 06:52 PM

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080304cw01

[03.04.08 - 02:29 PM]

THE CW NETWORK LOCKS IN MIDSEASON SCHEDULE WITH NEW EPISODES AND NEW TIME PERIODS
Released by The CW

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CW NETWORK LOCKS IN MIDSEASON SCHEDULE WITH NEW EPISODES AND NEW TIME PERIODS

New Episodes of Freshman Hit GOSSIP GIRL Return on Monday, April 21, Paired with Originals of ONE TREE HILL, Creating New Night of Drama for The CW

March 4, 2008 (Burbank, CA) - The CW Network has set its new midseason schedule, featuring brand new episodes of its scripted series and several strategic moves to bolster new nights and new time periods.

New episodes of freshman sensation GOSSIP GIRL return to The CW schedule beginning Monday, April 21 (8:00-9:00p.m. ET). On April 7, ONE TREE HILL moves to its new night and time on Mondays (9:00-10:00p.m. ET), following GOSSIP GIRL and creating a powerful night of drama for The CW.

With ONE TREE HILL moving to Mondays in April, the climactic final original episodes of PUSSYCAT DOLLS PRESENTS: GIRLICIOUS will air on Wednesdays starting April 9 (9:00-10:00p.m. ET), following AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL.

Through the month of March, original episodes of The CW's REAPER will follow all-new episodes of SMALLVILLE. On March 25, REAPER returns to Tuesdays (9:00-10:00p.m. ET) following the newest edition of The CW's hit reality series BEAUTY AND THE GEEK, which premieres March 11 (8:00-9:00p.m. ET).

SUPERNATURAL returns to The CW's Thursday line-up (9:00-10:00p.m. ET) on April 3.

With new episodes of EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS (8:00-8:30p.m. ET) and ALIENS IN AMERICA (8:30-9:00p.m. ET) currently airing on Sundays, original episodes of THE GAME return to The CW's comedy block in its new time period beginning Sunday, March 23 (9:00-9:30p.m. ET).

Following is The CW's midseason schedule:

Monday

8:00-9:00 p.m. "GOSSIP GIRL" (New Episodes Begin April 21)

8:00-9:00 p.m. "ONE TREE HILL" (New Time Beginning April 7)

Tuesday

8:00-9:00 p.m. "BEAUTY AND THE GEEK" (Premieres March 11)

9:00-10:00 p.m. "REAPER" (New Time Beginning March 25)

Wednesday

8:00-9:00 p.m. "AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL"

9:00-10:00 p.m. "PUSSYCAT DOLLS PRESENT: GIRLICIOUS" (New Episodes Beginning April 9)

Thursday

8:00-9:00 p.m. "SMALLVILLE"

9:00-10:00 p.m. "SUPERNATURAL" (Returning April 3)

Sunday

7:00-8:00 p.m. "AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL" Encores

8:00-8:30 p.m. "EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS"

8:30-9:00 p.m. "ALIENS IN AMERICA"

9:00-9:30 p.m. "THE GAME" (New Episodes and New Time Beginning March 23)

9:30-10:00 p.m. "GIRLFRIENDS" (New Time Beginning March 23)

All Times ET

Chris
Old 03-04-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Supernatural!