Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saturday Night Live (03/01/08) H: Ellen Page, MG: Wilco

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
First one was "Hate It Here," second one was "Walken."

Both songs off their latest record, Sky Blue Sky.

They were fantastic tonight (Jeff in his Nudie suit!), and I'll be seeing them a week from tonight in Tulsa! Can't wait!

Thanks! I think they have a new fan.

As for the comedy it was so-so. I remember laughing only a handful of times. Anyone notice not as much Amy Poehler this week but an overload of Keenan? (and I am a fan of his)

Last edited by ardathbey; 03-02-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-02-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ardathbey
Cool! I've been a die-hard fan of theirs for over ten years now, and I never thought they'd ever be doing SNL, so this evening was very surreal. But they put on one hell of a show.
Old 03-02-08, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Anyone notice not as much Amy Poehler this week but an overload of Keenan? (and I am a fan of his)
What "little" there was of Poehler still managed to seem like TOO MUCH. Lessee...Hil, Dakota, Tinkerbell, WU...

Am I missing anything? (i've already forgotten most of it - thank God - and deleted it from my TiVo about 15 minutes ago)
Old 03-02-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Page was awful. She is fine being a sardonic teen but it does not translate to a live comedy show at all. I don't think that her face or voice changed expression once. She couldn't even muster up pretend enthusiasm during the signoff.
Old 03-02-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was entertained by the show, which is an improvement over a lot of recent episodes, but wasn't really funny. Page was a terrible host. I did like the digital short, probably the most laughs of any skit. Even the TV funhouse had a few laughs, but those are always too long. The Dakota Fanning is Poehler's best skit/character. Fairly forgettable overall.
Old 03-02-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to watch/record. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Who's hosting next week?
Old 03-02-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Hey we got some buzz with our debate sketch. Let's do the exact same thing this week, too."
Old 03-02-08, 08:30 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

This episode was a big drop from last week. Everything from the "editorial comment" to Page's horrible hosting ability. She looked frightened to death during her monologue and rushed through it way too fast. Every skit she appeared in was worse for it.

Dakota Fanning Show was mildly amusing, but everything following was a step down. The Giuliani appearance wasn't funny and Armeson reading the newspapers didn't work either. The Obama Files was just plain funny as well.

I did like the concept of the Digital Short, but it went on way too long.
Old 03-02-08, 09:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
bloody fucking awful episode.
Old 03-02-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of liked this episode. Good Hilarly and Rudy cameos, and WU was good (well, except for half the time when Poehler is talking).
Old 03-02-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Wow, except for Wilco, every single thing in this episode sucked - probably one of the worst SNLs ever, which is saying a lot.
Old 03-02-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I love you, Dracula."

I thought the digital short was hilarious, and I enjoy drinking late at night.
Old 03-02-08, 10:51 AM
Suspended

If you want a fantastic Wilco album get Foxtrot Yankee Hotel. Its in the top ten albums I've ever owned.
Old 03-02-08, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
If you want a fantastic Wilco album get Foxtrot Yankee Hotel. Its in the top ten albums I've ever owned.
And be sure to pick up their other album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, while you're at it.
Old 03-02-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs

top 10 albums huh? well you might want to learn the correct order those words go.
Old 03-02-08, 11:13 AM

I first saw them live last year. Had never really heard any of their music beforehand.

Shortly after the show, I was very angry with myself for never listening to them before. They are now one of my favorite bands.

They seem to be a very tape-friendly band, as they have many shows on etree. Also, NPR streamed a live show last week, and will have it archived/streaming on their site for a while.
Old 03-02-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
And be sure to pick up their other album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, while you're at it.
As good as that is, I like both "Being There" and "Summerteeth" better.
Old 03-02-08, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
As good as that is, I like both "Being There" and "Summerteeth" better.
Oh me too, just commenting on the title mix-up.

I think Being There will probably always be my favorite Wilco record. YHF next, and then I like ST, A Ghost is Born, and SBS all about the same. And then, of course, there's A.M.
Old 03-02-08, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ellen Page brings the hotness.

Still...not a very funny episode. The Peter Pan skit was awful, but made me laugh.
Old 03-02-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I love when they have the latest "hot young white actress" play the daughter of Keenan's "Big Momma" character or whatever her name is.
Old 03-02-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In very small doses, I find Virginiaka funny, but Page was terrible. She was just loud and spastic. Contrast that with Scarlett Johansson, who actually created a good white trash character.

das
Old 03-02-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only caught a few sketches, but Armisen plays a good Obama. The Dakota Fanning sketch was good as usual, and I always like the Thompson Big Momma character. I was not impressed with Ellen Page at all. I'll have to wait a few weeks until the episode is rerun.
Old 03-02-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, personally, find Virginika to be a decent character, as das Monkey mentioned, in small doses.

What I'd like to see is a skit in which all the actors that have portrayed her daughters come back, and are in one big skit en masse.

I felt the "Other other Boleyn girls" was quite funny, and managed to make me laugh quite a good deal. I truly believe Jason Sudekis to be one of the funniest the show has to offer. The "School of Excellence" was something that I really enjoyed. It felt like a throwback to the oddball skits of old. In regards to the "Peter Pan" skit, I believe it would have come across much better if Pan were not played by Page. The actual skit was well conceived, and each part was perfectly portrayed, beyond Page.

And, yes... Page was simply spastic and uncontrolled. There was no range within her acting, and nothing came across believable within the realm of the show.

(I think the writing in the actual episode was, beyond the teaser, very well done tonight, and seemed to be one of the better of the previous few. However, the host was sufficiant in bringing the actual level of the show down.
Old 03-03-08, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I was going to come here and find everyone praising Page. She was pretty bad. Can't do comedy or work live. Best she could do was the Virginika daughter part.

I only laughed (small chuckle actually) a few times. I didn't know Hillary was going to appear. She did a better job than Ed Koch. Digital short was another loser. Can I not have to look at Sandler's goofy face one more time please?

Never heard of Wilco...
Old 03-03-08, 08:06 AM

Is Page a lesbian or just very young? She's very butch. I agree this week was horrible coming off last weeks decent show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.