DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Please Make Ryan Seacrest Go Away (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/526261-please-make-ryan-seacrest-go-away.html)

Double_Oh_7 02-28-08 12:58 PM

Please Make Ryan Seacrest Go Away

Now he's getting a syndicated radio show. I just don't get why everyone throws money at this guy. He is mediocre at best.

Ryan Seacrest Expands Clear Channel Radio Relationship with New Venture and Continued Partnership

New Daily Radio Program Hosted by Seacrest Goes National with Multiplatform Distribution

Renews Contract with 102.7 KIIS-FM and Premiere Radio Network

SAN ANTONIO, February 28, 2008 – Clear Channel Radio and Ryan Seacrest announced today they are partnering to bring a new entertainment news program to radio audiences nationally. The new three-hour syndicated program, On Air with Ryan Seacrest, is set to launch this spring and will be broadcast live from E! Studios in Hollywood. The program will focus on all aspects of the entertainment industry, highlighting top talent from the worlds of music, film and television, and will be available for air daily, between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time. Seacrest and Clear Channel Radio will develop original content for the program for national and international distribution across audio, video and online platforms. It is a multi-platform deal in which Seacrest develops on-air content, hosts the program, distributes some elements across other platforms, and provides a portion of integrated advertising options. This new venture, and continued partnership, further solidifies Seacrest’s position as the ultimate resource for pop culture and entertainment.

In conjunction with the new deal, there will be a re-launch of RyanSeacrest.com tied specifically to the new national program. It will be the one universal place for listeners of all affiliates to interact and connect with the daily show, and will become their source for daily entertainment and lifestyle news. They will also be able to view live, streamlined videos and photos, as well as participate in social networking. All content will be controlled by Ryan Seacrest Productions (RSP).

Additionally, Seacrest has renewed deals to continue as host of American Top 40 with Ryan Seacrest, which is nationally syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks, and On Air with Ryan Seacrest, his top-rated daily radio program which airs from 5:00 -10:00 a.m. PT on Clear Channel Radio’s 102.7 KIIS-FM in Los Angeles.

“Ryan has taken American Top 40 to new heights, and we can’t wait to hear what else he will bring to the show as he continues as host,” said Charlie Rahilly, President of Premiere Radio Networks. “Ryan’s talent and motivation are recognized industry-wide, and without a doubt, drive his success!”

- more -

Over the past three years, On Air with Ryan Seacrest at KIIS-FM has been the most-listened-to program in Southern California (Source: Arbitron MSA, Cume). The program consistently wins every female demo from 12-17 to 35-44. American Top 40 hit a broadcasting milestone of nearly 500 stations worldwide last year and continues to rank number one in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Detroit and Minneapolis within its target demo of Adults 18-34 (Source: Arbitron MSA, Fall 2007, Exact times, Cume).

“This unique opportunity to create programming in collaboration with a game-changer like Ryan is an intriguing extension to our already fantastic working relationship with him, and we are thrilled that this new content will be accessible via all forms of radio,” said Greg Ashlock, President/Market Manager for Clear Channel Radio Los Angeles. “Ryan is great for radio because he finds a genuine way to connect with his audience every time he cracks open the microphone, and is one of the reasons KIIS-FM is back on top.”

Strafe 02-28-08 01:05 PM

Get over it. I'm no fan of his but he is the new Dick Clark. Look forward to seeing Neural Implant Bloopers, Bleeps and Practical Jokes in 30 years.

Groucho 02-28-08 01:10 PM

The guy is very good at what he does. He's personable and inoffensive. I'm surprised anybody would be irritated by him -- he's harmless.

DVD Josh 02-28-08 01:12 PM

I thought that Ryan was looking pretty tired last night on AI. Between AI, his radio show and E!, I don't know how he has any free time.

superdeluxe 02-28-08 01:13 PM

Easy way for you to avoid ryan seacrest:

Don't listen to his radio show, or the affliates when he is on them (once a week?)

Don't watch Idol

And Don't watch E!

Done..no more seacrest problem.

Groucho 02-28-08 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I thought that Ryan was looking pretty tired last night on AI. Between AI, his radio show and E!, I don't know how he has any free time.

Dude is a classic workaholic. If they didn't work together, he's probably never see his husband Simon.

Lateralus 02-28-08 01:25 PM

Who's Ryan Seacrest?

I don't like him either that is (one of the many reasons) why I don't watch.

Damfino 02-28-08 01:28 PM

1. Don't watch American Idol
2. Buy a Sirius radio

problem solved!

PerryD 02-28-08 01:32 PM

Yeah, Seacrest is really good at what he does on AI. We'd see a lot of contestants breaking down if it wasn't for Seacrest swooping in and saying exactly what is needed for them to retain composure.

DRG 02-28-08 01:47 PM

To really appreciate Ryan Seacrest, you have to remember Brian Dunkleman, the Andrew Ridgeley of American Idol.

Double_Oh_7 02-28-08 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
The guy is very good at what he does.

Really?!?! Did you see the Emmy awards? That dorky mouthwash commercial? Please...

SoSpacey 02-28-08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
The guy is very good at what he does. He's personable and inoffensive. I'm surprised anybody would be irritated by him -- he's harmless.

Sums it up perfectly.

I actually LIKE Seacrest and I have respect for the guy. He busted/busts his ass in the business and it pays off.

I dont think people realize how hard it is to do what he does.

aJOHNymous 02-28-08 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Sums it up perfectly.

I actually LIKE Seacrest and I have respect for the guy. He busted/busts his ass in the business and it pays off.

I dont think people realize how hard it is to do what he does.

QFT

I know it's cool and trendy to hate on him, but any dislike I have for this guy is based on jealousy. He works his ass off and is rich and famous because of it. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

Meanwhile, I like to think I am busting my ass 8-9 hours a day at my corporate job and that I am entitled to more money/perks, but in the end I realize that I am actually compensated appropriately for what I do. I'm just a fucking crybaby.

Chrisedge 02-28-08 02:31 PM

He got lucky (AI Break) and used that to work hard and get somewhere in a industry most folks would love to be in.

I have no issue with him either...(Other than jealously)

rfduncan 02-28-08 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Strafe
Get over it. I'm no fan of his but he is the new Dick Clark.

He absolutely is. And I don't have a problem with him in that same vein that no one's ever really had a real problem with Dick Clark.

Plenty easy to avoid him as long as you don't live in LA where his visage litters billboards for his local radio show.:shrug:

Goldberg74 02-28-08 05:27 PM

Bring back Dunkleman!

dx23 02-28-08 07:16 PM

I also don't have a problem with him and think that he is very good at what he does. On the other hand, I find Billy Bush annoying and irritating.

RichC2 02-28-08 07:22 PM

Billy Bush is annoying. Seacrest's bit in Knocked Up made me not mind him in the least.

Timber 02-28-08 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Seacrest's bit in Knocked Up made me not mind him in the least.

I'm not a fan of his at all, just don't get the appeal. The scene in Knocked Up sort of changed my mind though, he actually made me laugh.

BigDogg 02-29-08 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
Yeah, Seacrest is really good at what he does on AI. We'd see a lot of contestants breaking down if it wasn't for Seacrest swooping in and saying exactly what is needed for them to retain composure.

imagined you sayin that in Stewie's voice and it was hilarious

Shannon Nutt 02-29-08 11:19 AM

I think Seacrest is the best "red carpet" interviewer I've seen in years. Think that's easy to do? Try it. He's VERY good at his job, like him or not.

Whomever said he's the new Dick Clark hit the nail on the head.

MrE 02-29-08 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think Seacrest is the best "red carpet" interviewer I've seen in years. Think that's easy to do? Try it. He's VERY good at his job, like him or not.

But Isaac Mizrahi is more hands on.

Shannon Nutt 02-29-08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MrE
But Isaac Mizrahi is more hands on.

:lol:

DJariya 02-29-08 02:37 PM

You know Dick Clark's New Years Rockin Eve is most likely going to be passed on to Seacrest once Clark is done with TV for good.....even though Seacrest is essentially the host now.

C-Mart 02-29-08 04:37 PM

There are 2 major things I don't like about him. On his local show he routinely steals bits from Kevin & Bean on the station I listen to, KROQ. They know this because people listen to both shows and call in to tell them that Ryan had stolen a bit they did a few days or a week before. Its happened several times. The other reason is that he got a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame with little reason to do so. I'm not 100% sure how the stars work but I think it goes like this... someone fronts $10k to nominate a person for a star. If the committee decides they get a star, then they get a star. Now Ryan's star is for radio, but around the same time as he got his star Rodney Bingenheimer - after much campaigning by Kevin & Bean to come up with the money - was nominated for a star. Soon after he was denied Ryan got his star.

Rodney is arguably one of the most influential radio DJs ever and has slingshotted a multitude of musical careers to superstar status. Most of this was in the 70s but it continued well into the 90's. For him to be snubbed and someone like Seacrest to get chosen was like a slap in the face... honestly though, I don't think that is Seacrest's fault... right place at the right time, and him landing the Idol gig probably boosted his radio ratings.

I think Rodney has a star now... but at the time it sucked.

Edit to add: He got a star on March 9, 2007 in front of The Knitting Factory on Sunset.