DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What is the point of TBS HD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/525619-what-point-tbs-hd.html)

RoyalTea 02-19-08 09:05 PM

What is the point of TBS HD?

after the MLB playoffs, have they ever shown anything in HD?

Boba Fett 02-19-08 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
after the MLB playoffs, have they ever shown anything in HD?

Movies?

RoyalTea 02-19-08 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Movies?

really? it seems like everything they air is stretch-o-vision.

FantasticVSDoom 02-19-08 09:29 PM

To mock us...

Nick Martin 02-19-08 09:34 PM

Being in Canada I didn't know TBS had an HD channel but (sort of related) I don't get why there's CNN HD. I don't even watch regular CNN because of that damn ticker which isn't the best thing for a Plasma. During these election primaries, CNN HD looks like a complex video game screen, so they do take advantage of the wider frame but of course it's all still there faintly when you change the channel!

FinkPish 02-19-08 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
To mock us...

This. TBS HD is a complete waste of space. I wish my cable company would replace it with something that actually broadcasts things in HD instead of just stretching SD content to fit the screen. There are several hundreds of Discovery HD channels that could be using that space to much better effect.

Brent_MN 02-19-08 09:56 PM

yeah so none of the movies are in HD? I thought Turner and Hooch looked funny the other week....

Vipper II 02-20-08 06:16 AM

Aside from maybe a few things, A&E-HD is the same way.

rw2516 02-20-08 06:43 AM

Is there any point in transmitting SD content over an HD signal? TV Land for example.

rfduncan 02-20-08 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Is there any point in transmitting SD content over an HD signal? TV Land for example.

So Joe Sixpack doesn't call bitching that his HD channels (for which he is paying extra) aren't filling his new HDTV, of course. :brickwl2:

rw2516 02-20-08 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
So Joe Sixpack doesn't call bitching that his HD channels (for which he is paying extra) aren't filling his new HDTV, of course. :brickwl2:

Doesn't the channel have to transmit an HD signal to the cable/satellite company which they in turn re-transmit to the subscibers? What I mean is, is it worthwhile for channels like TV Land to transmit their signal in HD to the able/satellite companies?

bunkaroo 02-20-08 10:16 AM

I think TNT HD also does this stretch crap. What a bunch of idiots running those channels.

Vipper II 02-20-08 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think TNT HD also does this stretch crap. What a bunch of idiots running those channels.

TNT has gotten MUCH better about not doing that. They only stretch about 15-20% of the time now.

bunkaroo 02-20-08 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
TNT has gotten MUCH better about not doing that. They only stretch about 15-20% of the time now.

I'll take your word for it. Still seems like every other time I flip past it, it's all stretched or not HD at all. Maybe it's the time of day.

wiz 02-20-08 12:25 PM

We don't get TBS HD anymore here in ATlanta...now we have Peacthree TV in HD and TBS is just analog again...

Doc MacGyver 02-20-08 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Being in Canada I didn't know TBS had an HD channel but (sort of related) I don't get why there's CNN HD. I don't even watch regular CNN because of that damn ticker which isn't the best thing for a Plasma. During these election primaries, CNN HD looks like a complex video game screen, so they do take advantage of the wider frame but of course it's all still there faintly when you change the channel!

LCD, bitches ;)

-Doc

Ayre 02-20-08 12:38 PM

TBS = Baseball

TNT original programming is in HD.

All other programming is SD.

dick_grayson 02-20-08 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
TBS = Baseball

TNT original programming is in HD.

All other programming is SD.

Law and/or Order is in HD and isn't stretched on TNT. I rarely see stretched content on TNT HD. TBS seems all stretched as does A&E which sucks since they've been playing the Godfather a lot lately and it's unwatchable when stretched.

bloopbleep 02-20-08 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan

yeah that was a plus when I bought my plasma, all the sd channels look just as good if not better on comcast box than regular sdtv. no need to worry about trying to adjust antenna. when I used my over the air antenna my hdtv channels came in beautiful but standard sucked till I got my comcast box. now they all look great.

Ayre 02-20-08 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Law and/or Order is in HD and isn't stretched on TNT. I rarely see stretched content on TNT HD. TBS seems all stretched as does A&E which sucks since they've been playing the Godfather a lot lately and it's unwatchable when stretched.

Not sure how I could have forgotten L&O. In our area (NE Ohio) TBSHD was specifically brought on board before baseball playoff started. TBS had bought a large share of the first couple rounds. Isn't My Boys HD?

I am afraid if I watch any more TBSHD my TV will get stretch marks. :p

dhmac 02-20-08 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by wiz
We don't get TBS HD anymore here in ATlanta...now we have Peacthree TV in HD and TBS is just analog again...

That's because TBS finally became completely a satellite station in October 2007 and so WTBS (the Atlanta broadcast version of TBS) was no more (replaced by Peachtree TV).

So, in Atlanta, we finally get the satellite version of TBS on cable (it was always the local version before, though only seldom different in programming) and we get a new local "independent" channel as well. (A win-win, IMO, unless one doesn't have cable or satellite service.)

Scott27 02-21-08 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
Not sure how I could have forgotten L&O. In our area (NE Ohio) TBSHD was specifically brought on board before baseball playoff started. TBS had bought a large share of the first couple rounds. Isn't My Boys HD?

I am afraid if I watch any more TBSHD my TV will get stretch marks. :p

Has My Boys even aired since TBS launched their HD feed?

Beginning in April, TBS has Sunday afternoon MLB games every week, so at least SOMETHING will be in HD for six months.

Ayre 02-22-08 05:47 AM

TBS HD launched Sept 1 and My Boys last episode was Sept 10. So maybe 3 episodes (2 back to back on Sept 10).

Anubis2005X 02-22-08 05:49 AM

Stretch-O-Vision, oh how I hate thee. And there's not even really any way to correct it, because usually it's that jacked up version where everything is fat on the outer edges and really skinny in the middle...

raven56706 02-22-08 07:56 AM

TBS pisses me off but TNTHD has gotten btter.... movies and law and order are in HD

CPA-ESQ. 02-22-08 08:33 AM

This channel is a waste of bandwith

CharlesC 02-22-08 06:00 PM

The worst is seeing The Office on TBS. Originally broadcast in HD/16:9, boxed into 4:3 then restretched with black bars on all 4 sides on TBS. Totally unwatchable.

amplified 02-22-08 06:08 PM

I hardly ever watch TBS HD because the stretch-o-vision drives me nuts.

Zen Peckinpah 02-22-08 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
TBS pisses me off but TNTHD has gotten btter.... movies and law and order are in HD

Yeah, Batman was on TNT in HD a few months back and looked great. Has me excited for the Blu-ray.

What the world really needs is a TCM HD channel with all widescreen movies a la HDNet Movies.

Rogue588 02-22-08 09:10 PM

Yeah, L&O looks great, but there's the occasional episode that looks terrible. I wish they would show the same consideration to Angel and NYPD Blue's later season..

Bill Geiger 02-23-08 08:44 AM

I wouldn't say it has gotten better. Seems like most movies I watch, when you see the camera pan, the picture is very wavy.

Originally Posted by amplified
I hardly ever watch TBS HD because the stretch-o-vision drives me nuts.

Believe it or not, Family Guy actually looks great.

whotony 02-25-08 04:09 PM

FG doesn't look great.
it looks stretched and distorted.

Palaver 02-25-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
FG doesn't look great.
it looks stretched and distorted.

Stewie's head is supposed to look like that -wink-

RoyalTea 05-08-08 09:16 AM

looks like the TBS is actually showing high def programming now.

paradicelost 05-08-08 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
FG doesn't look great.

I think thats more the fault of the bad writing;)