DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mensa Chairman picks his top 10 TV shows of all time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/525292-mensa-chairman-picks-his-top-10-tv-shows-all-time.html)

magiccmom 02-15-08 05:11 PM

Mensa Chairman picks his top 10 TV shows of all time

MENSA Big Brain Picks Ten Smartest TV Shows of All-Time

By Jason Perry

Jim Werdell, chairman of MENSA International - an elite worlwide organization for people with an IQ that falls into the top 2% of the population - selected his top 10 smartest television shows of all-time after being posed the question by Fancast.com.

How does one decide whether a television show is smart or not? Werdell shares his criteria.

“They weren’t pure comedy, mystery or action,” he says. “They tended to be shows that dealt with issues in the world, and from my perspective that’s considered smart. Some sitcoms reach a higher level of intellect than others, and you can say the same about some of the dramas. The stories may be cliché, but the characters and dialogue are smarter.”

Here's the list complete with Werdell's comments:

1. M*A*S*H – It had smart repartee and was so much more than a comedy.
2. Cosmos (with Carl Sagan) – Sagan was able to communicate something extremely complicated to the layman and do it well, and that’s unusual for a scientist at his level.
3. CSI -- The way they use science to solve their programs is intriguing to viewers.
4. House – Again, it’s high level type of show; it’s the personality that makes it a winner, plus it deals with science.
5. West Wing – you had to pay attention to stay up with it. The repartee was fast and furious and you needed a fairly high level intelligence to keep up with it.
6. Boston Legal – It’s primarily because of the characters. The story lines are okay, but the characters are incredible and the writers give them great dialogue.
7. All in the Family – The show dealt with social issues before its time and was on the forefront of trying to show people’s feelings, beliefs and the complexities of personality, in both a serious and comedic way.
8. Frasier – The repartee was sensational; the main characters were very good. Even though they portrayed people who were likely of high intelligence, they also showed their weaknesses.
9. Mad About You – It’s a personal favorite, I loved the characters and the back and forth. It was very smart.
10. Jeopardy – It’s about the only game show that really tries to test people’s intelligence. There’s very little luck involved, and there are few game shows like that. I don’t watch it all that much honestly, but from what I’ve seen it tests more than knowledge, it tests intelligence too.

das Monkey 02-15-08 05:17 PM

Dear MENSA,

Watch <i>The Wire</i> (and countless other shows that fit your criteria perfectly) before releasing a list that shows you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Sincerely,
das Monkey

P.S. <i>Wisdom</i> is not paying an annual fee to confirm you're <i>smart</i>.

magiccmom 02-15-08 05:19 PM

Mad about you? WTF?

nateman 02-15-08 05:27 PM

Only 3 out of those 10 shows actually deserve to be on that list, IMO.

M*A*S*H, Frasier and All in the Family.

magiccmom 02-15-08 05:34 PM

I gotta agree with Jeopardy...love that show!

cracksky 02-15-08 06:00 PM

This proves MENSA is useless.

TomOpus 02-15-08 06:01 PM

So it really isn't MENSA that picked the list... it's just the chairman's list. :down:

Jimmy James 02-15-08 06:10 PM

What I love is that the brain trust couldn't get a concept as simple as counting down from ten figured out. Who puts out a top 10 list and starts by listing the top show first?

magiccmom 02-15-08 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So it really isn't MENSA that picked the list... it's just the chairman's list. :down:

I fixed that in the subtitle, but dont know how to fix it in the title thread. That's why I dont belong to mensa.

skacore 02-15-08 06:48 PM

Doesn't seem to watch much tv, quite offensive list really.

Boba Fett 02-15-08 07:24 PM

3. CSI -- The way they use science to solve their programs is intriguing to viewers.
6. Boston Legal – It’s primarily because of the characters. The story lines are okay, but the characters are incredible and the writers give them great dialogue.

LOL @ both of these. CSI is about as scientific as Doctor Who; and Boston Legal is one of the most pretentious self-important shows I've ever seen (I was a fan for a few years until it hit me one night how unoriginal the show was).

tommyp007 02-15-08 07:35 PM

no Simpsons....but Mad about You????? :hscratch:

TyroneJordan 02-15-08 07:37 PM

MENSA are too busy doing equations than watching TV. What do they know?

JasonF 02-15-08 08:45 PM

More nominees: Homicide: LOTS, Star Trek: DS9 and the Twilight Zone

Jah-Wren Ryel 02-15-08 09:54 PM

Doesn't jeopardy give all their contestants a big book of questions/answers beforehand and everything on the show comes from the book?

MENSA is just the 98th percentile, big freaking whoop. 1 out of 50 doesn't mean that much.

spainlinx0 02-15-08 10:17 PM

That's the list? That? I had the same thought as das when I didn't see the Wire even mentioned. Did the guy not have time to even watch TV, and therefore doesn't know what shows are even good?

FantasticVSDoom 02-15-08 10:18 PM

Science + CSI :lol:

xfilefanfreak 02-15-08 10:19 PM

WHAT no x-files

Jay G. 02-15-08 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Doesn't jeopardy give all their contestants a big book of questions/answers beforehand and everything on the show comes from the book?

No. The questions on Jeopardy! are not pre-selected from one book. You may be thinking of the book How to Get on Jeopardy!... and Win, which includes an answer/question section, but is in no way definitive.

gfoots 02-15-08 11:34 PM

The surest way to prove you are not a genius is to spend money on a MENSA quiz book.

superdeluxe 02-16-08 12:33 AM

I thought uber geeks were all about xfiles.

CKMorpheus 02-16-08 12:48 AM

No Wire. No Six Feet Under. No win

Drexl 02-16-08 12:57 AM

Arrested Development would have been a better candidate than Frasier or Mad About You. They could have also considered a good talk show like Charlie Rose.

The Infidel 02-16-08 01:22 AM

This is what I think of MENSA:

A few years ago, when I was working in Columbia House's Video Customer Service department, a customer called and, demonstrating himself quickly to be quite irate, told me to cancel his account. Since it's our job to, I asked him why. He stated he couldn't understand our Dividend Dollar savings program, and I asked if there was something I could explain about it to him. He said he's a member of MENSA, and if he couldn't understand it, it wasn't worth understanding (or something to that extent...it's been several years, after all). I told him I understand it just fine, and asked him how I could sign up. He didn't care for that.

Jeremy517 02-16-08 04:35 AM

CSI :lol: