Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CBS renews 11 series for the 2008-2009 season

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20080214cbs04

[02.14.08 - 03:30 PM]

CBS RENEWS 11 SERIES FOR THE 2008-2009 SEASON
Released by CBS

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBS RENEWS 11 SERIES FOR THE 2008-2009 SEASON

"Cold Case," "Criminal Minds," "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "CSI: Miami," "CSI: NY," "Ghost Whisperer," "NCIS," "Numb3rs," "Two and a Half Men," "Without a Trace" and the Freshman Comedy "The Big Bang Theory" Join Previously Announced '"Survivor" and "The Amazing Race"

Eight of the Top 20 Scripted Series on Television to Return

CBS has renewed 11 series for next season in a move that will return 10 hours of the Network's primetime schedule and eight of the top 20 scripted series on television.

The 11 series are COLD CASE, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION, CSI: MIAMI, CSI: NY, GHOST WHISPERER, NCIS, NUMB3RS, freshman comedy THE BIG BANG THEORY, TWO AND A HALF MEN and WITHOUT A TRACE. They join the previously announced SURVIVOR, another top 20 program, and THE AMAZING RACE, which ranks among the top 30.

? COLD CASE is averaging 12.38 million viewers. COLD CASE is produced by CBS Paramount Network Television in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television and Warner Bros. Television. Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman, Meredith Stiehm and Veena Sud are executive producers.

? CRIMINAL MINDS is Wednesday's top scripted program in viewers, averaging 14.06 million viewers in its competitive Wednesday (9:00-10:00 PM) time period. CRIMINAL MINDS is produced by ABC Studios in association with CBS Paramount Network Television. Mark Gordon, Ed Bernero and Deb Spera are executive producers.

? CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION remains Thursday's Number One program with a weekly audience of 17.78 million viewers. CSI is produced by CBS Paramount Network Television in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television. Jerry Bruckheimer, Carol Mendelsohn, Ann Donahue, Anthony E. Zuiker, Naren Shankar, Jonathan Littman, William Petersen, Cynthia Chvatal and Ken Fink are executive producers.

? CSI: MIAMI is Monday's top scripted program, averaging 14.87 million viewers. CSI: MIAMI is produced by CBS Paramount Network Television in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television. Jerry Bruckheimer, Ann Donahue, Carol Mendelsohn, Anthony E. Zuiker and Jonathan Littman are executive producers.

? CSI: NY is the Number One program in its time period in viewers and key demographics, averaging 12.87 million viewers. CSI: NY is produced by CBS Paramount Network Television in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television. Jerry Bruckheimer, Anthony E. Zuiker, Jonathan Littman, Carol Mendelsohn, Ann Donahue, Pam Veasey and Peter Lenkov are executive producers.

? GHOST WHISPERER has placed first in its Friday (8:00-9:00 PM) time period in adults 18-49 and adults 25-54 every week this season with first run episodes while averaging 9.18 million viewers. GHOST WHISPERER is produced by Sander/Moses Productions in association with ABC Studios and CBS Paramount Network Television. Ian Sander, Kim Moses, John Gray and P.K. Simonds are executive producers.

? NCIS has become a top 10 program in its fifth season, averaging 15.65 million viewers, while remaining impervious to tough reality competition including "American Idol." NCIS is produced by Belisarius Productions in association with CBS Paramount Network Television. Chas. Floyd Johnson, Shane Brennan and Donald Bellisario are executive producers.

? NUMB3RS has placed first in its time period in viewers (9.36m) and key demographics in 11 of its last 12 original broadcasts. NUMB3RS is produced by Scott Free Productions in association with CBS Paramount Network Television. Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, Ken Sanzel, David W. Zucker, Nicolas Falacci, Cheryl Heuton and Don McGill are executive producers.

? THE BIG BANG THEORY, in its freshman season, is averaging 8.36 million viewers and, with original episodes, has improved the year ago Monday (8:30-9:00 PM) time period by +15% in adults 18-49 and +5% in viewers. THE BIG BANG THEORY is produced by Warner Bros. Television. Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady and Lee Aronsohn are executive producers.

? TWO AND A HALF MEN is television's #1 comedy, averaging 13.6 million viewers. TWO AND A HALF MEN is produced by Chuck Lorre Productions, Inc. and the Tannenbaum Company, in association with Warner Bros. Television. Chuck Lorre, Lee Aronsohn, Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum, Mark Burg and Oren Koules are executive producers.

? WITHOUT A TRACE successfully returned to its Thursday (10:00-11:00 PM) time period, winning the hour with an average of 13.72 million viewers while also placing first in adults 18-49 and adults 25-54. WITHOUT A TRACE is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer Television, in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Paramount Network Television. Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman, Hank Steinberg, Greg Walker, Jan Nash and David Amann are executive producers.

Last month, CBS announced that SURVIVOR would return for its 17th and 18th editions and THE AMAZING RACE will be back with its 13th edition.

Chris
Old 02-14-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
What about How I Met Your Mother?
Old 02-14-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Cold Case," "Criminal Minds," "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "CSI: Miami," "CSI: NY," "Ghost Whisperer," "NCIS," "Numb3rs," "Two and a Half Men," "Without a Trace" and the Freshman Comedy "The Big Bang Theory" Join Previously Announced '"Survivor" and "The Amazing Race"
Allow me to translate:

CSI for Old People, CSI: Psychos, CSI: TOS, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, CS:I See Dead People, CSI: Navy, CSI: Nerds, Charlie Sheen, CSI: Missing Persons, and That Show with Kaley Cuoco have all been renewed.

das
Old 02-14-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
It better get renewed. It's the only CBS show I watch.
Old 02-14-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Allow me to translate:

and That Show with Kaley Cuoco have all been renewed.

das
You mean the sitcom version of Beauty and the Geek.
Old 02-15-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Allow me to translate:

CSI for Old People, CSI: Psychos, CSI: TOS, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, CS:I See Dead People, CSI: Navy, CSI: Nerds, Charlie Sheen, CSI: Missing Persons, and That Show with Kaley Cuoco have all been renewed.

das
So true. I am glad about "NCIS," "Two and a Half Men," and "The Big Bang Theory". Those are the only 3 I watch out of the bunch. I hope "How I Met Your Mother?" is coming back also. At least CBS has announced that the show will return March 17, 2008 with 9 new episodes.
Old 02-15-08, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Moonlight? Thought this was already announced?
Old 02-15-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the Unit get canned?
Old 02-15-08, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
It better get renewed. It's the only CBS show I watch.
Agreed. Well, that, and The Big Bang Theory.

Don't make me begin to loathe you even more than I already do CBS...
Old 02-15-08, 06:31 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Well, I for one, am pleased to see all 3 CSI's get renewed along with WAT.
Old 02-15-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Allow me to translate:

das
Nice
Old 02-15-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I only watch the original CSI out of that bunch. I'm surprised CSI:NY is still alive and kickin'.
Old 02-15-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Moonlight? Thought this was already announced?
I did too.

I hope they did!
Old 02-15-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Patiently awaiting news on How I Met Your Mother and Moonlight ...
Old 02-15-08, 10:00 AM

Here's a little more info

http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=76612

CBS Announces Early Programming Plans For 2008-2009 Season

by Wayne Friedman, Friday, Feb 15, 2008 9:00 AM ET

CBS HAS JOINED ABC IN figuring out where its programming will be next year--all to give TV marketers a head start on next season's upfront plans.

CBS will renew 11 series. Nine are one-hour scripted dramas: "Cold Case," "Criminal Minds," "CSI," "CSI: Miami," "CSI: NY," "Ghost Whisperer," "NCIS," "Numb3rs" and "Without a Trace." Two sitcoms will also get the go-ahead for 2008-2009: "Two and a Half Men" and rookie series "The Big Bang Theory."

CBS has already announced that two of its mainstay reality shows would also return--"Survivor" and "The Amazing Race."

Left in the lurch are two sitcoms and one drama, comedies "How I Met Your Mother" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine" and rookie drama "Moonlight." CBS also hasn't as yet made a decision on fan-favorite "Jericho" for 2008-2009.

Previously, CBS announced plans for the rest of this season. Its comedies "How I Met Your Mother, "Big Bang Theory," and "Two and a Half Men" will get nine episodes each for the remainder of the broadcast year. "CSI: Miami" will get 8. "Criminal Minds," "CSI: NY", and "NCIS" will have seven each. "Without a Trace," "Ghost Whisperer," "Numb3rs," and "Rules of Engagement" will have six each. "Cold Case" will have five, and "Moonlight," four.

CBS said it was not bringing back "The Unit," "Cane" or "Shark" for the rest of this season. Proposed mid-season show "Swingtown" has not found a spot on the schedule yet.

I don't think their announcement was a complete one. I don't see them cancelling The Unit, which has seen some of it's highest ratings this year.

Chris
Old 02-15-08, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
If there bringing all the cast back and writing 4 new script its a given Moonlight will be back. I hope...
Old 02-15-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Happy about Big Bang Theory. The most pleasant surprise of the season and one of the funniest shows in a long while.
Old 02-15-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Very pleased to see pretty much all the crime procedurals return. Hoping Shark manages to squeeze in there even though it's ratings were down on Sunday nights.

I believe the remaining 4 episodes of Moonlight will probably determine whether it gets a spot in the fall. But, I heard it doesn't cost alot to produce that show, so the chances are probably good for a renewal.

I just don't see Cane making it. It sank in the ratings on that Tuesday at 10pm deathslot.

As for The Unit, it's got a decent shot especially now that Shawn Ryan won't have to double dip as showrunner on this and The Shield, now that it's done.
Old 02-15-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Thats the only show I watch on CBS... I hate how every year its a guessing game if it will come back or not, despite its respectable ratings, influence on popular culture, and relative cheapness to produce
Old 02-15-08, 04:55 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Figures, the only scripted CBS show I really care about (How I Met Your Mother) is still up in the air.
Old 02-15-08, 07:17 PM

Question:

Normally, when would this "season" end typically? Obviously with the strike it will have delayed things, but when have shows in the past wrapped up their seasons?

I'm just trying to get an idea of when the new episodes will start and run until?

Obviously I realize a lot goes into the production of these shows, but was just trying to get a guesstimate.
Old 02-15-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine most of the new episodes will run in the May sweeps, from April 24 to May 21st this year, which is generally when the TV season comes to an end. Sitcoms will probably come back a few weeks earlier since they can get shows out quicker and still produce enough episodes to fill out the sweep period.
Old 02-16-08, 12:59 PM

Thanks Wes. Just another couple of months I guess then.

Not to worry, I've been catching up on everything I've had stored on the DVR so I'm sure I'll survive.
Old 02-16-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm looking forward to CBS cancelling JERICHO again...if only to watch the fanboys flip out for the second year in a row.
Old 02-16-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May sweeps actually run from the last week of April or so if I remember right. There seems to have been a trend toward most shows ending their seasons in the 3rd week of May sweeps from what I remember. Higher profile shows will then either end a week prior to that or that last week with expanded finales.

As far as The Unit goes, I worry that ratings won't be as important as Ryan's leadership role in the strike. I could totally see CBS ax the show just to spite Shawn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.