DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Joel Surnow quits as Executive Producer of 24 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/525072-joel-surnow-quits-executive-producer-24-a.html)

DJariya 02-12-08 10:18 PM

Joel Surnow quits as Executive Producer of 24

I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing. Surnow has written alot of good episodes, but most of the episodes he wrote last season sucked. Looks like Howard Gordon is the main man running the show now.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ator/800033077

From the Hollywood Reporter:

24 co-creator/executive producer Joel Surnow is leaving the Emmy-winning drama effective immediately. Surnow served as an executive producer on the first eight episodes of the strike-struck seventh season, but will not be creatively involved in the series going forward.

Though Surnow's deal with 20th Century Fox TV wasn't up until April 30, this week he asked for and was granted an early release.

"Joel created one of the landmark series of this decade in 24 and his contribution to its creative excellence over the years has been immeasurable," Fox says in a statement. "While he leaves the show in the incredibly capable hands of the talented Howard Gordon, his input will always be welcome."

hardercore 02-12-08 10:26 PM

Does this mean 24 will get good again? Hope so.

whoopdido 02-12-08 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Does this mean 24 will get good again? Hope so.

Well it can't get much worse, so by default it has to get better.

PacMan2006 02-12-08 11:26 PM

This is pretty surprising, as I believe Surnow came up with the concept of the show.

DJariya 02-12-08 11:29 PM

Surnow co-created the show with Robert Coachran. Cochran is still working on the show. But, now pretty much all creative decisions on the show will be made by Howard Gordon.

riley_dude 02-13-08 01:58 PM

Didnt he think it had enough life for 2 or 3 seasons and FOX kept milking it??

RichC2 02-13-08 02:07 PM

It's a show that has plenty of life in concept, but yeah... Season 6 was horrible.

And while the novelty of the format is still okay, it's Jack Bauer that really made the show.

Chew 02-13-08 02:11 PM

He quit so he could devote all his time to finding a single funny joke to use on The Half Hour News Hour.

Charlie Goose 02-13-08 02:58 PM

We're running out of producers!

lotsofdvds 02-14-08 09:58 AM

He was the mole.

Sparrow 02-14-08 10:00 AM

I found S5 completely unwatchable, however, does his exit signal any better writing? I sure hope so!. Changing of the guard may be a good thing in this case.

starseed1981 02-14-08 11:04 AM

Howard has been the showrunner since season 5, so for good or for worse nothing will really change.

rfduncan 02-14-08 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Howard has been the showrunner since season 5, so for good or for worse nothing will really change.

Really? I thought that Surnow's Bush-ian leanings were pretty prevalent during a lot of the run. I will be interested to see how the proceeds without him.

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Well it can't get much worse, so by default it has to get better.

I concur.
:bye:

mphtrilogy 02-14-08 12:38 PM

I think Barack Obama can attribute his great success to 24 and President David Palmer who blazed a trail as our first African American President.

I hope he invites Jack Bauer err I mean Keifer, Howard,and Surnow and of course former President Palmer himself to the inauguration.

Michael Corvin 02-14-08 12:50 PM

Mogran Freeman was the President in Deep Impact and I'm sure there have been others. Palmer was hardly the first, but was definitely the best.

As for Surnow, :shrug: as long as they bounce back from season 6 I don't care who's behind the scenes.

PacMan2006 02-14-08 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Mogran Freeman was the President in Deep Impact and I'm sure there have been others.

Like...?

DJariya 02-14-08 02:03 PM

I believe the Wayne Palmer as President fiasco was a creation of Surnow. I think it's good that he left the show. Everytime I saw an interview with him, he was so full of himself.

Doughboy 02-14-08 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Like...?

Tiny "Zeus" Lister was President of Everything in The Fifth Element. :)

hardercore 02-14-08 02:13 PM

I remember seeing an interview with him where he denied anything was wrong with Season 6 and kept talking about how great it was. It was possibly the funniest thing I'd ever seen.