Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles--"Queen's Gambit"--2/11/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe... Ummm... Ooops?

It never occurred to me that others might have skipped the preview. Although it was definitely one of those 'duh!' moments when it came on, and showed an apparently very healthy Reese. Just as the cliff-hanger faded, my wife was saying, "Oh no! I hope he makes it!" Then the preview started and she immediately said "Huh. I guess he does."
Old 02-12-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Josh Friedman, the creator of the show, posted a blog yesterday about the show. Lots of interesting notes about the show, especially since he has been MIA from the show because of the strike.

http://sarahconnor.wetpaint.com/page/Producer%27s+Blog

February 11, 2008

WE’RE BACK.

When the writer’s strike started fourteen weeks ago, Executive Producer John Wirth and I decided to cease performing our Executive Producer duties. I won’t speak for John but as for me, this was a painful choice. I could have continued doing the non-writing aspects of my job. But I was and am a writer first so I chose to leave.

In doing so, John and I left James Middleton, our tireless friend and consulting producer, to balance an elephant on his nose without the aid of a peanut. (By the way, consulting producer suggests he has had someone to consult with since the strike began, or that others might be consulting with him. Truth is, we have left him completely alone. James has been the ONLY producer of this show for the entire strike.)

James oversaw the editing, mixing, effects, and music of every episode after the pilot. He has done every interview, confronted every problem, placed and answered every phone call, gotten up early and stayed up late. He has done a job that was previously being handled by three of us, and as far as I’m concerned he has done it better.

If you love the show, say a special thank you to James. If you don’t love the show, it’s all my fault. John and I love the show. So we’ll say a special thank you to James:

A special thank you to James.

I have assiduously avoided promoting this show during the strike but I want all of you to know it is not for lack of interest or passion. I have been lurking on your chatrooms, bookmarking your websites, reading your reviews, and otherwise acting like a dad spying on his kid during freshman orientation week at college. Not that my dad did that (as far as I know) and not that I will do that (as far as you know).

As anyone who knows me can attest, my self-imposed silent treatment has been extremely painful; it is VERY DIFFICULT for me to keep my mouth shut.

Please be assured that I am VERY familiar with the rules of time travel as explained by Kyle Reese in the first movie. When Cromartie’s head goes through the time bubble, THERE IS FLESH ON IT. If you can’t see it, that’s because a) it’s burning off very quickly and b) certain people don’t like it when we show burning flesh, cyborg or not.

(Historical note: The first person to ask me this head/bubble question was Jared in Props--a year ago while we were shooting the pilot.)

I would also like to mention that anyone who thinks Lena Headey isn’t big enough or tough enough to play Sarah Connor has not had the unpleasant surprise of been punched by her. I have—and I can only hope that someday each and every one of her doubters can experience her qualifications in this very clear and personal way.

This week’s episode is called “Queen’s Gambit.” It was written by Natalie Chaidez, a refugee from Heroes who, despite her small stature, is definitely the writer on our staff whom I would least want to get into a fistfight with. When we began shooting this episode Natalie expressed a great dissatisfaction for the number of times in previous episodes Sarah Connor had been seen in her trademark tank top. I think we make up for it in this one.

This episode includes what may be my favorite Cameron moment to date. I won’t say what it is but it’s freaking big…

As tempting as it is to download everything I’ve been pondering the last four months, I think I’ll wrap up this first Joshblog now. On behalf of all of the writers, I’d like to thank everybody for watching the show—we know that we’re caretakers of a franchise that many of you love and we’re trying to handle it with all the passion and geekness that you would if it was you.

We’d also like to thank you for your support these last fourteen weeks—many of you came out and walked picket lines with us, or sent us emails, or just bitched online about how much you missed your shows. It meant a lot to us. The ability to broadcast on the public airways is a superpower that should only be used for the good of the people. Thanks for reminding our industry of that.

Take Back the Future.

Josh Friedman
Old 02-12-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I would assume you recognize her as Penny from Lost?

Not

Penny's

Bot
Old 02-12-08, 08:42 PM
Cool New Member

So, it doesn't sound like Josh is pessimistic about the show being canceled unless he can't say one way or the other. Hopefully, it's a good sign.

Now start writing more about Cameron... if he's been reading the forums then he should know that Cameron is the new Data. Everyone is intrigued about AI stuff and how it relates to the human condition. It holds a mirror up to ourselves and asks: what does it mean to be human, to be alive?

She's the main reason people are tuning in.
Old 02-12-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also like to mention that anyone who thinks Lena Headey isn’t big enough or tough enough to play Sarah Connor has not had the unpleasant surprise of been punched by her. I have—and I can only hope that someday each and every one of her doubters can experience her qualifications in this very clear and personal way.
If she is so tough, how come they never showed any full body shots of her doing chin ups? I kept imagining her standing on a box off camera.
Old 02-12-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
If she is so tough, how come they never showed any full body shots of her doing chin ups? I kept imagining her standing on a box off camera.
Yeah, but at least she was going to full extension, which is more than I can say for 99% of the pull-ups on tv/movies (Im talking to you Fresh Prince!!) ... Anyways, sounds like he's well aware of things going on in the show.
Old 02-12-08, 11:41 PM

I agree with the sentiment that this show is slowly getting quite good. Sure, it's a bit stupid at times, but what do you really expect from a Terminator TV series? They've done a good job making the series "movie-like". I particularly like the music.
Old 02-13-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Cameron talking to the grief counselor

Getting rid of the Andy character

Making a mystery of the Andy offing

Making Reese a relative Seemed too contrived to me
Old 02-13-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Cameron talking to the grief counselor

Getting rid of the Andy character

Making a mystery of the Andy offing

Making Reese a relative

Fixed. (at least by my opinion )

-Doc
Old 02-13-08, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Decent ep

I loved when she imitated the dead girl in "grief counseling".
That had me bursting out laughing because it was so unexpected. That was some good acting on her part.

Chris
Old 02-13-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I agree this was much better than last weeks. I really enjoyed it, several good lines. I did think the chess match was stupid as hell though. Why did the humans have to sit there and move actual pieces?!
Old 02-13-08, 12:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
That had me bursting out laughing because it was so unexpected. That was some good acting on her part.

Chris
Was it her own voice, or was she actually reproducing the voice of the dead girl? I thought it was the latter, and thought "gee, that was, um, kind of an uncalled for and stupid way to draw attention to, and expose yourself."
Old 02-13-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Was it her own voice, or was she actually reproducing the voice of the dead girl? I thought it was the latter, and thought "gee, that was, um, kind of an uncalled for and stupid way to draw attention to, and expose yourself."
It was her own voice but with the exact inflection of Jordan. Hey, the guys asked her what Jordan said to her in the bathroom. Cameron is a machine and therefore took the question very literally.
Old 02-13-08, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
It was her own voice but with the exact inflection of Jordan. Hey, the guys asked her what Jordan said to her in the bathroom. Cameron is a machine and therefore took the question very literally.
It's almost something a child would do, if they had that ability.

Chris
Old 02-13-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think what I like the most is it's heading in the right direction. Reese, the EMT (I forget his name), the FBI agent, those are all potential allies for them to bring down Skynet before it starts.

I think we will soon discover that the FBI agent has been a believer all along and he will be one of the Connors' best allies. I will bet you that he pockets the 888 hand he found so the others do not see it.

((I don't watch the previews and did not expect Reese to live, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us! ))
Old 02-13-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Feneant
((I don't watch the previews and did not expect Reese to live, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us! ))
Don't worry, all we know is he survived that bullet. There's no guarantee that he'll actually make it through the entire episode if that makes you feel better.
Old 02-14-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Making Reese a relative

Fixed. (at least by my opinion )

-Doc
That's fine. I know it's not wildly improbable that he could have a brother who was fighting alongside him and would be entrusted with the mission, but it just didn't work for me.
Old 02-14-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
That's fine. I know it's not wildly improbable that he could have a brother who was fighting alongside him and would be entrusted with the mission, but it just didn't work for me.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I'm a nerd for this kind of thing.

When (Wire Spoiler)
Spoiler:
Munch showed up in The Wire,
for example, I giggled and applauded. So having baby bro Reese show up and join the team is the next best thing to having a 20-years-younger Kyle show up in a duster with a sawed-off.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 02-14-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 02:38 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I'm a nerd for this kind of thing.

When (Wire Spoiler)
Spoiler:
Munch showed up in The Wire,
for example, I giggled and applauded. So having baby bro Reese show up and joing the team is the next best thing to having a 20-years-younger Kyle show up in a duster with a sawed-off.

-Doc
What part of the wire does that spoil? I want to know whether I can read it or not

Something I was just thinking about is bothering me. There is a really good chance I could be wrong so please correct me if I am. When they all suspected Reese of killing Andy, Cameron mentioned that Reese's mission was to wait for the Conner's right? If this is true then Reese SHOULD have known Cameron was not a threat for one because how else would she know what the mission was . AND Sarah Conner is supposed to be dead from Cancer, so wouldn't Reese have thought it a little odd that she was still alive? Unless both the resistance fighters and Cameron knew about each others mission these events should have never taken place the way they did. There is something fucked with the continuity here, or I'm making shit up in my head, but I'm not sure which.
Old 02-14-08, 02:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did she say Reeses brother was waiting for John or specifically him AND his mom

he could have just been told to 'establish a stronghold and make contact with John when he arrives'

Last edited by Save Ferris; 02-14-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 02:47 PM

Maybe so dude but he doesn't act suprised at all to see her alive, seemed wierd to me. Plus Cameron knows his mission, but he acts like she's the enemy.
Old 02-14-08, 02:49 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reeses brother did his 'acting surprised' off camera. He knew she was there since the day the 888 killed his team, a week earlier (he recognized her right away).
Old 02-14-08, 02:54 PM

Yeah but he doesn't even give us a "you're supposed to be dead" or anything :S I'm missing something obviously.
Old 02-14-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What part of the wire does that spoil? I want to know whether I can read it or not
If you've seen the most recent episode to be put on-demand ("Took" - which airs in its regular spot this Sunday the 17th) then you're fine. Either way it's not a huge spoiler and it (so far) has absolutely no relavence to the plot, it was just a little nod to fans of police procedurals that I'm glad I didn't know about it advance.

Yeah but he doesn't even give us a "you're supposed to be dead" or anything :S I'm missing something obviously.
Haven't the creators already said this this show acts as if T3 never happened (a la Superman Returns destroying - thankfully - Supes 3 & 4)?

-Doc
Old 02-14-08, 06:13 PM

Haven't the creators already said this this show acts as if T3 never happened (a la Superman Returns destroying - thankfully - Supes 3 & 4)?
Well Cameron tells Sarah in this series a couple episodes back that she (Sarah) Dies from cancer in like 2005.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.