Breaking Bad -- "I See You" -- 05/09/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Breaking Bad -- "I See You" -- 05/09/10

Synopsis:
Spoiler:

The family waits for news about Hank. While Jesse covers at the lab, Walt attempts to placate Gus. After witnessing a disturbing outburst, Walt worries he and his family are in danger.
Old 05-09-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Breaking Bad -- "I See You" -- 05/09/10

This is episode 8 of 13.

For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, here's the BB criminal aptitude test.
Old 05-09-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

The waiting between episodes is killer. Excited for tonight's episode and then will go through withdrawal for the rest of the week.

BB is my meth.
Old 05-09-10, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this week's somehow manages to top last week's I'm going to need to change my pants for all kinds of different reasons.
Old 05-09-10, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema
If this week's somehow manages to top last week's I'm going to need to change my pants for all kinds of different reasons.
Be smart next week, get a package of Depends from Costco before the show airs.

This week rivaled the episode of Tuco's death as the best in the series, imo.
Old 05-09-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy shit. I could barely breathe for the last half hour.

Gus is every bit the coldblooded motherfucker we all thought he was.

Incredible episode.
Old 05-09-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Line of the night:

"He's coming in personally!"
Old 05-09-10, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Line of the night:

"He's coming in personally!"
I don't know, I liked, "So roll me another 20 feet, bitch!"
Old 05-09-10, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the scenes of Jesse passing time in the lab.
Old 05-09-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This episode was just fantastic. Such a contrast to last week's episode, but just as good. This show never disappoints.

Walt (Classical) was sort of getting Gale (Jazz) to understand why they couldn't continue to work together, and then Jesse (Hip Hop) comes in...that was awesome. Jesse was too funny in the lab by himself playing with all the equipment.

This episode just goes to show that Gus is the most dangerous person on the show. The last scene was very well done...his sinister half-smile when he heard the shooting. I knew as soon as Gus showed up that we'd see Mike (The Cleaner) again; his character is all kinds of awesome. Gus is just so scary because on the surface he is a nice guy that wants nothing more than to help out and protect his community, but deep down he is a methodical, manipulative, cold-blooded killer. He never gets his hands dirty, but he has his hand in everything that goes down. I think Walt is slowly starting to realize just how dangerous getting on Gus' bad side could be.

I think this is the first time in a long while that Walt came across as a nice guy. Sure, he was worried about himself and his family and how all of this might blow back on him, but I think he was genuinely concerned about Hank. I think he is slowly starting to realize just how bad a person he is...that Hank really is the good guy in all of this.

That scene where the Cousin threw himself out of bed and crawled toward Walt was pretty creepy...

I wonder Jesse will be suspects of being involved with the hit on Hank? I think it was clear that the DEA assumed it had nothing to do with Jesse, but I think Hank will, correctly, believe there is more to it than meets the eye.

The previews for next week confused the hell out of me...I have no idea what is going on or what's going to happen.

Last edited by kstublen; 05-09-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And for those of you who, like me, cannot wait another week for more Breaking Bad, here is the sneak peak of next week's episode:

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1119352258" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=83695465001&playerId=1119352258&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="440" height="373" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 05-09-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I wonder if they let Gale live and just walk away, knowing all he knows.

Loved the look Skyler gave Walt when he tried to cover up his phone call from Jesse at the hospital, even when he didn't really need to.

Superb episode. Seemed to wrap one part up and I can't wait to see where they go next.
Old 05-09-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Chicken Man don't play!
Old 05-09-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The twin crawling was a nice callback to the crawling townspeople in the first episode of this season.
Old 05-09-10, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The twin crawling was a nice callback to the crawling townspeople in the first episode of this season.
Another callback was Gus snapping the phone in half after the call to Mexico, the same thing that Better Call Saul did after his assistant's phone call to Hank's cell phone.
Old 05-09-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

That's because they were using burners (disposable cell phones) and were destroying them so they couldn't be traced. Same thing happened on The Wire (but there they smashed them).
Old 05-09-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I didn't care for this episode.

There wasn't anything wrong with it - there was just way too much awkwardness and uncomfortableness, making it something that I really just wanted to fast-forward through.
Old 05-09-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
...I think this is the first time in a long while that Walt came across as a nice guy. Sure, he was worried about himself and his family and how all of this might blow back on him, but I think he was genuinely concerned about Hank. I think he is slowly starting to realize just how bad a person he is...that Hank really is the good guy in all of this...
It's finally getting through Walt's thick head what a dangerous profession he's gotten himself into. When he thought he had a death sentence, he acted recklessly without caring for his safety. Now he knows that it's not just him, but the people he loves that are in danger.

Gus obviously thinks the money he can make with Walt is worth some serious risks (working with Jessie the junkie, murdering a patient in a hospital with dozens of DEA agents around). Walt is going to have his hands full trying to outmaneuver Gus.
Old 05-09-10, 11:37 PM

I love the double meaning in the title & I was glad to see The Cleaner back. Not as action-packed as last week, but I tend to think that's a good thing at this point in the season. I'm always a bigger fan of the slow build than of nonstop action.

EDIT - Also, if they're subtly hinting that Walter Jr. has some ambition to become a DEA agent, I think that would be absolutely brilliant and create all kinds of new awkwardness for Walt.

Last edited by yourlocalcinema; 05-10-10 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Walt (Classical) was sort of getting Gale (Jazz) to understand why they couldn't continue to work together, and then Jesse (Hip Hop) comes in...that was awesome.
I loved that scene. Complete with the line "It's all shiny up in this bitch!"
Old 05-10-10, 09:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought last nights episode was 1/2 filler. I was bored just watching everyone sit around the hospital, etc.

The only momentum the show had was the Chicken Man scenes.
Old 05-10-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also felt that it was kinda filler. A Breaking Bad quality filler of course. So it wasn't boring for me. I really liked, but can't compare it with the two previous episodes where I was changing my underwear every 5 minutes. No need to change my underwear last night.

Gus was great of course, since he started talking in English only you knew he was going to do something to his Mexican partners. He knows the border protects him ad I'm sure he has allies in both sides of the border.

I really hope Breaking Bad stays Breaking Bad and don't make the fall of Gus a dumb thing. Actually I can't see how he can fall. It would be really great if he continues with his business even after Walt dies at the end of the series. That would be a Breaking Bad ending.

Also, I could watch an hour of Jesse saying sarcastic sentences ending them with "bitch"!
(I thought I would get tired of that but not.)
Old 05-10-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Gus turned a shit situation into a masterful push for power.

Turn the twins onto a DEA agent

Have 'The Cleaner' warn the agent right before the attack (no doubt in my mind that if Hank didnt get those guys the cleaner would have mopped up in the parking lot)

Border gets locked down for the foreseeable future in a political reaction to cartel members attacking a US law enforcement agent

Have 400 lbs of meth in your pocket while NONE is coming in from Mexico

Apply pressure to the Mexican police to turn a 'for show' federal police action against the Mexican cartel into a full shootout

DRUG KINGPIN on a Escobar scale in plain sight
Old 05-10-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.

Gus pulled all that off. I was loving how the things that may have appeared to be random circumstance at first glance were revealed to be a plan coming together so nicely. All his enemies dead, his tracks covered pirate style, he corners the market with the best stuff, and let's his new man know he knows everything about him and his family.

Too cool.

Great episode.
Old 05-10-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I really hope Breaking Bad stays Breaking Bad and don't make the fall of Gus a dumb thing. Actually I can't see how he can fall. It would be really great if he continues with his business even after Walt dies at the end of the series. That would be a Breaking Bad ending.
Agreed, he's getting to be like The Greek from The Wire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.