DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What's the link between The Wire and Law and Order? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/524504-whats-link-between-wire-law-order.html)

rocketsauce 02-06-08 02:30 PM

What's the link between The Wire and Law and Order?

I've been watching various newer episodes of Law and Order (All three iterations) and I've noticed quite a few Wire actors making cameos. Is there some connection with the two shows? It seems like it isn't a coincidence. I've seen the characters Michael, Carver, and Rawls so far. I've just started watching Law and Order again so I might have missed some, plus Carver was in a brand new episode.

Palaver 02-06-08 03:19 PM

I've also wondered the connection between L&O and most HBO productions. I see many actors from Oz, Sopranos, and Six Feet Under on some form of L&O.

DVD Josh 02-06-08 03:30 PM

I don't see how. L&O takes place in New York, Wire in Baltimore.

NitroJMS 02-06-08 03:36 PM

Probably not so much a link, but more in the fact that Law and Order uses available actors who live in the New York area. So if The Wire is being shot nearby, its not unlikely to share some actors. You'll notice alot of Broadway actors are frequently guest stars on the various Law and Orders.

rocketsauce 02-06-08 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

I'm no law enforcement official but maybe they were granted some special sort of jurisdiction extension to work cases in NY?

RichC2 02-06-08 04:11 PM

Law and Order stars every actor ever. It just happened to get to the (unemployed??) Wire cast and crew.

rocketsauce 02-06-08 04:15 PM

maybe it just happened that i saw these three episodes in a two week period that made me think there was a correlation

Tscott 02-06-08 04:24 PM

Homicide / Law & Order had several cross overs when they were both on the air. Detective Munch crossed over permanently to one of the L&O shows after Homicide was canceled. The Wire is made by many of the same people that were involved on Homicide. Volia!

Crizzar 02-09-08 03:17 AM

Dick Wolf also has the cash to pay for quality actors like those in the HBO pool. One of my favorites was Bunk showing up as a civil rights attorney.

I get more tripped up when L&O actors get shuffled around between the shows. Annie Parisse played a stripper/hooker a couple seasons before she came back as Borgia. That was weird.

rocketsauce 02-12-08 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tscott
Homicide / Law & Order had several cross overs when they were both on the air. Detective Munch crossed over permanently to one of the L&O shows after Homicide was canceled. The Wire is made by many of the same people that were involved on Homicide. Volia!

Ok that makes some sense. Presbulewski (sp?) was in this past weeks episode of Law & Order so I figured it's past just being a coincidence.

mwbmis 02-12-08 05:05 PM

And Detective Munch makes his first Wire appearance (in cameo) in next Sunday's episode (available now ON Demand).

Michael Corvin 02-12-08 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
And Detective Munch makes his first Wire appearance (in cameo) in next Sunday's episode (available now ON Demand).

:lol: What is that now? 8 different shows Munch has been on?

Doc MacGyver 02-13-08 11:02 AM

Munch! You magnificent bastard! Still dwelling on that bar, eh? Ha, that was awesome.

-Doc

alfredog1976 02-13-08 11:33 AM

I remember Omar coming out (no pun intended) last season in SVU as a pimp and Bubbles in CI.

mwbmis 02-13-08 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Munch! You magnificent bastard! Still dwelling on that bar, eh? Ha, that was awesome.

-Doc

What I thought was great about that cameo was that he was talking about the bar as Gus made his way in to talk to Santagelo and Mello. Of course, Gus is played by Clark Johnson who as Meldrick Lewis was co-owner of the bar.

thx-1138 02-02-10 04:15 PM

Re: What's the link between The Wire and Law and Order?

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 8484832)

I believe that New York is a three hour commute from Baltimore.

whotony 02-02-10 04:23 PM

Brilliant!!!!!1111!!!!!1!1

whotony 02-02-10 04:26 PM

Also no listing here for the Wire so it didn't happen.

http://www.poobala.com/crossoverlist.html

Michael T Hudson 02-02-10 04:35 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Munch

CharlieK 02-02-10 04:47 PM

When talking about all of the stage actors appearing in L&O, Dick Wolf said that if an actor doesn't have a L&O show next to their name in Playbill, they're either brand new or they suck.

thx-1138 02-02-10 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce (Post 8484651)
I've been watching various newer episodes of Law and Order (All three iterations) and I've noticed quite a few Wire actors making cameos. Is there some connection with the two shows? It seems like it isn't a coincidence. I've seen the characters Michael, Carver, and Rawls so far. I've just started watching Law and Order again so I might have missed some, plus Carver was in a brand new episode.

Having become a major fan of The Wire and all Law and Orders over the years, I will say that you would be hard pressed to find a Wire actor the HAS NOT been of a Law and Order. All three of the Soboka, Beadie Russel, Niemond, Clay Davis, Rawls, Herc, Burrell, Bunk, Landsman,Daniels, Omar,Marlo, Chris Partlow, Bunny Colvin, Royce, Wee-Bey, D"Angelo and his mother, Judge Phelan, and so on.My mother and I have what I like the call a Wire alert whenever one of the shows. There was also another Baltimore-based series called The Corner that I saw only on episode of. Of note, there were several Wire people on that show.
Check out imdb.com and look up the wire for further info

Nefarious 02-02-10 10:47 PM

There have been three former Wire peeps on The Office.

B. Russell
Stringer
Editor from newspaper (name escapes me right now)

majorjoe23 02-02-10 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9978383)
There have been three former Wire peeps on The Office.

B. Russell
Stringer
Editor from newspaper (name escapes me right now)

http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/g...holly-flax.jpg