Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

At The Movies with Ebert & Roeper--Worst Films of 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
At The Movies with Ebert & Roeper--Worst Films of 2007

Two films made it onto both of their lists.

Richard Roeper's List

10. Perfect Strangers
9. Rush Hour 3
8. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
7. The Reaping
6. License To Wed
5. Good Luck Chuck
4. Southland Tales
3. Norbit
2. Bratz
1. I Know Who Killed Me

Michael Phillips' List (Chicago Tribune Film Critic)

10. Ocean's Thirteen
9. The Number 23
8. Wild Hogs
7. Lars And The Real Girl
6. Because I Said So
5. The Heartbreak Kid
4. Good Luck Chuck
3. Bratz
2. Shoot 'Em Up
1. Hostel: Part II
Old 01-13-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the good news is that I didn't bother to see any of those listed.
Old 01-13-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Ocean's Thirteen? He may not have liked the movie, but one of the ten worst? That is hard to believe considering all of the shit that comes out every year.
Old 01-13-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Ocean's Thirteen? He may not have liked the movie, but one of the ten worst? That is hard to believe considering all of the shit that comes out every year.
I agree - that is a very odd pick, especially in a year with a number of truly awful movies. Heck, the soundtrack alone, one of the best of the year, is reason enough for Ocean's Thirteen to not be on any "Worst of the Year" lists.

And, in the show, Roeper (even though he recommended it) then said it was the worst of the Ocean's movies, which also isn't true (Ocean's Twelve is the bottom of the Ocean's movie barrel by far).
Old 01-13-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Michael Phillips (I think it was him) commented during the review of Southland Tales that Roeper shouldn't be down on audacious smaller flicks. He should be hating on big budget hollywood movies that are sold to the masses that aren't necessarily badly made but are just flat out bad movies. And followed with Shoot 'em up as an example.

I know what he's getting at, and kind of agree, but I actually like Shoot 'em up, a lot, so yeah screw that .
Old 01-13-08, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot 'Em Up
Hostel: Part II
Southland Tales
Ocean's Thirteen
The Heartbreak Kid
Very surprised to see these films on the lists.
I enjoyed all of these.
Old 01-13-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say that seeing this list makes me think there must have been too few really bad films this year. I have seen barely anything (literally about 6 films all year), but I agree that a lot of the worst films listed were ones people I know who don't have bad taste in films saw and enjoyed.
Old 01-13-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Thanks to the whole reviewing gig, I've seen more of the movies on Roeper's list than I'd like to admit -- I Know Who Killed Me, Norbit, License to Wed, and The Reaping -- and each and every one of those would be on my 10 worst of the year list as well.

Of Phillips' list, I've only caught The Heartbreak Kid, Hostel Part II, and Ocean's Thirteen (again, reviewing is to blame). I wasn't an overwhelmingly big fan of any of those, but I'd say the first two are more mediocre than aggressively bad, and I think Ocean's landed pretty much where Soderbergh and company aimed.
Old 01-13-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been a very strange year for movies. A lot of people say nothing good has come out, I say they weren't looking hard enough. It seems like more quality, maybe not quite outstanding, movies came out in '07. Not as many standouts, but generally a very good year, save for the threequels (Pirates, Shrek, and Spidey).
Old 01-13-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm surprised "Hitman" was in neither list.
Old 01-13-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing with Hitman is it's instantly forgettable. It's one of those bad movies you don't remember for being bad because you just, simply, don't remember it.
Old 01-13-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
No way Ocean's 13, The Heartbreak Kid or I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry are the worst movies of the year. They may not be great, but they were exactly what they were supposed to be.
Old 01-13-08, 03:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I too enjoyed "Ocean's 13" and "The Heartbreak Kid," the only two I've seen on these lists.
Old 01-13-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Franchot
Michael Phillips' List (Chicago Tribune Film Critic)
7. Lars And The Real Girl
Wow.
Yeah, just wow, that was on my Top 10 list for the year.
Old 01-13-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
I really don't understand why shoot em up would be on anyone's worst list. It's some of the most fun I had at the movies last year.
Old 01-14-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoyed Lars And The Real Girl ... and so did the other 3 people in my theater.
Old 01-14-08, 03:51 AM
Banned

Poor Mandy Moore. She does have (some) more talent than what's showing in the crappy scripts she's agreeing to do.

There were plenty of worse movies out there, but all worst/best lists are subjective, and usually have some sort of agenda/spin from the critic making it, like what Phillips was obviously doing.

Plus, there seems to have been a massive increase in films that don't have advance screenings for critics, like Date Movie, Epic Movie, anything directed by Uwe Boll, anything starring Rob Schneider. Hell, how many movies in a row did Oscar-winner Nicolas Cage not have advanced screenings for? So unless the critic sees one of these movies on his own time or his/her respective boss is willing to pay for a late review, you'll never see Dungeon Siege on next year's notable worst lists.
Old 01-14-08, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicolas Cage definitely had a rough streak there: Wicker Man, Ghost Rider, and Next. Plus he was in the the worst of the Grindhouse fake trailers.
Even though it wasn't reviewed very well, I'm glad National Treasure 2 was a hit for him.
Old 01-14-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Shoot'em Up. It was a blast.
Old 01-14-08, 09:42 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I loved Ocean's...why no love.

Shoot'em Up is one of those movies, either you get it or you don't. And clearly they didn't get it. But I am not going to slam them for not liking it.

Hostel II was awesome. Maybe it is me, but I saw both Hostels and saw something deeper than the gore on screen. I preferred the second one more, but I thought it was solid.

Lars & Southland looked cool, but neither played by me. I can't fault Rush Hour 3, since it is a popcorn flick and I enjoyed the first two. #23 looked interesting, but it did look like it was going to be a film that insulted me when it was finished. I have that on the to be watched pile, so I will not judge it yet.

All the others on the list told me everything I need to know from the trailers.
Old 01-14-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of Ebert and Shoot 'em up, at least he "got it":

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...709060304/1023

That I liked "Shoot 'em Up" is a consequence of a critical quirk I sometimes notice: I may disapprove of a movie for going too far, and yet have a sneaky regard for a movie that goes much, much farther than merely too far. This one goes so far, if you even want to get that far, you have to start half-way there, which means you have to be a connoisseur of the hard-boiled action genre and its serio-comic subdivision (or sub-basement).
Old 01-14-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I really enjoyed The Reaping. Nothing earth shaking, but I enjoyed it.
Old 01-14-08, 11:54 AM

I saw Heartbreak Kid, License to Wed, Because I said so, and Chuck and Larry and I agree with them being really bad. It was hard to sit through them.

Saw Oceans 13 and really enjoyed it. Not sure why out of all the movies out there that this made his list. I also enjoyed Wild Hogs somewhat, it took a stupid turn with the rival gangs, but had some enjoyable moments.
Old 01-14-08, 12:12 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by RichC2
Speaking of Ebert and Shoot 'em up, at least he "got it":

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...709060304/1023
That is an excellent review...that pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-15-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
Poor Mandy Moore. She does have (some) more talent than what's showing in the crappy scripts she's agreeing to do.
I don't know, I think she's a rather bad actor so it's no surprise that she ends up in rather bad movies (these may be the only scripts offered to her). She's like the opposite of Keanu Reeves - while Keanu is a bad actor because of underacting, Mandy Moore is a bad actor because of overacting. (Someone really needs to tell her that there's more to acting than just making exaggerated faces.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.