Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ABC gets hit with 1.4 million dollar fine from the FCC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC gets hit with 1.4 million dollar fine from the FCC

Old 01-26-08, 12:24 PM
  #1  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,859
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ABC gets hit with 1.4 million dollar fine from the FCC

For the NYPD Blue episode from 5 years ago where Theo walked in on Connie getting into the shower (Charlotte Ross )


Nudity may cost ABC $1.4 million

From Times Wire Services
January 26, 2008

The Federal Communications Commission said Friday that it planned to fine Walt Disney Co.'s ABC network $1.4 million for airing an episode of "NYPD Blue" in 2003 that showed a woman's nude buttocks.

The company said it opposed the fine and planned to appeal.

The FCC said it was seeking $27,500 for each of 52 stations in the Central and Mountain time zones that aired the scene in the 9 to 10 p.m. time slot in violation of federal restrictions against broadcasting "obscene material" between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

The agency has waged a battle against broadcast indecency under Chairman Kevin J. Martin. In October 2006, Congress authorized a tenfold increase in such fines. Broadcasters' use of public airwaves subjects them to more regulation than cable channels.

The FCC said it received "numerous complaints" about the scene, in which a young boy walks in on a nude woman about to take a shower.

Stations in the Eastern and Pacific zones won't be fined because they aired the episode in the 10 to 11 p.m. slot, local time.

ABC said in a statement that it had broadcast the episode and others from the police drama, which ran from 1993 to 2005, with appropriate parental warnings and with V-chip-enabled program ratings when they were available.

"ABC feels strongly that the FCC's finding is inconsistent with prior precedent from the commission, the indecency statute and the 1st Amendment," network spokeswoman Julie Hoover said.

"The law is simple," FCC Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate said. "If a broadcaster makes the decision to show indecent programming, it must air between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. This is neither difficult to understand nor burdensome to implement.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...1,697784.story
It took them 5 years to decide this
Old 01-26-08, 12:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, what?
Its a-okay on the East and West Coast, but not in the Central and Mountain - that's just dumb.
Old 01-26-08, 12:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,687
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Oh for the love of..........

That was a great scene.
Old 01-26-08, 12:50 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 6,457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's absurd, and I hope ABC has the guts to fight this vigorously, even if it costs them more than $1.4 million to do so.
Old 01-26-08, 01:21 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evidently people in Mountain and Central time don't take showers naked and were appalled at the sight.
Old 01-26-08, 01:22 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
wewantflair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mastic, NY
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a more compelling reason to dissolve the FCC than this?
Old 01-26-08, 01:27 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 60,825
Received 358 Likes on 268 Posts
I vaguely remember that scene and I thought it was pretty funny.

The show had a fucking parental discretion disclaimer before episode and warned about partial nudity! Isn't that enough! The FCC needs to get the bat out of their asses.
Old 01-26-08, 01:52 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,569
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
its okay to show people getting killed but you show a few seconds of natural nudity you're going straight to hell!
Old 01-26-08, 01:55 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sand Point
Posts: 2,249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since Central and Mountain primetime is always an hour before Pacific and Eastern, by this ruling shouldn't they be able to fine ABC for EVERY NAKED BUTT on NYPD Blue from David Caruso to Sherry Stringfield to Amy Brenneman to Jimmy Smits to Kim Delany to Sharon Lawrence to John Wesley Shipp to... Dennis Franz?

This is more than stupid.
Old 01-26-08, 02:14 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 34,299
Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
its okay to show people getting killed but you show a few seconds of natural nudity you're going straight to hell!
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.
Old 01-26-08, 02:17 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More culture of fear...
Violence scares people - see it enough on tv people get in the back of their head that it could happen to them - and thus we are constantly reminded "why we need [the government]"
Naked women make people happy - see it enough on tv and people will start to think they might have some fun in the shower too. We don't need the government to make that happen.
Old 01-26-08, 03:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear FCC,

Fuck you, you fucking fucks.

Sincerely,
Planet Earth
Old 01-26-08, 03:17 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,058
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.
I disagree with that logic entirely, since this is exactly flipped in Europe (where sex is okay and violence is not). It's due to cultural taboos.
Old 01-26-08, 03:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is....so fucking stupid.

How did we get to be so fucking uptight? Wait, don't answer that.
Old 01-26-08, 03:46 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,687
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.

I don't buy this explanation. If there was a Skinamax-style simulated sex act on network television with the key body parts not exposed to the camera, the fantasy argument wouldn't apply - there would be an uproar by the prudes.
Old 01-26-08, 04:00 PM
  #16  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A brief ass shot that took place 5 years ago from a show that isn't even on anymore. Truly essential work, FCC.
Old 01-26-08, 04:08 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 3,393
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.
So, you think they could get away with having computer-generated people engaged in hardcore sex on network tv, as long as they had a disclaimer saying it was all fantasy/computer generated?

I don't think so.
Old 01-26-08, 04:28 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Dear FCC,

Fuck you, you fucking fucks.

Sincerely,
Planet Earth
I am going to have to fine you 1 BILLION internet dollars.

Note one internet dollar has a value equal to 1/10000000000 US dollars.
Old 01-26-08, 04:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,050
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Evidently people in Mountain and Central time don't take showers naked and were appalled at the sight.
There are dozens of us! DOZENS!
Old 01-26-08, 04:36 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FCC decision says the fine is because "obscenity" isn't allowed between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. Since when is a bare ass in a nonsexual situation "obscene"?

Originally Posted by Draven
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.
Using that logic then, explicit but simulated sex scenes would be OK because the sex isn't real. So, the average Skinamax movie is OK for primetime.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
How did we get to be so fucking uptight? Wait, don't answer that.
I disagree with the "we" part of it. The U.S. is, however, filled with busybodies who think they know what's best for the rest of us.
Old 01-26-08, 04:43 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,687
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I disagree with the "we" part of it. The U.S. is, however, filled with busybodies who think they know what's best for the rest of us.

The problem is the inherent setup of the FCC. They hear complaints and act. Nobody (the majority) is going to write them to say they approve of nudity or violence or whatever on television. Therefore, they are only hearing from the prudes who disapprove of something and in the internet era with the Parents Television Council making it easy for people to fill in form-letter-complaints, it's gotten to be re-goddamn-diculous.
Old 01-26-08, 04:51 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what I don't get -- there have been several court rulings that have explicitly said that the buttocks do not count as genetalia. How can anything in this video count as nudity???



I mean, sure, it is hot, but...
Old 01-26-08, 04:53 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,728
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Stations in the Eastern and Pacific zones won't be fined because they aired the episode in the 10 to 11 p.m. slot, local time.
This is what's silly about this. East and West coast get a pass only because they showed the episode at 10.

It is weird that the Moutain and Central zones air episodes an hour earlier. Why do they do that? Not that I am complaining.
Old 01-26-08, 05:06 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,709
Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Violence on network TV is fake - no one is actually getting hurt. It's just special effects. Nudity is real. I mean, the boobs might be fake but it ain't no special effect.

Simply, that actor is not really getting shot, but that actress is actually naked. So one is reality, the other is fantasy.

It's stupid, but I have always thought that's the subconscious distinction.

This is a ridiculous post. While you are correct in your reasoning, it still doesn't explain away the FCC's ridiculous double standard when it comes to violence and nudity on television. What a fucking worthless waste of taxpayer money to have the morality police investigating stuff like this.
Old 01-26-08, 05:12 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Richland,WA
Posts: 1,497
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Here's what I don't get -- there have been several court rulings that have explicitly said that the buttocks do not count as genetalia. How can anything in this video count as nudity???



I mean, sure, it is hot, but...

Wow I don't watch much TV anymore but Wow!!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.