Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Moment of Truth

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show is just dirty and underhanded. Once it became clear that she didn't give a hoot about preserving her marriage, they come up with a vague/fuzzy/opinion question, in order to avoid paying her. "Do you think you are a good person?" What the hell kind of polygraph question is that? The least they could have done was given her some Dr. Phil coupons or something.
Old 02-25-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys
I'd rather have my tv blow up then watch this show. However, I do have a question for those who saw it.

I've seen the commercial, a few times, for the episode where the girl says she would be willing to leave her husband for her old boyfriend. Did she really say that? Or was it just editing on the commercial? Just wondering. I saw and thought, it might be them editing to get people to watch.
Actually she never had to answer it. Her sister hit the button which meant she didnt answer it, but the answer was clear. Anyway the next question, asked by the ex boyfriend was "Do you believe you should be married to me" and she answered true. Then they asked if she cheated on her husband, and she answered true. Then she lost it all by answering true to "Do you believe you are a good person". The machine said False.

Its a train wreck and I couldnt look away.
Old 02-25-08, 08:59 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather have my tv blow up then watch this show. However, I do have a question for those who saw it.

I've seen the commercial, a few times, for the episode where the girl says she would be willing to leave her husband for her old boyfriend. Did she really say that? Or was it just editing on the commercial? Just wondering. I saw and thought, it might be them editing to get people to watch.
It was editing because her sister hit the button that saved her from having to answer that specific question. However, the replacement question was not much different--something along the lines of "Do you think your ex is the man you are supposed to be married to?" She did answer yes to that. She subsequently also answered yes when asked if she had had sex with other men during her marriage.

I firmly believe that this particular episode was a scripted ploy to improve ratings. My DVD cut off during the credits. Did anyone else watch the whole credits to see if they had a tiny print disclaimer similar to ones they put at the end of "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader" (basically says the kids are provided "study materials" covering "some" of the questions)?
Old 02-25-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonnyquest
This show is just dirty and underhanded. Once it became clear that she didn't give a hoot about preserving her marriage, they come up with a vague/fuzzy/opinion question, in order to avoid paying her. "Do you think you are a good person?" What the hell kind of polygraph question is that? The least they could have done was given her some Dr. Phil coupons or something.
Sorry, that's just not a hard question to answer, at least for me. Heck, I haven't done hardly any of the crap that lady pulled and I'd answer no without thinking too deeply about it. Then again I think all of us have a nasty streak in us. It's amazing she refused to see hers, even after all of that. If they said "basically" good then I could see getting away with a yes, but making it an all out inclusive good? Unless you're Ghandi or Mother Teresa, you better be saying no.

I can't say I feel sorry for anybody who agrees to go on this show. They KNOW what questions might come up. It's not like they can't be thinking about which of the unasked questions might come up.

It does make me long for the days of feel good game shows. Heck, I think I might have to look up and see if last Friday's The Price is Right Million Dollar Spectacular is online...now that's a good feeling show worth watching again

Last edited by calhoun07; 02-25-08 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 09:34 PM

JM--
You're right about this one being tweaked to boost ratings. That weird part at the beginning, the host's commentary about how this was so controversial and he wanted to prevent it from getting aired, but it wasn't his call to make. He said it again at the end. This episode was even more annoying than normal with the faux suspense. They would break for commercial, then after the commercial, they would REPLAY the previous 2 minutes from before the commercial, and the replayed part would have already been seen 3 or 4 times already from when they showed tease clips of it from earlier commercial break lead-ins and lead-outs. They never did all that in earlier episodes (but I saw only 2 episodes).

But the show is supposedly not scripted. The contestants are asked 50+ questions in advance, while being polygraphed. Then on the actual show, a portion of those 50 questions are re-asked, but it is a surprise as to which ones get re-asked. But it's a safe bet that they will select the most icky questions.
Old 02-25-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
I have not watched this show before but apparently I picked a doozy with tonight's show. I caught the early part where she said that she would rather help an animal than a homeless person -- she said she is a veterinary assistant -- but I did not watch the rest of the show until the end with the ex-boyfriend's question.

She seemed narcissistic enough to believe that she is a good person; since her inner-self answered false perhaps she can work on being truthful with herself and be a good person. Given her performance tonight it would seem that she has a very long road ahead of her.

I feel sorry for the husband too but I got a sense that he knew what he was getting into by marrying her.
Old 02-25-08, 11:20 PM

Most losers on this show have been tripped up by questions formulated as: "Do you think that you are...?" I don't consider these legitimate polygraph questions. How can you ask someone their opinion of themselves and then definitively determinine the truthfulness of that opinion?
Old 02-26-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd rather have my tv blow up then watch this show.
Then you must have a second tv.
Old 02-26-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you trying to find out more about Lauren Cleri, the wonderful wife from The Moment of Truth last night, you might be in luck. Here is her MySpace page and her modeling page if you are looking to hire her for some work.

http://www.celebridiot.com/2008/02/2...nd-model-page/
Old 02-26-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As stated above, if this show is legit, which I seriously have my doubts, she already answered these questions, so she knew what was coming.
Old 02-26-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Sorry, that's just not a hard question to answer, at least for me. Heck, I haven't done hardly any of the crap that lady pulled and I'd answer no without thinking too deeply about it. Then again I think all of us have a nasty streak in us. It's amazing she refused to see hers, even after all of that. If they said "basically" good then I could see getting away with a yes, but making it an all out inclusive good? Unless you're Ghandi or Mother Teresa, you better be saying no.
The wording of the question is irrelevant. It is all about how you interpret it. If someone asked me if I was a good person I would say yes, without hesitation. I believe it because if someone asks me something like that then I'd be comparing myself to the people I see on a daily basis. Some are good and some are not so good. I feel that I am among the good. However, if I decided to interpret the question differently the answer could just as easily been no. If I compared myself to someone like Mother Theresa or Ghandi then I would say no and that would register as a true statement too.

Another example is when they asked her if she ever had sexual relations with someone other than her husband while married. Hypothetically, let's say the truth is that she never had sex with anyone but has done other stuff that everyone would consider cheating (I won't go into specifics about what that other stuff can be, we can all figure it out). She could answer no to that question and if she honestly believes that "sexual relations" only means sex, the polygraph would say it is true.
Old 02-26-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After watching the condensed episode linked previously, I can't even bear to think about the same footage having Shatner-like pregnant pauses in between.

Also, I hate Mark L. "I am not Dirk Diggler" Walberg with a passion, ever since he was on Russian Roulette on the Game Show Network a few years back. Comes across to me as a complete prick with his robotic procedures of hosting.

However, I would kill to see Uwe Boll on this show getting grilled with questions like "Do you think you're a good filmmaker?" and "Did you bribe your producers to continue making quote-unquote 'crap'?", delivered in Walberg's signature emotionless voice.
Old 02-27-08, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who in the holy hell edits this show? I mean, where is the suspense of the current question, when in the previews (as well as just before commercial breaks) clearly display a question from later on in the show? I don't get it.
Old 02-27-08, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kromax
Who in the holy hell edits this show? I mean, where is the suspense of the current question, when in the previews (as well as just before commercial breaks) clearly display a question from later on in the show? I don't get it.
The show is on the skids. They're desperate to hold on to the precious few viewers they still have. It's not about suspense any more. It's about the promise of a train wreck. They have overhyped the train wreck aspect all season, but never delivered. So this week's episode was a heroic effort to convince viewers that the show really is as "edgy" as was initially promised. The previous episodes did not have nearly as many premature reveals as the one this week.
Old 02-27-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
The show is on the skids. They're desperate to hold on to the precious few viewers they still have. It's not about suspense any more. It's about the promise of a train wreck. They have overhyped the train wreck aspect all season, but never delivered. So this week's episode was a heroic effort to convince viewers that the show really is as "edgy" as was initially promised. The previous episodes did not have nearly as many premature reveals as the one this week.
Good analysis.
Old 02-27-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Another example is when they asked her if she ever had sexual relations with someone other than her husband while married.
This question really had me thinking. What if she masturbated? Wouldn't that, by description, be sexual relations with someone other than her husband? So, her answer of "yes" wouldn't mean anything.

I saw about 5 minutes of this episode and the first thing that came to mind is that it HAS to be phoney. The lack of reaction from the family was just too laid back for it to be legit. There wasn't even any emotion from them when these "revelations" were being made.

Between this and "My Dad is Better Than Your Dad" these game show producers are going straight to Hell.
Old 02-27-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I watched this on YouTube to see the hype. Wow, what an awful show. And while it's tempting to feel bad for the contestents...they DO know what they're getting into. Who in their right mind would go on national TV on a show like that!??!
Old 02-27-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's number 3 on the Nielsens 2-11 year olds list!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ens-charts.htm

It is a trainwreck and I can't look away!
Old 02-27-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The wording of the question is irrelevant. It is all about how you interpret it. If someone asked me if I was a good person I would say yes, without hesitation. I believe it because if someone asks me something like that then I'd be comparing myself to the people I see on a daily basis. Some are good and some are not so good. I feel that I am among the good. However, if I decided to interpret the question differently the answer could just as easily been no. If I compared myself to someone like Mother Theresa or Ghandi then I would say no and that would register as a true statement too.

Another example is when they asked her if she ever had sexual relations with someone other than her husband while married. Hypothetically, let's say the truth is that she never had sex with anyone but has done other stuff that everyone would consider cheating (I won't go into specifics about what that other stuff can be, we can all figure it out). She could answer no to that question and if she honestly believes that "sexual relations" only means sex, the polygraph would say it is true.

And I just have to say I'd hate to base my moral compass on people around me.

And I can say with certainty I won't be watching this show again.
Old 02-27-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I caught the end of this waiting for the next show. What bothers me most is that some show got cancelled so that people could watch this.
Old 02-27-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

February 27, 2008
Web Exclusive: The 'Truth' Hurts

Frank and Lauren Cleri shocked "Moment of Truth" viewers this week when the 26-year-old wife admitted to cheating on her husband and said she'd rather be married to her ex-boyfriend. The Post sat down with the surprisingly amicable couple this week to find out more on their rocky relationship.

The couple, who married after dating for eight months, admits that if they'd won the cash prize (she lost after being asked if she thought she was a good person), their problems wouldn't have been fixed.

"The money wouldn't have bought us happiness. We'd still be in the same situation -- except our bills would be paid and my boobs would be bigger," Lauren said in an exclusive interview with The Post from their Pierpont, N.J., apartment, where they both still live together.

The couple watched the show Monday night with the rest of America, while eating pizza and drinking beer.

"I had to keep looking away, it was painful," Lauren said. "We had just gone through it all and then we had to face it all over again."

"It was the longest hour," Frank said. "To live through it all over again, it was tough."

Lauren, 26, and Frank, 24, married two years ago after a quick, 8-month courtship. She's an aspiring actress who works part-time at a hair salon. He's a rookie cop of the NYPD. The couple eloped a month after they were engaged and were married by a justice of the peace.

"We were young, dumb and in love," Frank said.

The couple wound up on Fox's "Moment of Truth" when Laura was called by a casting agent for the show.

"I spent hours and hours on the phone at night with the producers -- at this point, they know me better than anybody does."

Despite the scandalous revelations on the show, the couple is still friendly and both wear their wedding rings. After the interview, they left together to see an accountant to do their taxes.

However, even though she wants to make the marriage work, he doesn't sound too optimistic.

"It's a lot to go through, it's a lot to get over and I don't know if I can. It's a lot of emotional pain, and it's not going to go away in a week, or a month," he said.

But, he added, he hopes to maintain some semblance of a friendship with his wife, saying, "I'm still going to be here for her, regardless."

One interesting tidbit -- Frank already knew about Lauren's affairs before the show aired, which is partly why they're so at ease with each other now, even changing friendly barbs.

"You have to laugh, at this point," said Frank. "We've already done a lot of crying and fighting."

She joked: "Right now, we're keeping the sharp objects hidden."

Cracked Frank, "I mean, why couldn't she have gone on 'Deal or No Deal'? All she'd have had to do was pick a number."

The couple has had problems for at least a year, but had kept it from their families.

"There was nothing revealed on the show about our relationship that we hadn't already put on the table; we've been having problems for a year, there's already been a lot of talking and confessions and hurt. But we didn't really discuss it with our families."

"That's the hardest part," Lauren said. "It's hard for our families and friends. I haven't been able to really concentrate since the show. I just keep thinking about Frank's family and his friends, and my family."

Both of them were surprised that Lauren's ex, also named Frank, was brought on the show as a surprise guest.

"I saw him walk out, and I turned to Lauren's dad and said, 'Who's that?'" recalled Frank, who was at the show taping with his in-laws. "Then I heard Lauren's sister say who it was, and I was like, 'Holy -- I couldn't believe it and I didn't want to be there anymore."

Lauren said she was equally stunned. "From the minute he was introduced, I don't remember anything. My mind went blank, I don't remember talking or answering questions. Nothing. From that point on, it's all a blur."

Still, Lauren said she doesn't regret doing the show. "Because I'm the type who learns from my mistakes. But would I do it again? No. I keep hoping some other couple goes on the show and tops us, but I don't really want that, either. Nobody should go through this, it's a lot of pain, hurt and heartbreak for everyone involved."

"I truly, honestly believe I am a good person," she said. "I'm not a murderer, I'm not a serial killer. I don't try to hurt people. I learn from my mistakes and I don't make them again."

Of having endured the public humiliation only to lose the cash, Frank cracked, "Yeah, ain't that a kick?"
http://blogs.nypost.com/tv/archives/...clusive_t.html

Ahhh, crazy kooky kids in love... this marriage is
Old 02-28-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07

And I just have to say I'd hate to base my moral compass on people around me.

And I can say with certainty I won't be watching this show again.
I knew someone would bring up Bill Clinton after my post.

I'm with you Calhoun. I was suckered into watching this episode by a friend who told me how ridiculous it was that something like this was on TV. I'm pretty unhappy with myself for watching it and being entertained by watching a real life marriage/family fall apart. I'll never be watching this show again.
Old 02-28-08, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you a good person is such a subjective question, I don't even know what I would answer. Even if I gave my honest answer to a lie detector, I think there's enough doubt in my mind, towards either answer, that it may register as a false.
Old 02-28-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I quit watching the actual show after the first one when it was evident you could speed through an hour of it in about 5 minutes, but reading the thread about the subsequent episodes is a hoot.
Old 02-28-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbon3
http://blogs.nypost.com/tv/archives/...clusive_t.html

Ahhh, crazy kooky kids in love... this marriage is

morons.... oh well.. bang her and then bang outside... you have a pass go card already

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.