DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Jericho Season 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/523102-jericho-season-2-a.html)

DVDMagic 01-20-08 02:42 PM

Jericho Season 2

Can anyone tell me if they have filmed and have all the episodes ready to go for 'Jericho' Season 2?

I never got around to watching this when it was originally on, but my wife picked up Season 1 for me for Christmas and we just finished wathcing it last night.

We're both looking forward to Season 2 in a few weeks and hope that they'll be shown continuously.

Gizmo 01-20-08 02:43 PM

All have been finished and an alternate ending has been filmed just in case the show gets canceled.

The 3 episodes have already surfaced online as well as they are pretty damn good.

Jimmy James 01-20-08 02:54 PM

I wish I were going to be done with the first season replays on Universal HD before this started, but I won't. I'll just have to wait for the end of those while recording the S2 episodes as well. I'm only 3 episodes in, and it's worthy of my time. I can see why I didn't start it in fall 2006, but the up side of the strike is that I've been able to find things like this to watch.

DJariya 01-20-08 03:19 PM

Premieres February 12th at 10pm on CBS. It's only got 7 episodes to prove itself for a 3rd season. I'm hoping for the best.

Jimmy James 01-20-08 03:23 PM

The funny thing is that due to the strike, it isn't at as big a disadvantage as it otherwise would be. If it draws some strong ratings and if they can keep the show strong creatively, it could come back.

argh923 01-20-08 03:26 PM

On the other hand, if ratings aren't huge, the fact that there's a strike going on could hurt it, since it's not really competing against anything.

DJariya 01-20-08 03:27 PM

Promo for the new season:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7cRpK76q4_s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7cRpK76q4_s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

argh923 01-20-08 03:30 PM

NICE!

So psyched for this.

DJariya 01-20-08 03:35 PM

That promo really psyched me up for the new season. I am looking forward to seeing Hawkins and Jake kick more ass.

I am not even going near those leaked episodes.

Jimmy James 01-20-08 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
On the other hand, if ratings aren't huge, the fact that there's a strike going on could hurt it, since it's not really competing against anything.

When a show gets a single digit second season order, you pretty much figure it's going to be axed. That's where I was coming from with my analysis. CBS may find it has trouble killing a show that does well, even against little competition due to the strike.

DVDMagic 01-20-08 03:42 PM

Yeah, I'm not even gonna touch those "leaked" episodes. They showed the trailer during a commercial break during the game and it looks awesome.

I thought that they only filmed the 7 episodes to basically tie everything together.

If there's a chance that a 3rd season is possible then :thumbsup:

Gizmo 01-20-08 05:47 PM

A 3rd season for Jericho is pretty bleak especially with CBS only ordered 7 scripts. Its more of a "wrap up" movie. You can tell as many of the old cast members are no where to be seen.

Geofferson 01-20-08 06:05 PM

Action-packed promo...looking forward to the return.

DJariya 01-20-08 06:18 PM

I think it was actually smart for CBS to order a short season. With the uncertainty of the WGA strike, they probably woudn't have been able to film a complete season. Plus, they are probably using these episodes as a test to see how many Jericho fans there really are especially after all the Nuts hoopla and if it can improve from the 7M + viewers episodes 12-22 got last season. I read that they wrapped production of episode 7 in early September and it was probably doubtful they would have completed 13 episodes let alone 22.

Jimmy James 01-20-08 07:08 PM

If the order was such a smart move, why didn't other networks order 7 episode seasons? Why didn't CBS order them for any other show?

Nope, I don't buy that. I do buy that they wanted to see if the show could get the rating the nuts movement implied (and perhaps more importantly didn't want to piss off that audience). I don't think it's a guarantee of 7 and done or else there would only be one ending, but I think the odds are stacked in that direction.

argh923 01-20-08 07:47 PM

The important thing is to watch the hell out of the show in the meantime.

Having been on the inside of the "Jericho movement" the first time around, I will say that there's nowhere near the same amount of hype, which worries me.

Just watched the first "leaked" episode, and it's fantastic. The reason some of the characters are "nowhere to be found" is because it's
Spoiler:

not dealing with any of the high-school nonsense. Pretty much Mimi/Stanley's romance and that's it - no crap with Dale or anything like that.

Gizmo 01-20-08 09:02 PM

abrg,

Thats the problem. All the old people are gone, and all the young people are gone. We are stuck with whats in the middle. Fans of the 1st Season will be surprised not to see half the town.

argh923 01-20-08 09:14 PM

It's not at all the problem, because what's "in the middle" was always the best part of the show, by far.

DJariya 01-20-08 10:00 PM

I'm not trying to say that every current CBS show should have gotten a reduced season order because of the WGA strike uncertainty. Of course all your returning programs and new ones will get a normal order and work business as usual until they run out of scripts and get shut down.

Jericho wasn't even on the programming budget until all the Nuts hoopla changed their minds. I remember reading Nina Tassler's statement and she said they specifically ordered 7 episodes with the possibility of more depending on how the ratings were and scheduled it for midseason. Financially it makes sense since the ratings weren't good for the 2nd half of last season and this show isn't cheap to produce. I know production costs were trimmed: there are less location shoots and shooting days for an episode. They obviously wanted to please the fans with something and only had enough money for this limited amount. They even started production in early July so that they could complete the order before the strike would kick in.

Also, if they were so pessimistic about this show, why did they ask Carol Barbee, Jericho's showrunner, to postpone working on Swingtown (CBS' other midseason show) to work most of the summer on these episodes. They could have easily hired a new showrunner who could have run this show into the ground. Swingtown isn't even on CBS schedule right now. I think they have more faith in Jericho than Swingtown.

Anways, I'm optimistic these 7 episodes will do well and we'll see a 3rd season.

zoom1200 01-20-08 10:07 PM

hope it makes it.. great show.

pelenor 01-21-08 02:03 PM

Having seen the three episodes,
Spoiler:
all the regulars are there, even the annoying kid who actually turns out to be a sort of bad ass in his own way, so I don't believe it's a wrap up movie

Binger 01-21-08 03:26 PM

One more thing to consider is that the strike means that there will be a limited amount of pilots for the fall season. Networks may end up having to renew shows, even if they have lower than desired ratings, in order to have new episodes of programing for the fall season. Of course that is assuming that the WGA strike ends in our lifetime.

Gizmo 01-21-08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pelenor
Having seen the three episodes,
Spoiler:
all the regulars are there, even the annoying kid who actually turns out to be a sort of bad ass in his own way, so I don't believe it's a wrap up movie

You are forgetting that
Spoiler:
all the old people are gone, the mother, Dales "girlfriend", Robert Hawkins kids, Grey has left (and may not return)...

I'd be SHOCKED if this show got another order for more episodes/season. I'd LOVE it, but I don't think its going to happen. Had CBS really cared, they would have ordered 13/22 episodes last year, not 7.

DJariya 01-21-08 07:43 PM

The show wasn't even on their programming schedule that they presented in last May's up fronts before the Nuts campaign saved it. Obviously most of their programming money was probably spent by then. I think they found a way financially to pay for 7 episodes that could be profitable. But, again it all depends on how they do performance-wise next month.

If CBS didn't care, they could have ignored the entire campaign and blown off releasing the 1st season on DVD. By the way, the official Jericho web site was constantly updated through the entire summer with a weekly production blog on the episodes being shot. Soon after the cancellation, Jericho's showrunner Carol Barbee was hired to oversee Swingtown for midseason. But, after the revival, they blew off production of that she entirely to bring her back to oversee these 7 episodes. Plus, CBS sent all the actors to Comic-Con in San Diego last summer to promote the show. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound like someone who doesn't care.

argh923 01-21-08 10:17 PM

If it does somewhat well, they'll renew it. These episodes are fantastic.