Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Season Premiere (Jan 15-16)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol Season Premiere (Jan 15-16)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prp2
damn you!!!!
Old 01-16-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
damn you!!!!
Double damn you!

You've gotta shake your head at the guy who calls himself a hardcore rocker ... then proceeds to do a Kelly Clarkson song Then again, the "guyliner" should've given away his suckiness.

They were kind of generous tonight. Surprised car crash lady got through, and a couple others.
Old 01-16-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SendHelp
so brooke white and kristy lee cook are already professional singers/models.... that is so lame
Brooke White's Myspace page, you can listen to her songs there. I don't mind her songs or her songs (though her voice is pleasant, it's not built for vocal pyrotechnics). I think it's pretty funny how much humble pie both Kristy and Brooke had to eat for their auditions.
Old 01-16-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
"Brothers forever!"

He pretty much has a guaranteed spot at the finale. Everyone in the Kodak theater join hands and sing out in unison!
Old 01-16-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Am Your Brother! I can't wait to get an .mp3 of this.

What was so funny about it was that his voice was actually pretty decent, I'm sure he's a good singer in his native language And speaking of foreign languages, in Tuesday's show there was the Salsa singer, singing in Spanish, who got the golden ticket.

The only singer that really stood out for me was that black girl with the tattoos on her arm / head.
Old 01-17-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I've had my fill of pretty blond girls with a country twang.

And will the Oklahoma Governor guy be this year's Red Crooner/Chicken Little/Sanjaya? His voice is average at best, I do not know why they would put him through.
Old 01-17-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the poor people that come on and sing horribly (and they just let them get thru to the judges because it gets laughs) have Asperger's?
Old 01-17-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

I don't think I will ever have me fill of that... And I don't even like country.
Old 01-17-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was Alaina Whitaker. The one who said when asked about that, "Carrie looks like me."
I'm assuming this is her. She has a sister.

http://www.gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa...tulsa-by-storm
Old 01-17-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, Kady Malloy. Just checked, she also has Googleable mp3s and some sort of album thing going on.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPqodamEVL0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YPqodamEVL0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That was Alaina Whitaker. The one who said when asked about that, "Carrie looks like me."
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_WK5LKi7R0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_WK5LKi7R0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-17-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
Is it just me or does it seem like most of the poor people that come on and sing horribly (and they just let them get thru to the judges because it gets laughs) have Asperger's?
I felt for the car crash girl and the nerdy politician that Simon just said yes in order for the deciding vote to come down to Paula who is a push over and has no taste. very funny watching her go against her gut and say yes.
Old 01-17-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
I felt for the car crash girl and the nerdy politician that Simon just said yes in order for the deciding vote to come down to Paula who is a push over and has no taste. very funny watching her go against her gut and say yes.
i felt for the car crash girl as well. But maybe if she can work on her nervousness, she won't be too bad. But if not, let's hope she gets mercifully let go early in the next process...
Old 01-17-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I kept expecting one of them to start meowing.
Old 01-17-08, 11:12 AM
Cool New Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1iUtfX5b88&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1iUtfX5b88&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

We're Brothers Forever <3
Old 01-17-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I kept expecting one of them to start meowing.
What's that meow? Not so funny, is it meow?
Old 01-17-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Simon you are heaven's chosen. To give chance to any talent for free of charge"
Old 01-17-08, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
There seems to be a basic theme...

- Country/Folk style singers. Usually blonde smiley chicks or a plain guy that can do a country singer impression
- The black woman "church" singer that sounds like pretty much ever female black singer, that just sings loud
- The scrawny white chick that decides that voice inflection + dissonance = great singing, ignoring tone and good taste
- The generic R&B "I'm doing an impression of Usher" male voice
- Any fake hipster doing a bad Sinatra impersonation
- Skinny white douche doing thinking he's a rocker and loves, say, nickelback
- Crazy motherfuckers that get the "third-place at the special olympics" courtesy clap when they do very bad karaoke at a local bar

95% of the auditions fall into those groups...It's to the point that I could watch it with the sound off and tell you how they sung, then rewind, turn on the sound and listen. Could be a drinking game.
Old 01-17-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know, I can see the humour in the "Brothers Forever" guy - but this is still my all time favorite audition:

I can literally watch this 10x in a row. Leroy Wells - "Can You Dig it?"

Old 01-17-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not as many awesomely bad people as last year, so a bit of a disappointment so far. Here's to hoping that some real nutjobs come out in CA. Best so far was the black dude, who was in the greenish suit and obviously missing bottom teeth, who sung like Corky from Life Goes On.
Old 01-17-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So, as a AI outsider/non-watcher, just following the press from time to time...

How creepy was male-virgin-with-Daddy's-heartkey?

I've always found those things creepy enough when they were Father/Daughter--like the F/D Purity Balls, etc....

I'm hoping the overtones here might have skeeved the whole nation. Ick!

(This religious sexual-abstinence crap has been proven time and again to actually encourage what it seeks to stop. Not to mention encouraging the associated lies and hypocrisy...)

Last edited by adamblast; 01-17-08 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish they wouldn't even put the people on that fuckin dress up as women, Wow how original you dressed up as a woman, fuck you.
Old 01-17-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
How creepy was male-virgin-with-Daddy's-heartkey?

I've always found those things creepy enough when they were Father/Daughter--like the F/D Purity Balls, etc....

I'm hoping the overtones here might have skeeved the whole nation. Ick!

(This religious sexual-abstinence crap has been proven time and again to actually encourage what it seeks to stop. Not to mention encouraging the associated lies and hypocrisy...)
yeah this was beyond creepy. The guy's going to become a bitter dude as he gets older. I think what his dad is doing borders on child abuse if you ask me. Not wanting to even KISS someone until his wedding day? oy
Old 01-17-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
yeah this was beyond creepy. The guy's going to become a bitter dude as he gets older. I think what his dad is doing borders on child abuse if you ask me. Not wanting to even KISS someone until his wedding day? oy
I call bullshit on that dude. How can you possibly marry a girl without kissing her ever?
Old 01-17-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
well, I think they are scraping the bottom of the barrel now to find totally clueless singers who actually believe they can sing. It's wrong I think to show them but it's hard not to watch in a car wreck kind of way.

I think Simon is totally bored of the show having seen all those types of singers that lordzeppelin described above. So now, he gets his kicks by trying to get Paula to be the mean one by splitting his vote with Randy and forcing Paula to choose to pass through some marginal talent.
Old 01-17-08, 04:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
The amount of people that have mental issues that make it on this audition show just staggers me. I mean really...is this representative of the general population? I see crazy people all the time out in public, but is it me or is there a rise in the number over the last decade? It's entertaining, for sure, but it's also pretty damn disturbing. I'd love to know how some of these people actually live day to day and function...fucking loons I tell ya!
Well, I suppose when you hav such a large sampling size of auditioners it's easy to find a lot of crazies in the bunch. Although I wonder... of all the mentally unstable contestants we see, I wonder what the percentage breakdown between 1) those with legitimate mental problems, 2) those who are faking it for camera time, and 3) actors hired by Fox to create more 'wacky' moments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.