Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Season Premiere (Jan 15-16)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol Season Premiere (Jan 15-16)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
http://cdbaby.com/cd/kristylee
Seems that she moved to Texas 2 years ago, was signed to a record deal awhile ago and has "Cowboys" in Arlington TX.
Cowboys is the local (really) large country bar here in town.
Old 01-16-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best was glitter girl:

"I'm going to knock them on their feet"

"I'll show Simon, I'm going to go into actressing"
Old 01-16-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ytrez
And the girl who was talking to the Egyptian should win the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce award for her wonderful representation of the city during her conversation with the Egyptian (I think it was him). Girl: "Do you have any kids?" Egyptian: "I'm not married." Girl: "What, just cause you ain't married don't mean you can't have kids. Welcome to a new town cause that's all that's goin' on around here." Hooray for Philly!!!
Yeah, that cracked me up too.

Was that the same chick that later came in and sang that looked like a crack whore?
Old 01-16-08, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez
And the girl who was talking to the Egyptian should win the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce award for her wonderful representation of the city during her conversation with the Egyptian (I think it was him). Girl: "Do you have any kids?" Egyptian: "I'm not married." Girl: "What, just cause you ain't married don't mean you can't have kids. Welcome to a new town cause that's all that's goin' on around here." Hooray for Philly!!!
This was the best segment of the show. I was laughing for a good bit after that exchange!!
Old 01-16-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Yeah, that cracked me up too.

Was that the same chick that later came in and sang that looked like a crack whore?
Im pretty sure it was the same girl...
Old 01-16-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised VH1 or someone has not gathered up a bunch of the craziest people that have ever auditioned for AI and put them together in a house for a reality show.
Old 01-16-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Best was glitter girl:

I'm sure she'll be victorious at actressing!
Old 01-16-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/233653

SNIP
August 7, 2001

The 17-year-old singer claims Selma, Oregon as her home, although recent months have been spent attending to business matters in Nashville and performing live in various venues in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Lee adds horses and softball to her passions beyond music. She is managed by Marty Rendleman, who formerly managed LeAnn Rimes.
SNIP END

Looks like AI is trying to get real singers in this year, last year was a joke as far as talent goes.

Think of the past years: Kelly, Carrie, Taylor, Clay, Chris D, Jennifer H...

Last year - No real standout talent

This year is already looking 10x better than last year!
Old 01-16-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Yet with no alternative for new programming, I'm willing to bet that you and most of America will continue to tune in! Can't wait to see that the numbers were last night!
And? I watch a good amount of shit I am not crazy about. There isn't much on. That doesn't preclude me from nitpicking the shit out of it.
Old 01-16-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So here's my question? Man who sang the gospel song....? Looked like he had no teeth and a deformed tongue? Real or put on?
Old 01-16-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts
Best was glitter girl:

She can play Willem Defoe's daughter.
Old 01-16-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Both glitter girl and her mother scared the everloving shit out of me. I lol'ed at the footage of their 24 square foot apartment, complete with 2 cats and a dog.

It is getting very hard to enjoy these audition episodes, though. It is so old hat by now that even the real horrible auditions barely elicit a yawn from me. The ones tonight seemed like even more of a put-on than in the past.

Agreed. This show is sooooooooooooooooo tired now. The same stupid, bored, wide eye reactions from Paula and Randy are just overdone. They need to be replaced. If they need another crazy female, grab Courtney Love or Britney. How about a new set at the very least? But the show has become a huge yawn at this point.
Old 01-16-08, 12:48 PM

so brooke white and kristy lee cook are already professional singers/models.... that is so lame

Old 01-16-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
She can play Willem Defoe's daughter.

And her name would be Victorious.
Old 01-16-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SendHelp
so brooke white and kristy lee cook are already professional singers/models.... that is so lame ...
Read post #22, or read this:

http://www.votefortheworst.com/americanidol7contestants

The top 50 (top 24 haven't been chosen yet) is loaded with people who have been in bands, have records, even one who was nominated for a grammy for a duet with Alicia Keys. I don't mind a few of these people but I hope that there are plenty of true amateurs.

As for the show last night, the stalker guy and the no sex guy were my favorites.

I broke into her house, when she wasn’t there
Took off all my clothes and tried on her underwear

If you were a bathtub I'd caulk it. If you were Columbo I'd Peter Faulk it.

As far as the "good" ones went, sure, there were some good ones and I'm glad AI is putting more emphasis on the good singers, but none really jumped out as "outstanding".
Old 01-16-08, 01:12 PM

i don't mind too much that theyre already professional singers. but why lie and say she sold a horse to get to the audition...
Old 01-16-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
Read post #22, or read this:

http://www.votefortheworst.com/americanidol7contestants

The top 50 (top 24 haven't been chosen yet) is loaded with people who have been in bands, have records, even one who was nominated for a grammy for a duet with Alicia Keys. I don't mind a few of these people but I hope that there are plenty of true amateurs.
I find this (especially the full votefortheworst article) mind-numbingly and head-shakingly incredible. I only watch AI for the auditions -- in the past they've been truly goofy and fun to watch. It gets way too serious/boring during the actual competition. But stacking the show with ringers and making a complete mockery of the audition process -- just fucking incredible.

I really liked this Kristy Cook last night. Thought she had a fresh look and sounded great. They presented her as a complete newbie but today I discover that she's been in the music business for seven years! What a crock of bullshit.

Looks like they're doing to AI what they did to radio, trying to force their anointed acts down the public's throat whether we want them or not. This approach has already killed radio and will probably kill AI in the long run.

The music industry must be run by inbred idiots -- this is the only explanation I can think of why they never seem to learn from their mistakes. It truly deserves to die a merciful death.

Last edited by Flave; 01-16-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon. As soon as I saw her and heard her sing, I said there's the winner. I know it's early, but she's got the look and she's got the voice. She just looks like an american idol.
So did Bailey Brown
Old 01-16-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
You know, if they replaced Paula with Britney Spears this show would be a trainwreck worth watching.

For 1 episode.
Old 01-16-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kristy Lee Cook CD is now SOLD OUT. Either people really liked what they heard, or they anticipate a collector's item, so watch EBAY for them.
Old 01-16-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want to hear song snippets, you can check out the CDBABY link from the last, or also check out her Myspace page

Last edited by Patman; 01-16-08 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
But the show has become a huge yawn at this point.
Good to see people are still watching even though they are bored with it.
Old 01-16-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard they are already calling her KKKristy because she has a confederate flag in her video.
Old 01-16-08, 05:15 PM

Best was glitter girl:

As I was watching her, I said to myself, she reminds me of Willem DeFoe, and 2 mins later Simon said the same thing. I was laughing my ass off at her, after that.
Old 01-16-08, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
I really liked this Kristy Cook last night. Thought she had a fresh look and sounded great. They presented her as a complete newbie but today I discover that she's been in the music business for seven years! What a crock of bullshit.
I agree - I felt really manipulated when I found this out. I guess Carrie Underwood may be the last real "amateur" to do well in this thing. You know, it may have the opposite effect Idol producers want - people will find out who the ringers are, and will vote against them. I know I probably will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.