Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Will you buy any of the condensed '07-'08 TV shows on DVD?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you buy any of the condensed '07-'08 TV season on DVD?
Yes, I will definitely buy all my favorite shows regardless
27.55%
No, I want a full season on DVD not this hack job!
13.27%
Yes, only if there is a significant price reduction
56.12%
No, I don't buy TV on DVD, so I don't care
3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Since pretty much all of the 2007-08 TV season will be cut short because of the strike, I was wondering if any of you will still purchase your favorite shows in their condensed form on DVD? Will you expect drastic price reductions since we're only getting 9-15 episodes on alot of shows?

For example, I assume that if CSI is shut down for the remainder of the season, CBS/Paramount cannot expect the consumer to pay 70 bucks for an 11-episode season 8 right?
Old 12-30-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
For example, I assume that if CSI is shut down for the remainder of the season, CBS/Paramount cannot expect the consumer to pay 70 bucks for an 11-episode season 8 right?
I wouldn't be surpised if CBS/Paramount keeps with the $70 price tag, despite only having 11 episodes.

Studios really don't speak the same language as the customers. Sure, they are the big reason why the WGA strike is still going strong, but they don't see it as their fault. You saw the episodes during its original broadcast for free basically, so why would the studio want to lower the price of something you get to own? If anything, the studios will raise the price of new shows being released after they aired. They're probably looking at it as a chance to get some money back, since they aren't making as much with all shows in reruns.
Old 12-30-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
People still pay outrageous prices for HBO series. They still pawned off Entourage season 3 parts 1 and 2 (big props to them for reducing the prices on those sets)

I'm still buying Heroes, Lost, Journeyman and anything else I would have gotten if they were full runs. I'm hoping they'll be cheaper then previous seasons but I doubt it.
Old 12-30-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they're priced accordingly, sure. But if they're priced at the same price as a "regular" full season then not a chance.
Old 12-30-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Journeyman
Old 12-30-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course I'll buy the ones I would have bought anyway: How I Met Your Mother, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives. Why wouldn't I buy them just because the seasons are shorter? If the studios are stupid enough to charge the same price for them, I'll just wait until I can find them cheaper.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 12-30-07 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-30-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill buy what I was going to buy, just not necessarily on release date. I imagine a show like Journeyman (a must buy for me) would not be the same price as a full season set regardless, but I can see Heroes/Lost/etc staying the same. Id be willing to bet if there are larger orders for episodes next season, though, the price will go up.
Old 12-30-07, 12:14 PM

Maybe The Office or Friday Night Lights(15 episodes isn't a bad total). Pushing Daisies is also a possibility.

But I'll only get them on HD-DVD/Blu-ray. I'm still waiting for The Office Season 3 in HD, Universal!
Old 12-30-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Being somewhat of a completist I feel that I have to. If there were full seasons I probably would have picked up How I Met Your Mother, The Office, My Name Is Earl and Scrubs... I'll probably end up getting them all anyway.
Old 12-30-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll buy the shows I like, but not at a full season price.
Old 12-30-07, 03:52 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only been buying release day for exclusives. Without those (I assume there won't be any) I will just wait a few months for the prices to drop.
Old 12-30-07, 04:27 PM

Of the current TV shows, the ones I buy on DVD are the ones I never watched live, and am a season behind on DVD: How I Met Your Mother, Bones, NCIS and some HBO and Showtime shows (I don't have either premium channel).

So I intend to buy those as they come out. Also I plan on getting Pushing Daisies when it's on DVD as I didn't watch it this season, but heard good things about it.

The other shows I do watch (Lost, Heroes, Ugly Betty, etc.) I haven't been buying on DVD at all. I see every episode when it airs, and I'm not in too much hurry to revisit them yet- maybe in a few years or so I'll get hungry for watching some of them again.

Veronica Mars and Arrested Development were the last two shows I was excited about enough to watch live and then buy the DVDs as they came out.
Old 12-30-07, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Very few.

Unless they are $19.99 or less.
Old 12-30-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tscott
The other shows I do watch (Lost, Heroes, Ugly Betty, etc.) I haven't been buying on DVD at all. I see every episode when it airs, and I'm not in too much hurry to revisit them yet- maybe in a few years or so I'll get hungry for watching some of them again.
I agree- I watch a ton of current TV shows but I just can't imagine buying most of them. The only exception I can think of the current fall slate of shows would be Journeyman. I have told my husband about it and I would love to sit down and re-watch it with him.

I will also be first in line to buy Mad Men when it comes out on DVD.

I bought the first season of Heroes but I have no desire to sit through this mess of a season 2 ever again.
Old 12-30-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
People still pay outrageous prices for HBO series. They still pawned off Entourage season 3 parts 1 and 2 (big props to them for reducing the prices on those sets)
HBO series have been getting much cheaper over the last year or so, all MSRPs are pretty low, except for maybe The Sopranos.
Old 12-30-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Another thing to keep in mind is with the WGA strike going on, this season's TV on DVD sets may not get any participation from the writer's, producers in the bonus material (if there will be any in the 1st place.)

I just can't see Buena Vista releasing an 8 episode DVD set for Lost especially with no bonus material.
Old 12-30-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Apparently it looks like there are 5 commentary tracks for Heroes Season 2. Just went to the NBC web site and they are posted on there with video of the stars/producers watching the episodes as well. I assume these will end up on the DVD. So it looks like some shows will get bonus material despite the strike.
Old 12-30-07, 07:43 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is with the WGA strike going on, this season's TV on DVD sets may not get any participation from the writer's, producers in the bonus material (if there will be any in the 1st place.)

I just can't see Buena Vista releasing an 8 episode DVD set for Lost especially with no bonus material.
They released the first season of "Grey's Anatomy" with 9 episodes as well as the first season of "October Road" with only 6 episodes. So they probably will on 2 DVDs (but hopefully at an MSRP of $29.99, vs. the regular $59.99).
Old 12-30-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably not since I'd prefer a full season unless the price was ridiculously low
Old 12-30-07, 07:44 PM

Apparently it looks like there are 5 commentary tracks for Heroes Season 2. Just went to the NBC web site and they are posted on there with video of the stars/producers watching the episodes as well. I assume these will end up on the DVD. So it looks like some shows will get bonus material despite the strike.
Deleted Scenes, Blooper Reels, and behind-the-scenes featurettes shouldn't be affected that much. It would actually be interesting if a couple series did a featurette on how the strike effected production, etc...
Old 12-30-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll buy all the shows I would have bought anyway. Sure I'll balk if they try to charge full price but I can't see the studios doing something which would so obviously piss everyone off.
Old 12-31-07, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
I don't buy much TV on DVD, but I'll definitely be picking up Pushing Daisies.
Old 12-31-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I will buy the Office...(Thats it and I already have all 3 seasons on DVD and archived in HD)
Old 12-31-07, 11:44 AM
Banned

supernatural ..yes
Old 12-31-07, 11:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own the season one set of The Office and that's only six episodes. Cost might be the only deterrent here, because I'm not paying 40 bucks for ten episodes of something. But a good show is a good show, regardless of episode count. I imagine I'll pick up The Office and 30 Rock for sure, and possibly a few others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.