Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why didn't anyone tell me how awesome How I Met Your Mother is?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-25-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, seriously. I just finished watching the first season and I was blown away.

I still think it'd be better without a laugh track, but... damn. I thought I was done with laugh track sitcoms, and then I sit down and watch this show.
Old 12-25-07, 04:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Let me guess, you are also a "2 and a 1/2 men" fan?

Do yourself a huge favor, go watch the first season of "Flight of the Conchords" or "30 Rock", two truly amazing sitcoms, and then go rethink your love of "HIMYM"
Old 12-25-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I mean, seriously. I just finished watching the first season and I was blown away.
I picked up the first season a few months ago after randomly checking out the pilot. Loved every second of it and picked up the second season as soon as it hit the shelves. The show is a lot of fun and very quotable. I got all my friends into it too.

Oh and to follow up on TallGuyMe's point. If you don't already watch Two and a Half Men, I suggest checking it out. Its not as good as HIMYM but its good for plenty of laughs.

In fact, I recommend the entire CBS Monday night lineup. HIMYM is the best but the other three shows are good fun.

Oh and I watch Flight of the Conchords and 30 Rock. Like those too...
Old 12-25-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Do yourself a huge favor, go watch the first season of "Flight of the Conchords" or "30 Rock", two truly amazing sitcoms, and then go rethink your love of "HIMYM"

Oh please. I can't stand "Two and a Half Men", yet I was a huge fan of both "HIMYM" and "30 Rock" from day one. They are not mutually exclusive.

Tracer, yes, it's an awesome show. It probably has the best continuity of any sitcom in history. Stuff happens in one episode that doesn't pay off until 2 episodes later - and they'll be wearing the same outfits when the reference happens. It holds together extremely well and, in my opinion, only gets better as it continues.

It's a great show - glad you are enjoying it.

Last edited by Draven; 12-25-07 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I detest Two and A Half Men. It's just awful and raunchy. I love the other shows mentioned here though.
Old 12-25-07, 05:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad to hear you stumbled upon this great show. The quality of season 1 has sustained through the current season 3...so plenty more episodes worth checking out!
Old 12-25-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Yup, excellent show, I liked season 2 a great deal more. It and 30 Rock are the two funniest shows currently on TV, and also the only two sitcoms I watch on a regular basis.

Care to expand on that a bit?

I enjoy the hell out of 30 Rock (best comedy on the air imho) and, while it's extremely hit and miss, enjoy Flight of the Conchords, and still consider HIMYM one of the best shows currently on the air. The two and a half men comparison isn't a very good one, they're absolutely nothing alike (HIMYM actually has some fairly clever plot structures, writing and characters... where as Two and a Half just, frankly, sucks.) Yet HIMYM and 30 Rock are two of the lowest rated sitcoms on the air, and dreck like 2 and a half men and big bang theory rake em in... I don't get it

Last edited by RichC2; 12-25-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that 2.5 men is awesome.
Old 12-25-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want to like HIMYM, but most of the 4 to 6 episodes I have seen at random have been the worst ones in the series according to my friends who love the show. I think I've seen 5 now that I think about it more and three were terrible, 1 was okay, and 1 was pretty funny. I really need to watch it from the start on DVD and decide for myself. I know that I'll have to get past my dislike of the Ted character/the whole dumb future Ted thing, but there is just too much that is right in my ballpark about this show for me not to give it a shot.
Old 12-25-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think HIMYM is an okay show, it suffers from 2 weak spots in the cast of 5: Marshall and Ted aren't natually funny, and strain to be funny, which has never endeared me to either characters.
Old 12-25-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I think HIMYM is an okay show, it suffers from 2 weak spots in the cast of 5: Marshall and Ted aren't natually funny, and strain to be funny, which has never endeared me to either characters.
I find Marshall to be funny when he's by himself. When he's with Lily he's annoying. Ted is always annoying. Lily is always annoying. That leaves Barney and Robin. They're the only characters I like and honestly Barney is the only reason I even watch the show.
Old 12-25-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you liked the first season the show only gets better after that. Season 2 is better and Season 3 is one of the best, it's like Friends at its best.
Old 12-26-07, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Marshall not funny? I'd watch Jason Segel read a phone book. He's hilarious.
Old 12-26-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love HIMYM and 30 Rock, but don't like 2 1/2 Men and hate Conchords, so where does that leave ME?
Old 12-26-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I love HIMYM and 30 Rock, but don't like 2 1/2 Men and hate Conchords, so where does that leave ME?
If you only like one of the two true funny sitcoms, that means you can only partially like HIMYM. You can't love it. Do yourself a favor and only enjoy it about half as much as you do currently .
Old 12-26-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yet HIMYM and 30 Rock are two of the lowest rated sitcoms on the air, and dreck like 2 and a half men and big bang theory rake em in... I don't get it
How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock aren't the two lowest rated sitcoms on the air. Scrubs and 30 Rock are the two lowest rated sitcoms on the tube. I can't believe that 30 Rock is even being discussed in the same thread as How I Met Your Mother.

I don't like Two and a Half Men either, but The Big Bang Theory doesn't deserve to be mentioned along side that horrible mess. TBBT only gets a view more viewers than HIMYM; it's not even beating it by a million viewers. Rules of Engagement is the sitcom that belongs in the T&AHM "garbage" pile.
Old 12-26-07, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3
it's like Friends at its best.
I was actually considering a blind buy of this show until I saw that line.
Old 12-26-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I can't believe that 30 Rock is even being discussed in the same thread as How I Met Your Mother.
Why? They are both exceptional comedies currently airing on television.
Old 12-26-07, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I detest Two and A Half Men. It's just awful and raunchy. I love the other shows mentioned here though.
Same here. Can't stand that show. Have loved HIMYM since the pilot...also love 30 Rock and Flight of the Conchords.
Old 12-26-07, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clintilona
I was actually considering a blind buy of this show until I saw that line.
I never liked Friends at all, but see my above post.
Old 12-26-07, 01:16 PM

HIMYM is Legand---------------

Wait for it........
Old 12-26-07, 01:16 PM

ary.
Old 12-26-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
legandary? what's that?
Old 12-26-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also recently blind bought HIMYM: S1. Now I need S2, because I really enjoyed the first season.

it's like Friends at its best.
Glad I didn't read something like that before buying the show, as that would have given me pause.

For me, Ted is the only annoying character on the show.
Old 12-27-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
For me, Ted is the only annoying character on the show.
That seems to be the general concensus even for those who have watched since the beginning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.