DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Brilliant episode all around.

This show should stay.
Old 12-20-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
None of which explains why Livia knows the exact date she travels to. In the scene where she must have been plucked from the bathroom (wet hair), I don't see where she would have had time to read a newspaper, yet she tells Dan the exact date.
...And Dan seemed to expect her to automatically know the date as well. They both arrived at the same time and he asked her "What's the date?" NOT, "Do you know the date?” She seemed to unfocus her eyes and spit it right out. Dan didn't seem surprised at all, as if this "power" had been explained before. I suspect that since they had a lot of story to get to they didn't want to rehash the finding out the date scenario 3 or 4 times again.

If I remember Dan asked the year in the nut house but Livia knew the dates the next two times.
Old 12-20-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
None of which explains why Livia knows the exact date she travels to. In the scene where she must have been plucked from the bathroom (wet hair), I don't see where she would have had time to read a newspaper, yet she tells Dan the exact date.
I just see it as her being pretty experienced with this sort of thing. Plus, she lived in the "present" time for a few years, she could have had time to get a basic familiarity with how things work.

And, there are times when Dan gets the jump on her with the date, but that's mainly due to his personal connections with the events.
Old 12-20-07, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still in dis-belief a show this well written and acted could go so un-noticed not only by NBC but casual viewers and i 100% put the blame on the network for the timeslot as well as the serious lack of promotion. i wish i were a neilson household so i could lock out NBC and not allow anything to be watched on that network in my house. since USA has cancelled Dead Zone and 4400, do we start hitting them up to pick up the show? im sure 5M viewers on a cable network would be a welcomed sight for them
Old 12-20-07, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
This was defininitely not a 10pm show. I think if NBC would have put this on Wednesday's at 8 or 9pm, it would have done so much better.

Maybe the 9pm Heroes' audience goes to bed at 10pm??

This is NBC we're talking about here. They didn't have a collapse for no reason.
Old 12-20-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care what NBC puts on 10PM Monday night next year, I'm not watching. This is the second year in a row I've been burned with that time slot. It's just not worth it.
Old 12-20-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

great episode and served as an ok series finale. Still wish there were more episodes. With Dead Zone and 4400 being cancelled maybe there is a snowball's chance in hell this will somehow end up on USA but I'm doubtful. Well folks it's been a nice run, I'm sure I'll see some of you in the upcoming Jericho threads where hopefully we won't lose another one.
Old 12-21-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
AHHHH!! My stupid DVR cut off the last 10 minutes. Must have been the rain. Can someone please summarize how it ended!!!
Old 12-21-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
AHHHH!! My stupid DVR cut off the last 10 minutes. Must have been the rain. Can someone please summarize how it ended!!!
Just go to nbc.com and forward it to the last 10 minutes. You need to watch the final scene, it's not something that should be described.

http://www.nbc.com/Journeyman/video/episodes.shtml
Old 12-21-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
The final scene was awesome. It was the perfect end: you're happy if this is actually the last episode, but it's wide open for more.
I'm not one to get emotional at tv, and I didn't here, but that last scene was beautifully put together. I'm glad they saved that moment to be the last one of the show. I also liked the scene at the kitchen table, when Dan said he wasn't going to stop it. Both of those scenes sort of felt like the actors were saying goodbye, and I'm a total sucker for that.

The zoom in on the eye was kind of weird, but everything else about it was aces.

I also liked how Langley explained why Dan should try to keep his secret a secret, because for the longest I thought why not tell your brother? sister-in-law? Especially when they all think you're crazy. I feel like they needed to give a reason for that, and they did.
Old 12-21-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The final scene gave me a chill. I don't mind series being canceled as long as it ends with some closure. There are quite a few series that lose there steam in a sophomore slump. Maybe they have it right in the UK with 10-13 episode season. It seems to be about the right length for a solid story arc. The pattern seems to be 13 up front with an optional back 9.

My point .... They should always film alternate scenes for the 13th episode in case of cancellation.

Last edited by Ayre; 12-21-07 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-21-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I also liked how Langley explained why Dan should try to keep his secret a secret, because for the longest I thought why not tell your brother? sister-in-law? Especially when they all think you're crazy. I feel like they needed to give a reason for that, and they did.
Well in Dan's case, it would be harded. Zack accidentally witnessed Dan travelling. It was easier to hide from Katie, but she'd have witnessed it eventually.

The coolest aspect of this to me was the "chosen one" aspect. When one dies, the next one is enabled. What I find odd is that Livia seems to be "paired" with Dan - ultimately helping to enable his power. So WAS Dan her mission the ENTIRE TIME? When they said goodbye at the end, I think they realized that that was why she'd even met Dan in the first place - so she could assist him in using his newly acquired powers as well as helping him make sure they were activated. Whoa...

Okay this is the THIRD time I've been burned by shows in this timeslot (previously Studio 60 and The Black Donnellys). I'm about to avoid any show in the slot too - though admittedly I'd have missed the 13 awesome hours of this show. BRAVO!
Old 12-21-07, 07:53 AM

I know this link has been posted before, but I wanted to keep this in front of everyone who's interested in trying to save Journeyman:

http://savejourneyman.funurl.com/

There are a number of things being done, including mailing packages of Rice-a-roni, and sending letters or emails to NBC executives. There's a blog with updates on what's happening. Sure, it looks down and out now, but who knows? All of us who love this show should do our part to let the folks at NBC know how we feel. It may just make a difference.
Old 12-21-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

The coolest aspect of this to me was the "chosen one" aspect. When one dies, the next one is enabled. What I find odd is that Livia seems to be "paired" with Dan - ultimately helping to enable his power. So WAS Dan her mission the ENTIRE TIME? When they said goodbye at the end, I think they realized that that was why she'd even met Dan in the first place - so she could assist him in using his newly acquired powers as well as helping him make sure they were activated. Whoa...
So wait. I think it was Das that brought it up a couple of months ago that Dan was Livia's "project". Maybe the mission all along was to have the previous traveler die of natural causes? Or at least lived long enough so that he could die and that Dan could take over? So know we are to assume that she's done and gets to go get married and live happily ever after?

Why don't they know about Livia though? I'm more confused having seen this last episode then I was before. Was the scientist saying that he could control the travelers or that he just kept track of them?
Old 12-21-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber
So wait. I think it was Das that brought it up a couple of months ago that Dan was Livia's "project". Maybe the mission all along was to have the previous traveler die of natural causes? Or at least lived long enough so that he could die and that Dan could take over? So know we are to assume that she's done and gets to go get married and live happily ever after?
If this is the last episode, I'd THIS mission is done. Livia would not automatically be in the same time as Dan when he travelled. However since she did LIVE in San Francisco for several years as a traveller, she could still help Dan during trips during that timespan. (das may have come up with that idea first or not. I certainly have suspected that from the first episode.)

Originally Posted by Timber
Why don't they know about Livia though? I'm more confused having seen this last episode then I was before. Was the scientist saying that he could control the travelers or that he just kept track of them?
That is unknown. He was saying that OTHERS would want to control the travellers to change things that weren't meant to be changed, disturbing the "natural order". However, travellers like Livia and Dan may be the response to that order being messed up to begin with....
Old 12-21-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the last episode again last night. Interesting to watch since you know, the second time. that the other traveler is not crazy and that he really was actually Married to the Woman.
Old 12-21-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
I love how all movies and shows act like upper level physics class have huge lecture halls. I wish I could experience that, all of mine were in small ass rooms with 20 people max. Hell even my intro level classes weren't half as packed as that lecture hall.
Old 12-21-07, 07:03 PM

Just chiming in with a bit more Journeyman love. I always looked forward to this far more than Chuck on Mondays. It's a shame that got a full season while this got the NBC shaft. Very classy wrap up episode, but here's hoping for a miracle renewal.
Old 12-23-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I'm hoping that 20th Century FOX will eventually release "The Complete Series" however I am a little concerned with the WGA strike going on that we may get zero participation from the creative team in interviews/commentaries. This is the type of show that would really interest me hearing some input from the cast/writers/directors.
Old 12-23-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sigh...add to the list of great shows shot down before their time....hopefully it can be saved, but getting back into production with the writers strike seems like many shows will suffer.
Old 12-23-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Amazing. I just finished watching it, and it was an excellent, yet bittersweet, wrap-up. I really felt like they had a great storyline in place that was cut short, but I'm glad I at least got to see this much. I hope the people involved have better luck on their next outings, and I hope that the people at NBC who decided this show wasn't worth renewing are stricken with a painful, yet not lethal affliction.
Old 12-24-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad it got a decent ending. Last scene was great. I feared it would leave like Jericho did, which would suck huge. I will definately buy the DVD if it comes out just to support the thing.
Old 12-27-07, 01:14 AM

anyone know how many peanuts were sent to CBS before they realized they had to renew Jericho? given that NBC has recieved over 1,300 boxes of Rice-a-Roni (through just the website listed above, there is another out there sending as well i believe) I am hoping (like many others) the get the hint. if you havent donated yet, drop a few dollars and help.
Old 12-27-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superman69
anyone know how many peanuts were sent to CBS before they realized they had to renew Jericho? given that NBC has recieved over 1,300 boxes of Rice-a-Roni (through just the website listed above, there is another out there sending as well i believe) I am hoping (like many others) the get the hint. if you havent donated yet, drop a few dollars and help.
Well again... it is looking more and more like the networks will have nothing new to go to pilot with the strike. I would say they could restart production but may lose some cast. However since nothing new is being written or produced where would the cast/crew/production team go otherwise? Right?
Old 12-27-07, 02:51 PM

we can keep hoping i guess

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.